Match day thread - West Ham v Toon

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Re: Match day thread - West Ham v Toon

Post by Captain Obvious » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:27 pm

We were better in the second half when Diame came on. I'd like to see Diame and Jonjo back for the next game.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 am

Captain Obvious wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:27 pm
We were better in the second half when Diame came on. I'd like to see Diame and Jonjo back for the next game.
Diame/Longstaff assuming Sean will be good to go for our next game.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am

Wish Diame would show that every game. Drove forward strongly every time he got the ball.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 am

Diame tends to the holding mid though, with Hayden on he could start to justify his shirt number.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:45 am

This garden isn't going to sort itself out.

Bugger.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 am

I suppose our run had to come to an end at some point.

Pretty uneventful game despite the two goals. We looked much better in the second half. Never a penalty for their second - although I think that's karma for the Burnley game where they should have been awarded a pen for Ritchie's challenge.

The whole team looked quite sluggish, it's arguable that three games in a week took its toll on the players. The three at the back seemed to have been more a hinderance to the midfield where we got crowded out every time we got the ball. Almiron had an OK game; I thought he could have held onto the ball for longer to try and stretch their defence when on the counter. Rondon physicality actually suited their powerful defenders. Diame made an impact - hopefully he can match his form from this time last season. Fingers crossed that Longstaff injury isn't too serious.

Hopefully the lads can shake this one off, got some trickier fixtures coming up - I'd take 3 points from the next 3 games.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:46 pm

jpg wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:52 am
I suppose our run had to come to an end at some point.

Pretty uneventful game despite the two goals. We looked much better in the second half. Never a penalty for their second - although I think that's karma for the Burnley game where they should have been awarded a pen for Ritchie's challenge.

The whole team looked quite sluggish, it's arguable that three games in a week took its toll on the players. The three at the back seemed to have been more a hinderance to the midfield where we got crowded out every time we got the ball. Almiron had an OK game; I thought he could have held onto the ball for longer to try and stretch their defence when on the counter. Rondon physicality actually suited their powerful defenders. Diame made an impact - hopefully he can match his form from this time last season. Fingers crossed that Longstaff injury isn't too serious.

Hopefully the lads can shake this one off, got some trickier fixtures coming up - I'd take 3 points from the next 3 games.
A look around the league and a lot of teams made a lot of rotations, so I'm not necessarily shocked we locked a tad sluggish. Obviously many of those teams have more depth than us, so I don't necessarily mean it as a criticism, just the reality of sticking with the same general line-up this many matches in a row.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am

Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am
Wish Diame would show that every game. Drove forward strongly every time he got the ball.
This. Originally in his Wigan days wasn't he a attacking mid and continued to play that position on occasions at West Ham and Hull? I always thought of him being a Yaya Toure (not the same talent / ability level) lite who can play box-to-box and be pushed up to number 10 when needed. Certainly looked good when he came on and would like to see him partner Longstaff in the middle pending his injury's not too bad, as much as Hayden's done well he looked burnt out against West Ham losing possession, making too many unnecessary fouls and sluggish with the ball you could just say it's exhaustion but form is always temporary and in terms of class Hayden's a average player at this level with limitations that's why more time Championship clubs will be looking at him as I think he'll be a good if not solid player at that level were he has more time on the ball (Championship top six/one of the relegated Prem sides chasing back promotion next season). Long-term wise for next season Longstaff's the future with the likes of Jonjo and Ki coming back into the fold and possibly Diame if he gets one year extension but I think a defensive mid in the summer will be something we will need to look at that can start alongside Longstaff / Jonjo.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am

I don’t think Diame is mobile enough at 33 to play in the AM role he used to. Same thing happens for a lot of similarly athletic CAM/CM players as they get older.
I had the first custom w***

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:38 pm

Speedo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am
I don’t think Diame is mobile enough at 33 to play in the AM role he used to. Same thing happens for a lot of similarly athletic CAM/CM players as they get older.
Might actually be better suited to coming off the bench for 30 mins when defenses are tiring a little as certainly seemed to have more impact that way against West Ham when he came on at HT.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am
Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:41 am
This. Originally in his Wigan days wasn't he a attacking mid and continued to play that position on occasions at West Ham and Hull? I always thought of him being a Yaya Toure (not the same talent / ability level) lite who can play box-to-box and be pushed up to number 10 when needed. Certainly looked good when he came on and would like to see him partner Longstaff in the middle pending his injury's not too bad, as much as Hayden's done well he looked burnt out against West Ham losing possession, making too many unnecessary fouls and sluggish with the ball you could just say it's exhaustion but form is always temporary and in terms of class Hayden's a average player at this level with limitations that's why more time Championship clubs will be looking at him as I think he'll be a good if not solid player at that level were he has more time on the ball (Championship top six/one of the relegated Prem sides chasing back promotion next season). Long-term wise for next season Longstaff's the future with the likes of Jonjo and Ki coming back into the fold and possibly Diame if he gets one year extension but I think a defensive mid in the summer will be something we will need to look at that can start alongside Longstaff / Jonjo.
Yeah, he's filled an important role the past few seasons, but at his age, I think I'd rather replace him than extend him.