NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2019)

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2019)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm
I'd like us to take a punt on Jarrod Bowen from Hull. Was excellent last season and tops the charts so far this season with 14 goals/4 assists.

I fully expect PL clubs to show interest in January and it would be good if we were one of them.
I don't know much about this Bowen lad but his stats in The Championship don't appear as good as Gayles' and he can't get off our bench. We should be looking at better than "good" Championship players, we need Premier League quality but, unfortunately, the hierarchy aren't prepared to pay the price required.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm
I'd like us to take a punt on Jarrod Bowen from Hull. Was excellent last season and tops the charts so far this season with 14 goals/4 assists.

I fully expect PL clubs to show interest in January and it would be good if we were one of them.
I don't know much about this Bowen lad but his stats in The Championship don't appear as good as Gayles' and he can't get off our bench. We should be looking at better than "good" Championship players, we need Premier League quality but, unfortunately, the hierarchy aren't prepared to pay the price required.
Bowen is considerably younger than Gayle (23ish I believe) and doesn't play as an out and out striker, playing more in a wide role.

I also can't understand why you think topping the current stats table for the championship isn't good enough? 14 goals and 4 assists so far this season is extremely impressive.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:05 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Bowen is considerably younger than Gayle (23ish I believe) and doesn't play as an out and out striker, playing more in a wide role.

I also can't understand why you think topping the current stats table for the championship isn't good enough? 14 goals and 4 assists so far this season is extremely impressive.
In a bang average side as well.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Not knocking Bowen or any points people have been making about him but how many goals/assists did Gayle get in The Championship 3 years ago and yet he still isn't deemed good enough for the Premier League.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm
Not knocking Bowen or any points people have been making about him but how many goals/assists did Gayle get in The Championship 3 years ago and yet he still isn't deemed good enough for the Premier League.
He got 23 goals, don't know about assists and 24 last season. Bowen got 22 goals last season.

But why use Gayle as the benchmark of former championship players? There are plenty of players from that league who have flourished in the premier league and many of them didn't have stats as good as Gayle either. You are going down a rabbit hole by taking Gayle's stats and relative failure to make the mark as being the only stats that count.

You could just as easily point to the success of Vardy or Maddison, but you seem to have decided that championship players can never be good enough just because of Gayle. Doesn't make sense when you can judge him on his own merits.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:46 am

OK, my point probably wasn't being made very well but I'm concerned that he woukdn't be an improvement on what we have at the moment but if we did sign the lad I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Anyway judging by the noises being made by Charnley it appears that, once again, we're unlikely to be doing any business in January.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 am

I think with Bowen he’s younger so has a good scoring record and potential to improve, whereas Gayle isn’t ever getting better now.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:48 pm
UlversToon wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm
He got 23 goals, don't know about assists and 24 last season. Bowen got 22 goals last season.

But why use Gayle as the benchmark of former championship players? There are plenty of players from that league who have flourished in the premier league and many of them didn't have stats as good as Gayle either. You are going down a rabbit hole by taking Gayle's stats and relative failure to make the mark as being the only stats that count.

You could just as easily point to the success of Vardy or Maddison, but you seem to have decided that championship players can never be good enough just because of Gayle. Doesn't make sense when you can judge him on his own merits.
Sure we probably said the same about Murphy !
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:33 pm

I forgot we owned Murphy <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:20 pm

To name two young players who've made the jump from the Championship to the Premier League and played well this year: Mason Mount and Daniel James.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:33 pm
What's a Murphy?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:33 pm
What's a Murphy?
Whats a Murphy with you ?

Nah, I’ll get my coat
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:20 pm
To name two young players who've made the jump from the Championship to the Premier League and played well this year: Mason Mount and Daniel James.
Surely you can't count Mount though any more than you could Tammy Abraham, these are top flight young players loaned out to Championship sides to develop, not hidden gems.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:49 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Surely you can't count Mount though any more than you could Tammy Abraham, these are top flight young players loaned out to Championship sides to develop, not hidden gems.
James Maddisson, albeit the season before, a better example. Came up, admittedly for a large chunk of change, and hasn't looked out of place since.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:10 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:59 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
I'd say Mount counts. He impressed in the Championship for Derby and then slotted straight into a top 4 midfield in the Premier League. He might have been a Chelsea loanee but he had no top flight experience at all.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:18 am

Agreed.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:33 am

Yeah but it's not too useful in a conversation about which Championship players you'd sign when they're contracted to better Premier League sides.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am

No, but it's a demonstration of players being able to make the jump.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 pm

I honestly don't know what we're on about now.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 pm
I honestly don't know what we're on about now.
The point was that some people were discounting Championship performance and suggesting that because Gayle produced there, and hasn't in the PL, that we should be sceptical of Bowen. My point was that those two young players (without PL experience) produced in the Championship last season, and have immediately started well this year in the Prem. I don't really see how Mount already being owned by Chelsea really makes a difference, yes he maybe would be expected to perform well, but he and Bowen played the same opposition.