Rondon
68%

Total votes: 25

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Rondon or Mitrovic

Post by Colly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm

oT's post in the match thread has reminded me of an utterly random thought I had yesterday. Given that we've only got Rondon on loan, and Fulham's relegation, would anyone prefer to stick a bid in for Mitrovic at the end of the season instead? I'd imagine the fee might be higher, though we could probably hoy Gayle at them in part payment.

Both have a fairly similar goal record this season in poor sides and Mitro's reputation of ill discipline seems to have utterly disappeared, so for me given the 5 year age gap and the potential he has I'd be willing to give him a go.

I've stuck a poll on though I'm more interested in the comments, would like to get your view rather than "Rafa doesn't want him so no". He probably wont be here in August anyway...

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Re: Rondon or Mitrovic

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:28 pm

Firstly I like Mitro I do, but he simply doesn't work in the tactics Rafa wishes to play. Rondon's hold up play and link up play with Perez and the midfield has been superb something Mitro didn't do during his time at the club.

They have similar number of goals ( 10 and 9 )but Mitrovic has played more games than Rondon (32 to 27) so in a sense Rondon's record is better.

In terms of discipline Mitrovic has been booked 6 times to Rondon's 1 so again a better record there especially considering Rondon's as I stated above is more involved in build up and hold up play which in the premier league can sometimes draw fouls.

Rondon has assisted 5 goals this season to Mitrovic's 1 so he is better in this sense too.

Also If West Brom don't get promoted we can get Rondon for 16.5m compared to the 50m which Fulham currently rate Mitrovic at.
I'll Hazard a guess

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Could we have both?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:35 pm

krully wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:35 pm
Could we have both?
We probably can't have either.

<ashley>

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Mitrovic has left NUFC and won't be coming back. He'd be too expensive for what the club pays for players, has a bad reputation with the club administration and probably wouldn't suit the style of play either.

I know he's a talented young striker but I've seen better players leave NUFC for less money where fans have been less obsessed with mooting their resigning.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm

As much as I loved him, I wouldn't buy him back. Once a player or manager leaves, it's easy to continue seeking them out because we're familiar with them, but it really shouldn't happen.

Though I will say that I think the idea he doesn't fit our tactics is so overstated. His hold-up play was always strong, and I don't think he and Rondon are nearly as different of players as people suggest, which is actually why I was pretty baffled from the start that he had absolutely no interest in playing Mitro for allegedly tactics reasons, and then was so focused on buying a big target man. I don't say that as a criticism of Rondon, because he has done well, but if anything I think it illustrates that Mitro could have too had he played more.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:12 pm

Without any question. The idea that Mitro didn't fit Rafa's system but Joselu and Rondon do is utter nonsense. Target men all three.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm
As much as I loved him, I wouldn't buy him back. Once a player or manager leaves, it's easy to continue seeking them out because we're familiar with them, but it really shouldn't happen.

Though I will say that I think the idea he doesn't fit our tactics is so overstated. His hold-up play was always strong, and I don't think he and Rondon are nearly as different of players as people suggest, which is actually why I was pretty baffled from the start that he had absolutely no interest in playing Mitro for allegedly tactics reasons, and then was so focused on buying a big target man. I don't say that as a criticism of Rondon, because he has done well, but if anything I think it illustrates that Mitro could have too had he played more.
I think i seen somewhere that Mitro wasn't comfortable with the running and off the ball work which Rafa wanted him to do.

Which I agree with 100% I highlighted this in a thread not to long ago I think it was against Huddersfield were Mitrovic loses the ball on just outside the area and doesn't track back (moaned a little too), now of course Huddersfield went up the other end lost the ball and a quick counter seen Mitro score the winner but that was more down to the Huddersfield player making a balls of it rather then a Fulham player winning it back. I will also add that had the Huddersfield defense been smart and more clued in Mitro could have easily been caught offside.

I'll try dig out some distance covered stats between the two this season later this week but I remember looking at it around November and Mitro had an average of 99km compared to Rondon's 60km at the time Mitro had played nearly double the amount of minutes Rondon had, I know different style of play and everything but I think on average Mitro was about 5-6 km a game compared to Rondon's 8-9km which is a massive difference
I'll Hazard a guess

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Loved Mitro but I think Rondon has definitely been better for us.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:49 pm

I still don't really buy into the argument that Mitro had a disciplinary problem. Yeah he got sent off on his debut (I think) against Arsenal and was lucky against Wolves a couple of seasons back not to see red, but I don't think it was anything out of the ordinary or worse than most other players. Look at some of the tackles that Kane has thrown himself into in the past. Mitro was just a young player giving as good as he got, and I suspect his yellow/red card count isn't wildly dissimilar to most physical forwards. As has been said before by people, Shelvey is/was always more of a liability disciplinary wise.

But in terms of the question I'd take Rondon. He has an excellent goals return given the lack of service most of the season (and he didn't start a lot of games early on either), fully buys into how Rafa wants to play, and really works hard all over the pitch. Would I want us to re-sing Mitro? No, that ship has sailed. Plus when he left he came out with the old "living in the spotlight in Newcastle was impossible" type lines.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:19 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:23 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm

I think i seen somewhere that Mitro wasn't comfortable with the running and off the ball work which Rafa wanted him to do.

