The VAR again!!!

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)
Contact:

The VAR again!!!

Post by daib0 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Last night's match in Paris was decided by a penalty for hand ball given by the ref using VAR. All three ex footballers on the TV panel (Ferdinand, Owen and Hargreaves) were adamant that it wasn't hand ball but the ref in attendance disagreed stating hat as the laws stood at present it was. Surely if there is such a disagreement the laws of the game need clarifying. Surely hand ball was meant to mean that a hand was deliberately used to block the ball.

Even if it wasn't obviously "deliberate" it DID alter substantially the course of the ball. That's NOT the fault of the striker making a shot, so SHOULD be taken into account!!!


Opinions???
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Colly » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:32 pm

I think it's a 'you've seen them given' one, his arm is coming away from his body and had it been given on the field I don't think there'd be many complaints. What I do take issue with is that it wasn't given, then they spent three minutes to decide it was a "clear and obvious error" and therefore a penalty. It's a massively debatable penalty, not even remotely a clear error, and not what VAR was brought in to do. It was brought in to get rid of obvious cheating missed by a referee such as the Henry handball, not to rereferee marginal decisions.

That's my opinion, what is fact is that this definitely happened on Wednesday...

Oh, and never ever listen to Peter Walton or whoever it may have been, the BT Sport ref pundit will always back the decision the referee makes regardless of how farcical it is. They've been doing it for years and it's a complete joke, was worse when they briefly had Mark Halsey actually on commentary in one of their 4 man teams.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:09 am

His arm was a little away from his body, but in the speed of the game you cannot jump with your arms bolted down to your side. It’s impossible. It’s definitely one that you’ve seen given but for me it wasn’t a penalty, nor was it a “clear and obvious error” from the ref so not sure why it even went to VAR. Also, the defender wasn’t trying to make his body bigger, so no penalty for me.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20349
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by ALF » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 am

It was a stonewall penalty. I can't believe it's even being argued. Kimpembes reaction told the whole story.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:43 am

ALF wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 am
It was a stonewall penalty. I can't believe it's even being argued. Kimpembes reaction told the whole story.
Young’s against us was a stonewall (that wasn’t given).

If this one was so stonewall there is no way that so many former pros, pundits, media people, former referees etc would be having different views on it.

It does show that even with VAR we will get some debatable decisions, which is actually good in a way as it gives plenty of talking points.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:54 am

I mean I don't even agree with the term "stonewall penalty" because that's not what what stonewall means, but even using the football terminology that is anything but a stonewall penalty. There was barely an appeal, they were ready to take the corner.

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)
Contact:

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by daib0 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:46 pm

so the VAR is not really helping to clear things up then?!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 26434
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 pm

daib0 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:46 pm
so the VAR is not really helping to clear things up then?!
You’re never going to get 100% of incidents being definitely right or definitely wrong, there will always be grey areas with or without VAR.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 pm
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)
Contact:

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by daib0 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm

do you guys reckon then that the VAR will in some point in the future extend to every part of the pitch and not just goal-mouth incidents?
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20349
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by ALF » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:54 am
I mean I don't even agree with the term "stonewall penalty" because that's not what what stonewall means, but even using the football terminology that is anything but a stonewall penalty. There was barely an appeal, they were ready to take the corner.
Nobody appealing doesn't mean it wasn't handball. His arm is away from his body and blocks the shot whilst moving towards the ball.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:12 pm

daib0 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm
do you guys reckon then that the VAR will in some point in the future extend to every part of the pitch and not just goal-mouth incidents?
It already does, red cards can be reviewed.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5297
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: The VAR again!!!

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:14 pm

ALF wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Colly wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:54 am
I mean I don't even agree with the term "stonewall penalty" because that's not what what stonewall means, but even using the football terminology that is anything but a stonewall penalty. There was barely an appeal, they were ready to take the corner.
Nobody appealing doesn't mean it wasn't handball. His arm is away from his body and blocks the shot whilst moving towards the ball.
It does suggest it was anything but "stonewall" though.

Post Reply