Boycott

AshleyOutPleez
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Boycott

Post by AshleyOutPleez » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 pm

What do people think about the boycott?

I have read that around 16000 seats will be empty against Arsenal. Do we know how many tickets are sold?

And however many seats will be empty, is it enough to make a change?

I live abroad, so I don't know what other fans are thinking. But to me the only thing that makes sense, is to leave SJP until Ashley is gone!

Apparetly that may take 'forever'.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Boycott

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:06 am

Each to their own, but I’d be surprised if there were as many as 16,000 empty seats.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Asprillasfurcoat
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Asprillasfurcoat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am

Not really for me to comment, living in Swansea ( but I will <laugh> ) - mostly away games for me, but I genuinely can't see what the problem people have with missing JUST ONE GAME ?

Would it really be the end of the world ? Appreciate people want to see the new team, but would it kill anyone to wait a fortnight ?

The annoying part is going to be those people who use the 'support the team, not the regime' argument to attend, but will then sit in silence for 85 minutes, clapping politely now and again. If you're going to use that argument, then make some bloody noise !
What a player! What a signing! What a day for Newcastle United! .. actual BBC commentary from Moussa Sissoko's first game for Newcastle United

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 am

It’s a fair point, merely turning up isn’t really supporting the team. I’m not local either but that’s a lot of the reason I much prefer going to away games as pretty much everyone gets involved.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

As someone who was strongly considering it but has now decided against, my logic is simply that yes I could miss a game, but who am I spiting other than myself? I've already paid, he doesn't give a toss whether I'm in the seat or not, so who's the winner there.

The other thing is that I find the "he's only buying players to stop the boycott" argument ridiculous. a) He really doesn't care about it enough to spend £70m to avoid a few empty seats, and b) even if that was the case, surely that's a good thing? Outside of Rafa going (and there's clearly two sides to that story) I'm pretty positive about our summer dealings, and I'm genuinely looking forward to Sundays game. I could boycott, but I'd rather support my football team.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am

I'm will not watch it in the pub on Sunday.

It's not a boycott though as I'm on stupidly strong meds due to a torn thigh muscle and if I had a beer then I'd probably end up in a coma.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:04 am

Another remote fan who only does to SJP visiting family, so not relavent to me. Don't judge ppl either way but support idea.

However.

This is a Newcastle forum.

Spelling boycott correctly is simply unacceptable.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm

To each their own, but as Colly said, at this stage it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It often feels a bit self-righteous to me, because I'm not sure what they expect to accomplish? I'm still of the mind Ashley would gladly sell and get another 350m of money to spend on more failing high street brands, but I don't know how empty seats will achieve that? When has he ever cared about negative public relations? And are billionaires going to be any more likely to stump up the money because seats are empty? If you don't want to watch, definitely don't, but all the bluster feels like a dog and pony show simply for the sake of it.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:46 pm
To each their own, but as Colly said, at this stage it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. It often feels a bit self-righteous to me, because I'm not sure what they expect to accomplish? I'm still of the mind Ashley would gladly sell and get another 350m of money to spend on more failing high street brands, but I don't know how empty seats will achieve that? When has he ever cared about negative public relations? And are billionaires going to be any more likely to stump up the money because seats are empty? If you don't want to watch, definitely don't, but all the bluster feels like a dog and pony show simply for the sake of it.
Scab
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Dog and pony shows.

<awe>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:43 pm

CIH wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:00 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Scab
Definitely a self proclaimed scab.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Well I'm going on Sunday.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:45 pm

At work or I'd be going, as it is League Cup will probably be my first and only game until end of September depending on who we get.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am
Have the meds already kicked in?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:56 am

If we’d had the transfer window we’ve had under Rafa people would be creaming their pants. We’ve lost two strikers and replaced them with three who could do bits (ASM, Joelinton, Carroll). We’ve strengthened in the full back positions, which needed doing and there’s some other positives (Almiron, Longstaff being fit etc). All in all, it’s been a good window.

Personally, I think destabilising the team would probably have a more depressing outcome than supporting it - either way Ashley will be here until there’s an offer he decides is enough - if literally nobody turned up we’d be relegated and nobody would want us anyway. We can either destabilise things and play in the Championship or support and play in the Prem.

PS I know it’s not a like-for-like, but Steve Bruce had a better points tally during his 2 full seasons at Sunderland than Rafa did for us in his 2 full seasons in the Prem with us. So the ship isn’t sinking. In fact, I’d say it has a little potential

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:43 am

Won't make a difference.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:39 am

Fans have no power these days due to the huge difference in TV money versus fan revenue. So there is zero point in boycotting the games, by doing so people just jeopardise the performance of the team and miss out on watching their team play.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:43 am

This boycott needs to fail drastically, the tactics and vile attitudes people are using to get it off the ground are more dangerous than Mike Ashley, I do not want a successful boycott
to justify all the bullying, abuse and name callers coming from sections of the boycotters. The vile behaviour will only get worse if it's a success, and will just attract more wankers to the protest groups, the same sort that think chanting for Tommy Robinson is acceptable.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:53 am

Some of the stuff on twitter is embarrassing, people suggesting the boycott will fail because people who don't normally go will fill the spaces. Not that the people loudly talking about boycotting never went in the first place. Course not.

By the way, are you @angel_batistuta on the twitter? Similar namey thing and similarly sensible posts...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am

Micky Quim wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:42 am
Have the meds already kicked in?
I have this constant feeling of being off my t***.

It's nice.