Which I agree with 100% I highlighted this in a thread not to long ago I think it was against Huddersfield were Mitrovic loses the ball on just outside the area and doesn't track back (moaned a little too), now of course Huddersfield went up the other end lost the ball and a quick counter seen Mitro score the winner but that was more down to the Huddersfield player making a balls of it rather then a Fulham player winning it back. I will also add that had the Huddersfield defense been smart and more clued in Mitro could have easily been caught offside.

I'll try dig out some distance covered stats between the two this season later this week but I remember looking at it around November and Mitro had an average of 99km compared to Rondon's 60km at the time Mitro had played nearly double the amount of minutes Rondon had, I know different style of play and everything but I think on average Mitro was about 5-6 km a game compared to Rondon's 8-9km which is a massive difference
Oh I wouldn't doubt if that was part of the problem, although if I was completely honest, I kinda wish Rondon ran a little less off the ball, because it often seems like he wears down late in matches, and he's overall looked worn down in the latter part of the season. I wonder if the amount of running he does to chase down the keeper and defenders goes a bit to waste. Don't get me wrong, as others have said, he's been a great fit, one of the bright spots of this season, and I do love his effort. I'm quite happy to have him, don't want Mitro back down - but I am anxious to have another good striker option to complement him going forward.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Rondovic for me

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Come next August I wouldn't be surprised if we're starting with Gayle up front with Carroll as back up.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Went for Mitrovic(obviously) but it's a close one. I think the age gap is a massive factor, Rondon isn't getting any younger and he's already gassed at the 75 minute mark. His hold up play is massively overrated by our fans though, it's good but not great.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 pm
Went for Mitrovic(obviously) but it's a close one. I think the age gap is a massive factor, Rondon isn't getting any younger and he's already gassed at the 75 minute mark.
Not sure how that boosts Mitro's position. He always looks chronically unfit. In fact, considering Rondon's work rate I think he looks fitter than Mitro.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:07 am

I think it says a lot that age is the only thing going for Mitro in the comparisons.

Rondon is the better player, he does everything better, scoring, assisting, hold up, workrate, has more footballing intelligence and isn't a t***.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:07 am
I think it says a lot that age is the only thing going for Mitro in the comparisons.

Rondon is the better player, he does everything better, scoring, assisting, hold up, workrate, has more footballing intelligence and isn't a t***.
I think an awful lot of that is very debatable, even before you consider the fact that comparing age suggests Rondon is at his peak (before we've even signed him permanently) while Mitrovic has time to improve. It's not just a number...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am

Don Sholeone wrote:

Yeah this is just wrong. Mitrovic has more goals this season than Rondon has ever got in a PL season. This is despite playing for one of the worst PL teams in history. He even has more international goals than Rondon in 25 less caps. The only things that Rondon has over Mitrovic for definite is workrate and discipline. Even then Mitrovic has grown up a lot, being trusted with the captaincy for half of the season.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:28 pm
Firstly I like Mitro I do, but he simply doesn't work in the tactics Rafa wishes to play. Rondon's hold up play and link up play with Perez and the midfield has been superb something Mitro didn't do during his time at the club.

They have similar number of goals ( 10 and 9 )but Mitrovic has played more games than Rondon (32 to 27) so in a sense Rondon's record is better.

In terms of discipline Mitrovic has been booked 6 times to Rondon's 1 so again a better record there especially considering Rondon's as I stated above is more involved in build up and hold up play which in the premier league can sometimes draw fouls.

Rondon has assisted 5 goals this season to Mitrovic's 1 so he is better in this sense too.

Also If West Brom don't get promoted we can get Rondon for 16.5m compared to the 50m which Fulham currently rate Mitrovic at.
This pretty much sums it up for me. Rondon seems a better fit overall and has played fewer games. Only thing is Mitrov is younger and has more potential to develop and grow while Rondon's discipline, work-rate, attitude, build-up and hold-up play are better. There similar in style but I voted for Rondon as with a full pre-season with Miggy and Perez he'll only get more chances and do better next season plus if we get a few more quality attacking additions to compliment him who knows. He won't get you 20+ goals but 10 - 15 solid return, knows the league inside out, aerial ability, hold-up / build-up play, strong as a ox, works his socks off and fits the current system to a peach.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am
Don Sholeone wrote:

Yeah this is just wrong. Mitrovic has more goals this season than Rondon has ever got in a PL season. This is despite playing for one of the worst PL teams in history. He even has more international goals than Rondon in 25 less caps. The only things that Rondon has over Mitrovic for definite is workrate and discipline. Even then Mitrovic has grown up a lot, being trusted with the captaincy for half of the season.
This. I truly believe Mitrovic is the better player, although I also know he shouldn't (and won't) come back - and may not be a better player in Rafa's system (whatever that means), and I'm at peace with that.