Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: The Managerial Merry-Go-Round Thread

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:15 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:51 pm
And doesn't he look f***ing happy about it <laugh>
You just know he complained about having to take 5 minutes from tactics video analysis to do the annual team photoshoot. <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 am

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 am

Would take him over Steve Bruce. Mind at this point I’d take almost anybody over Steve Bruce.
I had the first custom w***

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:48 pm

It's obviously nostalgia, but I'd have him back for sure. I was late to following football, only got into it at uni, and Hughton was my first manager. Soft spot there.

He did a decent if not spectacular job at Norwich, Brighton and Birmingham. Notts forest looks a bit of a ball ache of a job at the minute, a parade of managers have failed there as of late. John Terry been linked but that's a tough first managers job. He's been quite patient waiting for his chance, so doubt he'll jump down the dragons neck at this point.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:50 pm

I know nobody likes him, but I’d take a punt on Terry over Hughton, who’s race at the top level is clearly done. Terry has had a decent few years at Villa for experience, and seems less of a helmet since he retired. At least someone like him we could hope he might bring fresh ideas (a bit like what is happening at Palace, albeit well backed). I feel with Hughton we’d just be bored to death as Brighton fans were in his final season or so.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:18 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:50 pm
I know nobody likes him, but I’d take a punt on Terry over Hughton, who’s race at the top level is clearly done. Terry has had a decent few years at Villa for experience, and seems less of a helmet since he retired. At least someone like him we could hope he might bring fresh ideas (a bit like what is happening at Palace, albeit well backed). I feel with Hughton we’d just be bored to death as Brighton fans were in his final season or so.
Tend to agree. I don't think Hughton would bring different results, or even a meaningfully different brand of football. He'd just be a personality we liked more.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
If we did go down that route of young ex player i'd prefer Bowyer but would be happy with Terry or Lampard.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 pm

Also before he was in charge he was assistant for Kinnear wasn't he? Before that he was caretaker for Keegan also if I remember correctly.
So he had been in the club for two seasons allready when he was appointed as manager, the players knew him and trusted the guy.
I can be wrong, but I never saw anything special about him. I bet he was a great guy to work for though, especially since the reaction was so strong when he got fired.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 pm
Also before he was in charge he was assistant for Kinnear wasn't he? Before that he was caretaker for Keegan also if I remember correctly.
So he had been in the club for two seasons allready when he was appointed as manager, the players knew him and trusted the guy.
I can be wrong, but I never saw anything special about him. I bet he was a great guy to work for though, especially since the reaction was so strong when he got fired.
Agreed. I think what worked best for him then is that the players knew and respected him - so they gave great effort and he knew their strengths and weaknesses. He wouldn't be bringing those traits to the table if he returned to a whole new squad.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:05 pm

Tsi wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:03 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
If we did go down that route of young ex player i'd prefer Bowyer but would be happy with Terry or Lampard.
Bowyer has done well for sure, would need to pay compensation to Birmingham if it ever came to it tho.

Lampard I think is a bit too up his own arse to come to us, and probably (rightly) wouldn’t see it as in his long term interests to work for Ashley / Charnley.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:36 am

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:55 am

I know Steve Cooper is supposed to be a great manager and all, but I can't help feeling he looks like he's had a frontal lobotomy...

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am

I hadn't realised Cooper left Swansea at the end of last season. Did a decent job there, could be an interesting appointment for Forest.
Speedo wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:55 am
I know Steve Cooper is supposed to be a great manager and all, but I can't help feeling he looks like he's had a frontal lobotomy...
As opposed to our manager who's tactics imply he's had a lobotomy <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Speedo wrote:
Reminds me a bit of Ed Miliband eating a sandwich.
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:48 am
I hadn't realised Cooper left Swansea at the end of last season. Did a decent job there, could be an interesting appointment for Forest.
Speedo wrote:
As opposed to our manager who's tactics imply he's had a lobotomy <laugh>
<laugh> <applause>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Speedo wrote:
They couldn't have picked a worse photo of him unless he was stepping out of the shower or during an ill-mannered salute (been watching The Chair on Netflix...).

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:58 pm

Anyone else enjoying seeing Koeman on the hotseat? He's obviously having to deal with a lot of off-field problems that impacted who is on the field, but I've never thought much of him as a manager - and after his poor performance at Everton (and then Netherlands) only got that gig because of his ties to Barca.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Can’t say I’ve followed their issues that closely, but definitely thought he only got the job because of his Barcelona history, but that’s usually the way Barcelona have done things in the past.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am

Roberto Martinez favourite if/when Koeman gets the boot. Speculation that long term assistant Graeme Jones would join him there. That would be a jump up for him haha.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:53 am

Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am
Roberto Martinez favourite if/when Koeman gets the boot. Speculation that long term assistant Graeme Jones would join him there. That would be a jump up for him haha.
What's the point in going from Koeman to Martinez <laugh>

Martinez falls into the Southgate bracket. Looks alright as a national team manager but average (at best) club manager.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:03 pm

New training schedule for the reserves:
9-10 - gym (strength only)
10-11 - hold up play
11-5 - belly flops