Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: The next manager?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:16 pm

jpg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:10 pm
Toondes wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 pm
Why would we be picked less by sky if we had lower attendances ? Genuine question ? Surely more people would buy sky if they weren’t attending matches ?
Sky love broadcasting our games because a) there’s always a constant narrative; albeit a negative one, and b) because we manage to fill one of the largest stadiums in the Premier League and in turn looks good on TV. Both of these things help promote their product.

The club doesn’t make any revenue from Sky selling more memberships.
I pretty much agree, but the more times you’re shown on tv the more money the club gets (additional £1m per game or thereabouts).

I wonder where we are capacity wise now. I suspect only about 7th largest.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Just checked and we are seventh largest so that’s something else we’ve fallen back on. Give it a few more years and the likes of Wolves will pass us as they’ve got plans for an expansion. Though there is the argument that we’re constrained by location.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:19 pm

I will actually delete my tf account if Bruce is the next manager

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:37 pm
People are free to do as they wish, and I won't judge them for wanting to watch their team, but they are enabling Ashley.
Say what you want about the % income coming from matchday, but >50% attendance would cost a lot more than the drop in income. We'd be picked less for TV and sponsors wouldn't be as keen either.

This is not the club I adored as a kid. I'm done until we get an owner with an interest in winning as many games as possible.
It IS the club you adored as a kid. The one constant IS the club. The owners, the managers the players are all transient in nature, the football club at SJP IS the constant. That is the institution that demands and receives the unqualified support. You don't just stop caring.
Its undeniable that presently supporters near and far are questioning their renewing , attending, purchasing, etc. all because of the current regime. There's anger, frustration and utter despair frankly, but the support stays. My concern is that an adversely negative fan reaction, irrespective of provocation has a hugely negative effect on the players.

Each to their own, but come game day, acht, I seriously just dunno presently...............................hopefully before then something genie like happens. Otherwise, its strap in for the roller-coaster.
This is exactly what has happened in the 11 years of Ashley. He's broken me and other fans down to complete apathy.

I'll always want the team to do well, but I no longer support the club.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm
seaside nipper wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

It IS the club you adored as a kid. The one constant IS the club. The owners, the managers the players are all transient in nature, the football club at SJP IS the constant. That is the institution that demands and receives the unqualified support. You don't just stop caring.
Its undeniable that presently supporters near and far are questioning their renewing , attending, purchasing, etc. all because of the current regime. There's anger, frustration and utter despair frankly, but the support stays. My concern is that an adversely negative fan reaction, irrespective of provocation has a hugely negative effect on the players.

Each to their own, but come game day, acht, I seriously just dunno presently...............................hopefully before then something genie like happens. Otherwise, its strap in for the roller-coaster.
This is exactly what has happened in the 11 years of Ashley. He's broken me and other fans down to complete apathy.

I had definitely fallen into apathy under Pardew (when we waited far too long to fire him) and McClaren. Benitez coming in pulled me back in though, even when the football was rubbish to watch at times the club was heading in the right direction on and off the pitch and he'd created a pretty close-knit group of players and the fans were backing the team again. Rafa going has plunged my straight back to apathy.

PTAO?

Post by PTAO? » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm
PTAO? wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

I had definitely fallen into apathy under Pardew (when we waited far too long to fire him) and McClaren. Benitez coming in pulled me back in though, even when the football was rubbish to watch at times the club was heading in the right direction on and off the pitch and he'd created a pretty close-knit group of players and the fans were backing the team again. Rafa going has plunged my straight back to apathy.
I'm 100% with you. Benitez was the best thing to happen to this club in a decade, and I'm straight back to where I was before he was hired, if not lower.

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Does Bruce fully appreciate what he's getting himself into? In his shoes I'd steer well clear of Newcastle. He'll be barracked by the fans, likely disrespected by demotivated players, not given funds to sign anyone beyond the usual bare minimum loans, watch us get bulldozed by every club until he gets sacked in March next year probably. Is Sheffield honestly that bad?

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm
saves = survival wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am
As far as I'm concerned, if you attend a match this season you're a scab.
People are free to go to matches. Got a lot of respect for them if they want to put themselves through Steve Bruce to support the team.

Imagine turning against your fellow supporters. Worst part is you'll come scurrying back if things ever start going well again.
I chucked my season ticket back in 2014, half way through the season. The club had no ambition back then and nothing has changed. People have had years to work out and cancel their ST's and yet they go back. Madness. I cost myself £275 and although that's my personal decision, it's an easier decision to make when you've not already paid for it.

All this support the team patter is ridiculous too. The team are paid by the regime, they are employed by the regime. They will be gone by the time the club is wrestled from the current owners hands. Personally, the more the players on the pitch suffer, the more likely we are to seeing new owners. The players for me would be collateral damage.

When I left I said I'd never pay another penny to the club until the ownership changed.

The fans aren't even considered customers of the club. Sky subscription holders and Sky TV are the customers. As long as our fans turn up and continuously bombard the likes of TalkSport with phonecalls, we'll continue to exist as we do. They love having Newcastle in the Premier League because it's easy money.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Does Bruce fully appreciate what he's getting himself into? In his shoes I'd steer well clear of Newcastle. He'll be barracked by the fans, likely disrespected by demotivated players, not given funds to sign anyone beyond the usual bare minimum loans, watch us get bulldozed by every club until he gets sacked in March next year probably. Is Sheffield honestly that bad?
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Clydeside & Tyneside

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

I honestly don't think I'd even bother to watch any games if Bruce got the job.

