Schaer injured

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Schaer injured

Post by Hjl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:02 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47684741

Got knocked out and swallowed his tongue. An opposition player saved him from suffocating.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Schaer injured

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:45 pm

s***, thankfully he’s alright.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm

Crazy that he was allowed to carry on playing.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 am

ALF wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Totally shameful IMO. He’s had a potentially life-threatening concussion and played on. Not OK
I had the first custom w***

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am

You should be allowed a free substitution if one of your players gets knocked unconscious, in my opinion. It's absolutely insane he was knocked out (and even had an opposition player intervene to stop him swallowing his tongue!) and was made to play on.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 am

Speedo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 am
ALF wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:59 pm
Totally shameful IMO. He’s had a potentially life-threatening concussion and played on. Not OK
Agreed. Can't fault his heart for carrying on, but your health should come before anything.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 am

To be fair they had 3 subs left at the time, if it's unsafe to continue that's on the coaching staff and and the physio.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Heisen wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am
You should be allowed a free substitution if one of your players gets knocked unconscious, in my opinion. It's absolutely insane he was knocked out (and even had an opposition player intervene to stop him swallowing his tongue!) and was made to play on.
This is a good idea, even if they had 3 subs left I think that a 'free sub' for serious head injuries would be a good rule to have.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 pm
Heisen wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am
This is a good idea, even if they had 3 subs left I think that a 'free sub' for serious head injuries would be a good rule to have.
This and also they should be able to do what they do in Rugby. If a player gets a head injury they get subbed off for a head injury assessment by trained medical staff. If the medical staff say it is safe to continue then the sub is reversed, if not then it's made permanent.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:48 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:09 pm

This and also they should be able to do what they do in Rugby. If a player gets a head injury they get subbed off for a head injury assessment by trained medical staff. If the medical staff say it is safe to continue then the sub is reversed, if not then it's made permanent.
Makes complete sense. Football has been so slow to address head injuries - obviously they're not as common as in contact sports, but they still happen relatively frequently, and there's no excuse for how ill-prepared they seem to be in cases like this.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:47 pm

There should be an independent doctor at each game aswell in my opinion, who has the final say on whether a player comes off or not in the event of a head injury. Decisions surrounding head injuries should not be left up to a manager who has no medical expertise and can only see the benefit of the player staying on/ doesn't want to waste a substitute.

The NFL waited way, way too late to address head injuries in the sport and it came back to bite them in the arse, but now they have a very stringent set of rules in place to protect the players. It's about time FIFA and UEFA followed suit.
Last edited by Heisen on Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:52 pm

Heisen wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:47 pm
There should be an independent doctor at each game aswell in my opinion, who has the final say on whether a player comes off or not in the event of a head injury. Decisions surrounding head injuries should not be left up to a manager who has no medical expertise and can only see the benefit of the player staying on/ doesn't want to waste a substitute.
Also a good suggestion! <ok>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Apparently he went on to get MOTM <laugh>

Still should have been subbed tho!