The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:59 pm
Paul Cook the Wigan manager is the early favourite for the job apparently.
Got a decent record, no doubt they will turn on him when he doesn't win his first 10 games

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm

I've seen that some fans are after Poyet, who has had 4 clubs since Sunderland and hasn't managed for 2 years, or Di Canio who hasn't managed since Sunderland sacked him in 2013. Aiming high.
Kindly deeds done for free!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:01 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm
I've seen that some fans are after Poyet, who has had 4 clubs since Sunderland and hasn't managed for 2 years, or Di Canio who hasn't managed since Sunderland sacked him in 2013. Aiming high.
They're an average League One team. Both of those managers are probably out of their reach <laugh>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:07 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:01 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:59 pm
They're an average League One team. Both of those managers are probably out of their reach <laugh>
I don't think either of them would go back anyway, especially Di Canio who was hounded out by the players and rumours suggest this is exactly what has happened to Parkinson.

The problem is that the next manager will still have the same squad of slightly above average League One players to work with.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 pm

Roy Keane seems to be a popular choice!

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:02 am

Why are they seemingly only being linked to their own former managers and Paul Cook? <laugh>

Would be interesting to see names like Emma Hayes in the mix. Was briefly floated for the Chelsea men's job, but that was a non starter. Women in football don't seemingly get the boost that top level male internationals do (Lampard, Gerrard) in terms of first managerial appointments. Don't see anything like this happening, or even if it would be the right move for that level of club or that calibre of manager. Would be interesting, though.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 am

CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:02 am
Why are they seemingly only being linked to their own former managers and Paul Cook? <laugh>

Would be interesting to see names like Emma Hayes in the mix. Was briefly floated for the Chelsea men's job, but that was a non starter. Women in football don't seemingly get the boost that top level male internationals do (Lampard, Gerrard) in terms of first managerial appointments. Don't see anything like this happening, or even if it would be the right move for that level of club or that calibre of manager. Would be interesting, though.
I suspect because their fans never watch anybody but their own bloody club, and couldn't name another manager but the crazy ones that've already come and gone.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 am

CIH wrote:

I'd say partly down to the level they were playing at being much lower than the men's game?

Women's football has made massive strides, but I'd still think that most Football League teams would comfortably beat a top level women's team.

It will happen at some point, but not yet. Maybe a better route in would be a coaching role at a decent level club.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 am
CIH wrote:

I'd say partly down to the level they were playing at being much lower than the men's game?

Women's football has made massive strides, but I'd still think that most Football League teams would comfortably beat a top level women's team.

It will happen at some point, but not yet. Maybe a better route in would be a coaching role at a decent level club.
Oh yeah, and I do agree with that point. I guess I meant more that the top ex pro's get more of a leg up than I feel they always deserve, rather than female coaches deserving the same. Like you say, the women's game in total is improving not just in quality but in audience, and that can only help. With the current generation of top level women footballers winding down their playing career, it could be interesting to see them transition into management, and not just in the women's game. I think there was a woman manager at Clerment Foot (sp?) in France a few years ago, but don't remember much of note. With the USWNT being fairly popular over there, I could definitely see progress happening there before Europe. The likes of Rapinoe and Morgan seem like they'd be great ambassadors going forward.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:57 pm

I don't think the quality of Women's football should have any impact on women getting jobs as managers in men's football. While the obvious progression into management is playing the men's game professionally, there will be many female coaches who are as, if not more qualified than the likes of Mourinho, AVB and Nagelsmann were when they were given their first managerial roles.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:29 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:57 pm
I don't think the quality of Women's football should have any impact on women getting jobs as managers in men's football. While the obvious progression into management is playing the men's game professionally, there will be many female coaches who are as, if not more qualified than the likes of Mourinho, AVB and Nagelsmann were when they were given their first managerial roles.
Don't disagree, but given Lampard, Gerrard and even the likes of Bowyer and Barton spent their career at an elite mens level I can see why they got managerial roles straight off the bat. Rightly or wrongly, it will be a big/bold move for the first professional mens club to appoint a female manager. I'm sure some will have it in them and have the skills to do the job and it's just a matter of time, but I can also see why it hasn't happened yet.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm

Be good to see that first step for a female manager in the male game, I don't think it'll be anywhere near the top league though. As someone said, only way you'd likely see that is a coach working their way up, ala McClaren, Clement et al. Managers worth their salt in the women's game, the aforementioned Hayes for example, might not want to swap title challenges and CL runs for a league one relegation scrap.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm
Be good to see that first step for a female manager in the male game, I don't think it'll be anywhere near the top league though. As someone said, only way you'd likely see that is a coach working their way up, ala McClaren, Clement et al. Managers worth their salt in the women's game, the aforementioned Hayes for example, might not want to swap title challenges and CL runs for a league one relegation scrap.
That's an interesting point, I wonder at which level a current top female coach/manager would consider in the men's game?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm
CIH wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:37 pm
That's an interesting point, I wonder at which level a current top female coach/manager would consider in the men's game?
Would have to ask them I suppose, I was aware I was treading water a little as it were haha. It's very hard to say, and it does present challenges, that really shouldn't exist, but will be there. A slightly altered example would be the likes of Villas-Boas being in charge of Chelsea, being younger than senior pro's including (but not limited to) club captain John Terry. We as the public will never know for sure, but there was a lot of talk about the senior players not giving the manger respect, with his age - and I suppose never playing the (mens)game at a top level - being a factor. It'd be a slog for any female manager, and it really really shouldn't be. If you're good enough, you're good enough, that should be the only mandate.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:34 pm

I guess a broader question is how much of the gap in quality between the men's and women's game is simply physical? I'd surmise most of it. So I really don't see why the best minds of the women's game shouldn't stack up equally against men. Though I suppose the tactics of one style of game may potentially vary a lot from the other. Which could mean a bit of a learning curve, but also mean they could be more openminded in their approach. Though I'll admit to only really watching women's international football and not club level.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:34 pm
I guess a broader question is how much of the gap in quality between the men's and women's game is simply physical? I'd surmise most of it. So I really don't see why the best minds of the women's game shouldn't stack up equally against men. Though I suppose the tactics of one style of game may potentially vary a lot from the other. Which could mean a bit of a learning curve, but also mean they could be more openminded in their approach. Though I'll admit to only really watching women's international football and not club level.
It's certainly an interesting talking point. Alex Scott is one of the best pundits around, Karen Carney has been doing a lot on BBC as well but I haven't seen how good she is. On the other hand, Eni Aluko was one of the worst pundits I've seen.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Yeah Alex Scott is very good but you can tell some are just on there to tick a box. That said, some male pundits are woeful so no difference.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm
Yeah Alex Scott is very good but you can tell some are just on there to tick a box. That said, some male pundits are woeful so no difference.
Definitely there to tick a box, many many of the former male pro's hit that mark. Alex Scott is a great example. I think hope solo, formally of the USWNT did a bit of punditry in the4 last world cup.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm
Yeah, I'm sure there are arguments to be made that there are different women that would benefit from the opportunity and do a standout job. Though that's no different than men either.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Lee Johnson appointed mackems manager.