This whole saga has left me feeling totally apathetic with football.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:29 pm

R&B wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am
You must admit. ashley made the perfect appointment from his point of view (the one who never want to sell the club at first place). He hired an old english dinosaur who is liked by the press just as any other english dinosaur. So if you turn against him since day one you'll be that deluded geordie full with blind hate of whatever decision ashley made about Newcastle. Also he hire a geordie. So if you turn against him since day one you'll be that deluded geordie full with blind hate of whatever decision ashley made about Newcastle. Simon Jordan always start the rim job about Steve Bruce.

The fat f*** and his clique are like the nazis. Just in a decade they somehow manage to brainwash a mass of people making them zombies. Support the team not the regime... Because that works. Meanwhile KK said back in 08` that the club going nowhere under the fat f***. Cheers.
I think you're giving them too much credit. There isn't some big considered conspiracy here to make fans look bad. The idiots in charge knowing nothing about football, have no contacts in football, and basically tried to hire one of the like 5 old English men they know and have the phone number of.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:16 pm
jpg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Sky love broadcasting our games because a) there’s always a constant narrative; albeit a negative one, and b) because we manage to fill one of the largest stadiums in the Premier League and in turn looks good on TV. Both of these things help promote their product.

The club doesn’t make any revenue from Sky selling more memberships.
I pretty much agree, but the more times you’re shown on tv the more money the club gets (additional £1m per game or thereabouts).

I wonder where we are capacity wise now. I suspect only about 7th largest.
I don't think stadium size really has much to do with what matches Sky airs. I'd suspect it has a lot more to do with viewership, ongoing narratives, etc. Besides, stadium size shouldn't be a pissing match, and there are plenty of clubs not filling their stadiums regardless of how many seats they have.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm

To be clear I'm nowhere near as definite or defiant as my reply to saves = survival (what a name) suggests, I just find accusations of "scabs" ludicrous and it just strengthens my resolve to go. I think if I actually finally decided to stop but saw Steve Wraith on the way to cancel I'd change my mind...

I just can't give it up. I'd miss watching the team, I'd miss the crowd of regulars around me that I'd never see again, and I'd feel ridiculous starting again just because we got new owners. If I'm out I'm out, and I'm not ready for that yet.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm
To be clear I'm nowhere near as definite or defiant as my reply to saves = survival (what a name) suggests, I just find accusations of "scabs" ludicrous and it just strengthens my resolve to go. I think if I actually finally decided to stop but saw Steve Wraith on the way to cancel I'd change my mind...

I just can't give it up. I'd miss watching the team, I'd miss the crowd of regulars around me that I'd never see again, and I'd feel ridiculous starting again just because we got new owners. If I'm out I'm out, and I'm not ready for that yet.
Here's an alternative. Go to the pub on a match day and watch the match. Message those who are regulars around you and choose a central venue to attend. It's pretty much the same. You get the comradery without having to sit outside and watch the s****.

Take up a hobby that you've always wanted to get stuck into and do that instead on a Saturday. That £500 could go a long way towards something that you'd love to try.

----

Also, my username relates to the Dubravka clanger era.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Ken's only just graduated from his 3210, I can't expect him to know how to send messages.

Uncle Paul
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Uncle Paul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:14 pm

How anyone could attend games after this is a joke! He’s laughing at us. Stop being so soft and stand up for the club we all love. We support the team and always have, but that fat bastard needs to understand he can’t win!!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Tsi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am
It's crazy when someone like Florez is available for free alright he might not be everyone's choice but f***ing hell he's a way better option than Bruce.
This is my biggest gripe with this, I'm not going to slag off Bruce Nd write him off as you don't know until you know, but of all the options it's the most uninspired one you could think of, even championship teams and teams around us are so ambitious with their appointments yet we are jumping on the merry go round of managers and plucking out an outdated journeyman rather than picking up a young hungry manager looking to make a statement.

The club ATM is 10years behind the times they are living in the past with every aspect of the club, training facilities, transfer fees, wages, manager, you name it it's completely outdated.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Steve Bruce

<neg>
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm
Tsi wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:54 am
It's crazy when someone like Florez is available for free alright he might not be everyone's choice but f***ing hell he's a way better option than Bruce.
This is my biggest gripe with this, I'm not going to slag off Bruce Nd write him off as you don't know until you know, but of all the options it's the most uninspired one you could think of, even championship teams and teams around us are so ambitious with their appointments yet we are jumping on the merry go round of managers and plucking out an outdated journeyman rather than picking up a young hungry manager looking to make a statement.

The club ATM is 10years behind the times they are living in the past with every aspect of the club, training facilities, transfer fees, wages, manager, you name it it's completely outdated.
That's just it. They don't have a mind for football, or frankly, an interest in football. It's a business - that frankly he's not even very good at running. Everyone thinks they're despicable, plotting, evildoers trying to antagonize the fans; but the sadder reality is that they're not even thinking about the fans at times like this, they're just using what few names and contacts they have to get by a little longer and continue saving money until he can get out with his several hundred million pounds.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Personally think this is the beginning of the demise. Either he finds a buyer this season or we plummet like Sunderland.

No way if we go down we come straight back up. We'd need to spend a bucket load to have a promotion winning team and who would he hire if we go down?

Do or die right now.