Match Thread - Spurs v NUFC

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Re: Match Thread - Spurs v NUFC

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 pm

Rightly criticised for the display against Norwich so i think he deserves the praise for this, seen too many people on forums and social media unable to bring themselves to do so.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 pm
Rightly criticised for the display against Norwich so i think he deserves the praise for this, seen too many people on forums and social media unable to bring themselves to do so.
yeah, anything good is only attributable to Rafa, obviously

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Yep Rafa took ten games to get a win last season and failed to get an away victory against a top six side in all twelve attempts and yet some want to credit him now rather than give the credit where it is due. Unfortunately the Cult of Rafa will be with us for some time yet.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm
Yep Rafa took ten games to get a win last season and failed to get an away victory against a top six side in all twelve attempts and yet some want to credit him now rather than give the credit where it is due. Unfortunately the Cult of Rafa will be with us for some time yet.
The cult of Rafa is a perfect description for the system of thinking some of our fans seem to be in

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 pm

It's been around for a fair while.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:33 pm
We all called it :bandit:
the first couple of pages of this thread are HILARIOUS

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:33 pm
We all called it :bandit:
Colly wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:50 am
I fancy us, I'll take a 3-1 too.
Never in doubt.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm
vrabbit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:50 am
I fancy us, I'll take a 3-1 too.
Never in doubt.
there was one dude who nailed the score, I forgot who now (too lazy to look back and search)

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Got to say, brilliant defensive display yesterday and a great result. Also credit where it's due to Joelinton, I (rightly) absolutely slated him for his displays against Arsenal and particularly Notwich but he was like a completely different player yesterday.

Hopefully we can keep this up going forwards. If we beat Watfird it's been a very acceptable start and hopefully we do then build on that.

I'm delighted Brice listed to the criticism and changed the formation. That's a massive plus point. An even bigger positive is dropping Shelvey. He's a luxury player we can't afford. We're much better playing Hayden and Longstaff as a two rather than trying to shoehorn Shelvey into a 3. He's good on the ball but off it Shelvey is a liability we aren't good enough to afford.

Well done to Bruce for both dropping Shelvey and admitting he got the formation wrong early doors. It takes a brave man to go back on his plans after two games but he's got this right and earned himself some more time.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 pm
Got to say, brilliant defensive display yesterday and a great result. Also credit where it's due to Joelinton, I (rightly) absolutely slated him for his displays against Arsenal and particularly Notwich but he was like a completely different player yesterday.

Hopefully we can keep this up going forwards. If we beat Watfird it's been a very acceptable start and hopefully we do then build on that.

I'm delighted Brice listed to the criticism and changed the formation. That's a massive plus point. An even bigger positive is dropping Shelvey. He's a luxury player we can't afford. We're much better playing Hayden and Longstaff as a two rather than trying to shoehorn Shelvey into a 3. He's good on the ball but off it Shelvey is a liability we aren't good enough to afford.

Well done to Bruce for both dropping Shelvey and admitting he got the formation wrong early doors. It takes a brave man to go back on his plans after two games but he's got this right and earned himself some more time.
I know Shelvey is baring the full brunt of the blame, but I think it's also worth noting a lot of players who were lucky enough to stay in the line-up played significantly better than they did in weeks 1-2. I do completely agree that Bruce got the midfield roles wrong when Shelvey played, and it did no favours to any of them, but I'm still glad Shelvey is on the team, he just should never play as the deepest lying CM. I'd add, it wasn't even CM they did us in against Norwich, I'd say the worst culprit was the diabolical play of the CBs (who to their credit were fantastic Sunday).

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

It's the whole shape of the side though, if Hayden and Longstaff are there chasing men down, as well as Almiron and Atsu, the defense don't get pulled out of shape and can make the easy blocks and clearances they did all Sunday. That doesn't happen with Shelvey in the midfield.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Need to get shot of Shelvey. Weak as piss, heart of a pea. Always going for the Hollywood pass. With creative players like Almiron, Ritchie even Longstaff we dont need him. Luxury player we can't afford and if we were a top 6 8 side and we could afford to carry him he just isn't good enough.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm
It's the whole shape of the side though, if Hayden and Longstaff are there chasing men down, as well as Almiron and Atsu, the defense don't get pulled out of shape and can make the easy blocks and clearances they did all Sunday. That doesn't happen with Shelvey in the midfield.
Not wanting to scapegoat but Shelvey really doesn’t work hard enough for the team. If he delivered goals and assists regularly then you could forgive him for it, but he doesn’t exactly chalk up loads of them either. Can’t remember which game it was but I remember MOTD last season (I think) absolutely hammering him for literally just standing and watching as someone ran past him then the opposition scored.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Oh believe me I know, I dread to think what a search of these forums of what I've said about Shelvey dredges up...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Good grief, he's fine as a back-up. I've thought him to have covered some of the most ground through two weeks. I don't think he's good enough for the role he was put in, and it clearly put other players out of position, but I didn't find his effort to be the problem in those matches at least.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:56 pm
Colly wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm
Not wanting to scapegoat but Shelvey really doesn’t work hard enough for the team. If he delivered goals and assists regularly then you could forgive him for it, but he doesn’t exactly chalk up loads of them either. Can’t remember which game it was but I remember MOTD last season (I think) absolutely hammering him for literally just standing and watching as someone ran past him then the opposition scored.
Think it was Watford? I'm sure he was a sun as well so tiredness couldn't be an excuse.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 am

Shelvey's still got a better range of passing than anyone else in the team & there will be games where there will be room for him (you know, against the new teams like Norwich).

The one that concerns me is Joelinton. Watched MOTD2 & Shearer raving about Joelinton's first touch for the goal. I thought he'd over knocked it, not on purpose but I could be wrong. Don't think he's got a great 1st touch.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:43 am

Alfie wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:39 am
Shelvey's still got a better range of passing than anyone else in the team & there will be games where there will be room for him (you know, against the new teams like Norwich).

The one that concerns me is Joelinton. Watched MOTD2 & Shearer raving about Joelinton's first touch for the goal. I thought he'd over knocked it, not on purpose but I could be wrong. Don't think he's got a great 1st touch.
:(

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am

Or we could give a LB 20 minutes in CM see what happens.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:26 pm
Good grief, he's fine as a back-up. I've thought him to have covered some of the most ground through two weeks. I don't think he's good enough for the role he was put in, and it clearly put other players out of position, but I didn't find his effort to be the problem in those matches at least.
I concur. Whilst Shelvey isn't perfect or delivering right now, it's good to have options and depth. There's an argument that his style of football doesn't suit modern era football, but if you sold him you'd not be able to bring in someone with a similar skillset for the same kind of price. You'd only replace him if you could bring in a different kind of offensive midfielder, who can deliver at a similar price.

Psychologically, I do agree he is not resilient. He should see a sports psychologist, potentially, and get away from his 'siege mentality' i.e. being very thin skinned as he has shown in the past to public criticism and being allowed to be wound up by opponents.

The game against Leicester was a good opportunity to play Shelvey as a floating CM, like Cabaye played as. Instead Bruce opted for Ritchie at no.10 which was a waste as we always knew that's no long term solution to anything.