Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:09 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:19 pm
AVB has dined out for years on an excellent record with Porto. He was poor at Chelsea and pretty run of the mill at Spurs. Zenit he did alright but they're a big team in a weak league, and at Marseille he was a bit hit and miss it seems.
Only seeing this now. While I agree his early success with Porto perhaps made him a pin up, I think he was unlucky with Chelsea in that the older players weren't happy with his approach and didn't want to know (something which I think came back to nicely bite lampard in the arse).

I think he done a decent job at spurs too but felt he couldn't do more with them without more investment especially after Bales exit, yes he spent money and all the signings perhaps bar soldado all done well.

Having worked with someone who was on his backroom team at Zenit he definitely demands a lot from his players and perhaps over analyses things occasionally.

To give an example he once made the analysis team redo a match analysis briefing 4 times before he was happy with it,he then proceeded to add another 20-30 minutes of footage himself from other games.
I do remember that about Chelsea now you say it and it wouldn’t be the first time the Chelsea old guard back then downed tools when they weren’t happy with the manager.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:02 pm

The romantic in me says AVB would be well worth a go, and frankly we could do with a bit of romance at the club.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:02 pm
The romantic in me says AVB would be well worth a go, and frankly we could do with a bit of romance at the club.
Back when the takeover was still a potential, but Benitez has already gone, AVB was my ideal choice. He definitely wasn't given long enough at Chelsea, amongst rumours of being undermined by the veteran playing staff. Thought he did a decent job at Spurs. Was doing well at Marseille in the first instance, obviously that changed. Plays a relatively defensive style of football, but I feel like he could get the most - or at least more - from our attacking talent. He'd be another that would never be a Mike Ashley appointment. Saying that, I never thought Rafa Benitez would've been in our grasp at any point under this regime. Not saying he should replace Cabbage head, but we could certainly do worse. Wouldn't be likely.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:24 pm

CIH wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm
Colly wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:02 pm
Back when the takeover was still a potential, but Benitez has already gone, AVB was my ideal choice. He definitely wasn't given long enough at Chelsea, amongst rumours of being undermined by the veteran playing staff. Thought he did a decent job at Spurs. Was doing well at Marseille in the first instance, obviously that changed. Plays a relatively defensive style of football, but I feel like he could get the most - or at least more - from our attacking talent. He'd be another that would never be a Mike Ashley appointment. Saying that, I never thought Rafa Benitez would've been in our grasp at any point under this regime. Not saying he should replace Cabbage head, but we could certainly do worse. Wouldn't be likely.
I do think there's a difference between not being an Ashley appointment and not willing to work for Ashley. I actually don't think Ashley gets very involved in managerial decisions, and I think the idea he cares how much a manager will complain is completely overblown. That said, I think the managers people assume he wouldn't want more importantly wouldn't want to work for him.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:24 pm
CIH wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I do think there's a difference between not being an Ashley appointment and not willing to work for Ashley. I actually don't think Ashley gets very involved in managerial decisions, and I think the idea he cares how much a manager will complain is completely overblown. That said, I think the managers people assume he wouldn't want more importantly wouldn't want to work for him.
100% this, we're an ambitionless clubs with an owner who has the sole aim of finishing 17th every year with as little investment as possible, be that on players, managers, salaries, transfers or investment in infrastructure. No half decent manager will be interested (which is why we ended up with Bruce).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:34 pm

The weird thing is though that we have without question spent money under Bruce's stewardship. Can you imagine a decent manager in control of the money that brought in Joelinton onwards? You'd like to think there might still be an ASM and a Wilson, but no Jeff. <awe>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am

Wilder gone.

Not sure of the details i.e. if he was sacked or wanted to leave but that seems crazy. For them to get to the PL and spend 2 seasons in it is a remarkable achievement, he's brought that club a hell of a long way. Last season was an exceptional display by them when everyone thought they'd go straight back down and things have levelled out this season, but he'd have been in a great position to give them a strong season in the Championship next year. They've not even been battered that often this season, a lot of their games have been defeats by the odd goal.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:06 am

It sounds as though it's mostly his decision, to walk rather than been thrown out. As you said, he'd probably be in a strong position to bring them straight back up. Farke at Norwich and Dyche at Burnley s few year ago good examples. There's talk that there were a lot of disagreements between Wilder and the top brass. Chairman felt he'd pumped in a lot of money with little reward, Wilder felt the squad wasn't strengthened enough. A tale as old as time.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:13 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:41 am
Wilder gone.

Not sure of the details i.e. if he was sacked or wanted to leave but that seems crazy. For them to get to the PL and spend 2 seasons in it is a remarkable achievement, he's brought that club a hell of a long way. Last season was an exceptional display by them when everyone thought they'd go straight back down and things have levelled out this season, but he'd have been in a great position to give them a strong season in the Championship next year. They've not even been battered that often this season, a lot of their games have been defeats by the odd goal.
..and they've beaten some decent sides this season. <whistle>

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Pardew has apparently expressed an interest in the vacant Portsmouth job. What have they done to deserve that? <laugh>

Redknapp said he'd go down there tomorrow and take charge for free, but also that he can't do it until after the Cheltenham festival has finished.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:52 am

CIH wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 pm
Pardew has apparently expressed an interest in the vacant Portsmouth job. What have they done to deserve that? <laugh>

Redknapp said he'd go down there tomorrow and take charge for free, but also that he can't do it until after the Cheltenham festival has finished.
Would he bring Niko Kranjčar and Peter Crouch out of retirement?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:01 am

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:52 am
CIH wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:21 pm

I'd be surprised if he didn't at least try

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:25 am

CIH wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:01 am
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:52 am

Young Jermaine Defoe from Rangers could still do a job too!

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:33 am

I wonder if his dog still has that offshore account in Monaco.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:25 am
CIH wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:01 am

Young Jermaine Defoe from Rangers could still do a job too!
I'd typed his name in my post before remembering he's still playing at Rangers. I don't know if he struck me as the type to have such a long career. Not necessarily because he couldn't, but that he wouldn't want to.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:19 am

Xabi Alonso to take the Borussia Monchengladbach job from next season.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:43 pm

I guess he'll be back on the circuit playing La Bamba then
I had the first custom w***

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:32 am

Jose has left Spurs
# stolen from nufc.com :)

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:34 am

Wonder if he had issues with the Super League and criticised it?
I'll Hazard a guess

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am

Wonder what his pay off is?