The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:26 pm

Steve Bruce was trending on Twitter...not the news we'd hoped for tho:

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:27 pm

Speedo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm

New training schedule for the reserves:
9-10 - gym (strength only)
10-11 - hold up play
11-5 - belly flops
He's had a little bit of managerial experience, so at least it's not just a shitty player linked for the value of very little name recognition. I mean, his experience was in the Finish league(s) and he was pretty crap by the look of it, but hey.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 pm
Can’t say I’ve followed their issues that closely, but definitely thought he only got the job because of his Barcelona history, but that’s usually the way Barcelona have done things in the past.
What good business from Barca, clearly they're as good with managerial contracts as player contracts.
The situation inherited from the previous regime means the club now find themselves very much between a rock and a hard place. Koeman would have settled for a one-year deal. Previous president Josep Maria Bartomeu - in his wisdom - offered him two. Bad enough, but that was just for starters.

The Dutch manager had a permanent contract as coach of the Netherlands, which meant Barcelona had to pay almost 6m euros to release him. Except they didn't have it, so Koeman decided to cough up the fee himself in August 2020, but only after making an agreement that he would be reimbursed the full amount if he did not get a third season at the club.

And it gets worse. Barcelona will have to pay even more if he is fired in the interim. Last week, TV3 reported that a high severance payment - amounting to a total of about 12m euros - is on the table.

In other words, Koeman gets paid handsomely (and more or less the same amount) if he does the job, if he gets fired or if his contract gets renewed.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:59 pm

<laugh>

This is why I have never had any sympathy for a top level manager. It's the perfect job.

You do well, you get well paid, fans love you, happy days.

You do badly, you get well paid, fans don't like you but hey, you're a millionaire.

You do very badly, you get fired (unless you're Steve Bruce), fans don't like you, you get a multi-million pound payoff, you're even more of a millionaire.

It's a win-win job. Think how much the likes of Pulis, Hughes, Allardyce, Pardew etc. have made from being fired over the years? Mourinho has made tens of millions from it <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:17 pm

I can never understand where they find the leverage from? Managers frequently sign to longer terms than clubs ever keep one. Sure another of the top clulbs might come in for them, but realistically there's so few of those jobs and managers to go around and usually only one available at a time. In so many ways managers are treated by owners like they're a dime a dozen, except in how they pay and negotiate their contracts.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:04 pm

So all we need is for someone gullible to come along and offer him a job then...?
I had the first custom w***

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:36 pm

So he'll only walk if someone wants to pay him more basically, the coward. Didn't he walk out of Hull with no where else to go?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 pm

So he’s gone from “I never walk away” to “I only walk away for another job” <laugh>

Makes it up as he goes.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Seems like a non-story. Most people only leave their jobs when they've already lined up another one. There is a real difference between a perceived promotion to a better club/job (he won't find one) and simply quitting to watch football from his couch on weekends.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Yes, although in most jobs you also don’t have the luxury of being able to get sacked for poor performance and still getting paid to leave <laugh>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:35 am

Xisco Munoz sacked by Watford, was rather hoping Bruce might lose his job today!

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:28 am

UlversToon wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:35 am
Xisco Munoz sacked by Watford, was rather hoping Bruce might lose his job today!
This. Watford have done better than us this season.. they've at least won a couple of games.

Xisco in ! Bruce out! <whistle>

I'm sure Watford would find Bruce's vast Premier League experience useful. <awe>

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:56 am

Sanchino wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:28 am
UlversToon wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:35 am
^^^ This ! ^^^^

We cannot even win the sack race such is our ineptitude.
Yet more Ashley obfuscation as he implies that pursuing a sale is more important than paying off Bruce.
This is footballing purgatory
Clydeside & Tyneside

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:03 pm

My god I’d give my left bollock if we could get someone like Thomas Frank as manager - done so well at Brentford.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Big fan of Frank and of Graham Potter at Brighton and when he was at Swansea. Managers that know what they are doing, and have clear expectations going forward. Ahh, a man could but dream

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:02 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 pm
Big fan of Frank and of Graham Potter at Brighton and when he was at Swansea. Managers that know what they are doing, and have clear expectations going forward. Ahh, a man could but dream
Quite galling when you see Brentford and to be fair Brighton playing with a belief, an identity and purpose. Team unity and a self confidence that you admire.
My gawd how on Gods green can Newcastle not even stand comparison with these two.
A right sorry indictment !
I recall the Entertainers 😂
Clydeside & Tyneside

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

I know Brighton struggled last season, but even then you could see there was a plan, a method, tactics, something they were working towards. And now they’re starting to see results to match. We have none of that, it’s literally just throw 11 men on the pitch and see what happens.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:02 pm

Just a very sad indictment of how far my, if not our, beloved club has fallen under Ashley and his mismanagement.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Yep. You could put up with being s*** if you had some faith that we were working towards something but clearly we’re not.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:42 am

Unfortunately lost all hope a while ago under the current regime but for some reason still watch most games when I can - it's hard to let go!

I see Ranieri is in advanced talks with Watford apparently.