The California Kid
Tindall's Hoody

Re: The next manager?

Post by The California Kid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 am

CIH wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:11 pm
I don’t think De Boer was necessarily crap, his issue was that he tried to get Palace playing a way that the players just weren’t equipped for. So stubbornness was his issue.
And to be fair he was hardly given time to build on his new philosophy, the Palace owners clearly panicked. Should've stuck with the tried and tested likes of Hodgson/Big Sam in the first place if they weren't willing to give something new a real try. I hope we can have patience as fans if we get a continental type in, although I seem to recall a minority of fans on here were getting frustrated even with Benitez when the going was rough early in the season. I used De Boar and Remi Garde as examples purely because they were both coaches heavily linked to us at one point, as well as their careers in England being short lived and unimpressive. Unfortunately there is a logic to sticking with the old guard safe hand appointments.
Quite true. De Boer also experienced major issues at the start of this years MLS campaign with Atlanta United. He took over from Tata Martino, who won the MLS Cup and then left for Mexico. The stylistic shift was drastic for Atlanta and they couldn't score for the first 3 matches, iirc. They're doing better now as his system had a stronger grasp on the squad.

My local club is the San Jose Earthquakes. They brought in Matias Almeyda to much fanfare- but through a lack of talent the club had + his new philosophy they were getting destroyed through the first 4 matches. They're also doing much much better now that the players understand their roles and Almeyda has also adapted to the strengths and weaknesses if the squad.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 am

Welcome calafornia kid!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:12 pm

The California Kid wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 am
CIH wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:28 pm

And to be fair he was hardly given time to build on his new philosophy, the Palace owners clearly panicked. Should've stuck with the tried and tested likes of Hodgson/Big Sam in the first place if they weren't willing to give something new a real try. I hope we can have patience as fans if we get a continental type in, although I seem to recall a minority of fans on here were getting frustrated even with Benitez when the going was rough early in the season. I used De Boar and Remi Garde as examples purely because they were both coaches heavily linked to us at one point, as well as their careers in England being short lived and unimpressive. Unfortunately there is a logic to sticking with the old guard safe hand appointments.
Quite true. De Boer also experienced major issues at the start of this years MLS campaign with Atlanta United. He took over from Tata Martino, who won the MLS Cup and then left for Mexico. The stylistic shift was drastic for Atlanta and they couldn't score for the first 3 matches, iirc. They're doing better now as his system had a stronger grasp on the squad.

My local club is the San Jose Earthquakes. They brought in Matias Almeyda to much fanfare- but through a lack of talent the club had + his new philosophy they were getting destroyed through the first 4 matches. They're also doing much much better now that the players understand their roles and Almeyda has also adapted to the strengths and weaknesses if the squad.
It really takes time for a manager to get their team playing they way they intend, especially if they haven't had a chance to influence the squad, or the front office didn't consider the squad when signing the manager. But you have to show some patience and allow the opportunity for everyone to get on the same page - something too rarely given.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Have the club released any statement yet regarding the manager situation? It seems eerily quiet everywhere, newspapers don't even seem to be bullshitting anymore about who's next!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Toon Ireland wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm
Have the club released any statement yet regarding the manager situation? It seems eerily quiet everywhere, newspapers don't even seem to be bullshitting anymore about who's next!
Zilch.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Supposedly none of the staff at the club have any idea what's going on. Some journalists are reporting Redfearn will take preseason training and others are saying it'll be Dawson.

Mike Ashley was briefly in Newcastle today so maybe something is happening giving he very rarely ventures up.

If we don't appoint a new manager soon then at least we know a takeover is close. If Ashley/Charnley appoint a manager then we can rule out a takeover anytime soon. As if a takeover was imminent then surely you'd leave that to the new owners to sort, allowing them to bring in their own man.

So no news / new manager can only be good news on the takeover front.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm

We’ll probably get the first ever PL manager on a zero hours contract.

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:27 pm

TJR wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:09 pm
Supposedly none of the staff at the club have any idea what's going on. Some journalists are reporting Redfearn will take preseason training and others are saying it'll be Dawson.

Mike Ashley was briefly in Newcastle today so maybe something is happening giving he very rarely ventures up.

If we don't appoint a new manager soon then at least we know a takeover is close. If Ashley/Charnley appoint a manager then we can rule out a takeover anytime soon. As if a takeover was imminent then surely you'd leave that to the new owners to sort, allowing them to bring in their own man.

So no news / new manager can only be good news on the takeover front.
That's what I was thinking regarding the takeover, if it was dead and buried the club would of said something about a search for a new manager, the wall of silence is very frustrating though. As it stands it could be Gary Monk with 50p to buy half a team or Mourinho with oil money!!! At least it's never boring supporting NUFC!

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:47 pm

On the other hand why would we be selling players - Perez meeting with Leicester apparently - if a takeover was happening?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:48 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:47 pm
On the other hand why would we be selling players - Perez meeting with Leicester apparently - if a takeover was happening?
Need space in the squad to register James Rodriguez.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm

UlversToon wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:47 pm
Ashley stripping every last penny he can get from the club before he fucks off?

You're probably right thought, there isn't a takeover. The club is dead.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm
Imagine though if we signed 12 managers on zero hours contracts. Just drag Allardyce out for Arsenal etc. <awe>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am

Chronic reporting we've approached Roberto Martinez.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:17 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:11 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm
Imagine though if we signed 12 managers on zero hours contracts. Just drag Allardyce out for Arsenal etc. <awe>
Please don't give Mike any ideas

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am
Would he want to leave the Belgian national job for this s*** so?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
I doubt he would either but stranger things have happened in football. He wouldn't be my choice but i'm really hard pushed to think of anyone better that would work under Ashley.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:06 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
I mean unless he thinks he can get to the Euros final/win it next year then he's already taken them to their best ever result (3rd place in 2018)... good time to leave for him?

I think Roberto Martinez is the best manager we've been (realistically) linked with tbh. I don't think he'd be terrible, if we sign some decent players who fit his style.
I had the first custom w***

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Luke Edwards saying Martinez isn't interested.
I had the first custom w***

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Speedo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:40 pm
Luke Edwards saying Martinez isn't interested.
Step forward, Joe Kinnear