Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Re: Rafa leaving official confirmation

Post by Slim999 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Still seems like a really unenforceable clause. I don't doubt what you're saying is true, but from a legal standpoint, I think it'd be pretty hard to require the employer spend x-million pounds per window or whatever.
Like I said, think it's purely speculation. As for it being enforceable, yeah possibly not. Rafa walks out a king and Ashley is clearly the villain, but we will probably never know what exactly happened with the negotiations. While most of us, myself included, are far more inclined to believe it's all Ashley's fault, we don't know if Benitez's demands were reasonable or otherwise.
If Rafa leaving is the decision of the new owners and he was trying to get them to commit to £xm then I think that's fair enough.

They may have another plan / manager lined up and a plan for how to recruit more cheaply.

I pray now that the takeover happens- if it's Ashley at the helm again we are going down - and no dead cat bounce this time.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

If (and I don’t think it is the case) that is the case I’d be worried about the new owners. I highly doubt that Rafa is asking for silly money to spend on players, and the value he brought to the team far outweighed modest transfer demands.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm

People thinking there's going to be new owners 😂 I wish I could share your optimism

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 pm

krully wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm
People thinking there's going to be new owners 😂 I wish I could share your optimism
It's optimism tinged with a sense of dread about could be happening.

If Ashley is still to be our owner still I will be very angry.
But my main anger will be with anyone foolish enough to have already purchased a season ticket

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm
If (and I don’t think it is the case) that is the case I’d be worried about the new owners. I highly doubt that Rafa is asking for silly money to spend on players, and the value he brought to the team far outweighed modest transfer demands.
Any new business owner who's paying 250m deserves the right to select his own manager and transfer policy.

.if the owners still to be Ashley then he is a foolish man - and we need to punish him with a complete boycott

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Pardew has a year left on that 8 year deal, expecting him back soon.

I rated Rafa less than most people and would have happily seen him go on numerous occasions, but now is not one of them. We were half way to a half decent side and system with some talent going forward. Huge mistake from the club.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:05 pm
Speedo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:12 pm

If only our club was smart enough to do that.
Pay two people when one would do? Not bloody likely.
Zero hours contracts it is then.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 pm
Reports saying first Rafa heard was statement released by the club. Ashley didn't even have the dignity to tell him first what a cronut
f***ing shocking that mind
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:06 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 pm
No manager, limited coaching staff, no striker, limited central midfield options, lack of fullbacks, only about 7 weeks until the transfer window closes and the season starts, ideal.
Pft. Sounds like my day job.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:37 am

Well, it's taken me 12 hours but I finally found a silver lining. I won't feel so bad replacing some other cronut rather than Rafa as manager in next season's Football Manager.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:37 am

Have we handed Avram Grant a 10-year deal yet?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:45 am

Have I woke up and all of this was just a bad dream?

Seriously, just when you think this club couldn't get any worse. Rafa was building from the ground up and getting involved in every aspect of the club making sure that things were done right compared to the shambles we were before and all of that has been wiped out. Add to that that their won't be a Rondon deal now (his partnership with Perez kept us up), Perez (though inconsistent an important player for us) will probably move on, Hayden who was excellent during the second half of last season will be gone, Diame (useful at times has already left)...I could go on but I'll just depress myself.

Pre-Rafa real apathy had set in, I didn't care about cames, I just shrugged off every defeat, but over the last few years Rafa has made me care about the team again, rather than just looking for results laughing at 'another hammering'. Right now I'm back at the stage where I really don't care what happens next season. Of course that could change if a takeover happens or we appoint a decent manager, but I'm not holding my breath.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:51 am

The situation is easily sorted, Rafa is not the be all and end all unfortunately the board is utterly incompetent.

Only hope is an increasingly unlikely takeover

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 am

Why would Rafa have left of there was a takeover imminent? I'm pretty sure it's over.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Would you take Ashley's word that a takeover was soon to be completed and sign a new contract before it was official? I wouldn't.

sammyboy2488
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by sammyboy2488 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm

Saddened, soured my birthday celebrations, although i'm not suprised . I'm now swivering to renew my membership I will probably still do it blind faith etcetc. I fully get and understand why many fans and long standing ticket holders wont renew. Was there not a statistic doing the rounds that even if we had an empty ground the clubs would all make mega dough due to the tv rights. Best manager Rafa since the late Sir Bobby. Gutted as Rafa gave us hope. Genuine believe.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 pm

sammyboy2488 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Saddened, soured my birthday celebrations, although i'm not suprised . I'm now swivering to renew my membership I will probably still do it blind faith etcetc. I fully get and understand why many fans and long standing ticket holders wont renew. Was there not a statistic doing the rounds that even if we had an empty ground the clubs would all make mega dough due to the tv rights. Best manager Rafa since the late Sir Bobby. Gutted as Rafa gave us hope. Genuine believe.
Yeah, matchday income is only a small % now and most clubs don't need fans (financially speaking). I'm also not renewing my membership, waste of money.
Last edited by Bodacious Benny on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammyboy2488
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by sammyboy2488 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Yeah, matchday income is only a small % now and most fans don't need fans (financially speaking). I'm also not renewing my membership, waste of money. The last part I fully get mate. I probably will still re-new, more so because the match is only a small sub-plot the night about sociables before and after the match , sometimes that's more uplifting than the match itself! Catching up with toon mates old and new. Depends on individual expectations , and lets be honest bigger priorities for all outside of the match. I fully get how big a deal it is to the toon fans, I'm a Scottish based one didn't think the forum was still ongoing ...... Pleased to see as its a great place for a debate .
[/quote]

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm

I mean, should a takeover happen, they could obviously hire him back. I'll be interested to hear statements from Rafa, because nobody seemed to blame him that he wasn't taking meetings or returning calls with the front office over the past week, so he couldn't be too surprised that they confirmed the contract wouldn't be renewed if he was no longer trying to negotiate with them.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:28 pm
sammyboy2488 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Yeah, matchday income is only a small % now and most clubs don't need fans (financially speaking). I'm also not renewing my membership, waste of money.
It's a small percentage but empty stadiums don't make good tv.