Women's World Cup France 2019

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Women's World Cup France 2019

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Watched the game on Sunday and have to say it's the first time in a long time I've enjoyed an England football match. Watching them and seeing the passion and hunger of some of the players made me actually want to get behind the team (no lawro). Unfortunately it seems the women's game still attracts a lot of small minded comments and people wanting to put the women's game down which is really sad to see. Sure the quality isn't the highest standard we will see in our lifetimes but neither is grassroots which so many want to get behind.

So hopefully this thread can garner a little bit of support from the forum for the women's game.

Who to look out for: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48575020

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Women's World Cup France 2019

Post by ALF » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 pm

I watched both England games on Sunday and the Womens game was far more entertaining than the Mens. Probably going to watch all of their games in the World Cup if I can.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 pm

I’ve zero interest in international football of any kind!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 am

I followed some of the England vs Scotland match and have to say that I was impressed with Scotland overall and their attitude to going two goals down against one of the tournament favourites.

Hopefully Scotland's Women can make it out of the group stages of the World Cup which would be a first for a Scottish football team of either gender!

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 am

Yeah England/Scotland game was good. Feel England look shaky at the back under pressure and overplay it out of defence.

I can find the goalkeeping of Women's football a bit iffy, but the Jamaican keeper was immense vs Brazil.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:38 pm

Match between Sweden and Chile halted for safety reasons after 70 minutes in Rennes due to thunderstorms.

The conditions were awful but were certainly a leveller between the two sides.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm

12 - 0 usa

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:03 pm

13-0

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:13 pm

<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 am

Keeper <laugh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

There's no excuse for running up the score in a football match like that. Goal differential is not going to matter to them getting out of their group, and there are plenty of ways to play that can reduce the shots you're taking without it clearly taking the piss.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm

The US from what I gather and leaps ahead of everyone else in terms of the women's game, with heavy investment/scholarships common for quite a number of years now whereas nations such as England it has been a relatively recent development.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm

I should clarify though, my bigger issue is still doing big celebrations as they hit double digits. They're the #1 ranked team, act like you've been there and scored before. Though I'll also cop to there being a big rivalry between Canadian and American womens national teams (in most sports, including football) - so I'm strongly biased.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm
The US from what I gather and leaps ahead of everyone else in terms of the women's game, with heavy investment/scholarships common for quite a number of years now whereas nations such as England it has been a relatively recent development.
Definitely. They represent the most famous female (team) athletes in the US, going back to the days of Mia Hamm, with a great collegiate system and a lot of investment. Have had some really unlikable stars (if you're not American, or maybe even if you are) over the past few years though - looking at you Hope Solo.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm
There's no excuse for running up the score in a football match like that. Goal differential is not going to matter to them getting out of their group, and there are plenty of ways to play that can reduce the shots you're taking without it clearly taking the piss.
They should score as many as they can but no need for the celebrations, even primary school kids know not to take the piss after a certain point.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Thai women's team aren't full time professionals either apparently... which wouldn't surprise me.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm
Definitely. They represent the most famous female (team) athletes in the US, going back to the days of Mia Hamm, with a great collegiate system and a lot of investment. Have had some really unlikable stars (if you're not American, or maybe even if you are) over the past few years though - looking at you Hope Solo.
Why is Hope Solo unlikable? She seems alright in her punditry work for the BBC.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm

TJR wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Why is Hope Solo unlikable? She seems alright in her punditry work for the BBC.
I believe she could be a great pundit, but when playing you could always count on her for dumb comments, on-pitch antics, or being a sore loser, like when calling Sweden cowards when beaten by them at the past Olympics (a few examples here https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/hope-s ... statements), or more serious drama like being charged with domestic violence for drunkenly assaulting her sister and nephew.

Now I'm not saying she's a bad person, or that some of the stuff isn't overblown, in fact, I really appreciate her quotes criticising how the American soccer system favours "rich, white kids" and overall her candidness from an athlete is actually fun and considered. I really just meant that she's the kind of player on a rival team that was easy to cheer against.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

I'd agree that the level of celebration was over the top if it was a league match.

When you play for your country and score then you should celebrate.

If they hadn't of celebrated they'd likely be lambasted by Trump and then you'd have all his f*** nugget supporters sending threats anyway.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:04 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm
I'd agree that the level of celebration was over the top if it was a league match.

When you play for your country and score then you should celebrate.

If they hadn't of celebrated they'd likely be lambasted by Trump and then you'd have all his f*** nugget supporters sending threats anyway.
His supporters probably think football is unAmerican. <roll>