Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Mackems

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:56 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:23 pm
ALF wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 am
I've watched the first 5 episodes of the second season. Half of it is like watching an episode of The Office. Luke O'Nien comes across as a really sound lad, Maja came across as someone who was uncomfortable in front of cameras and just wanted to play football.
Maja also came across as someone who knew exactly what was going on and was uncomfortable lying about it.
This is what I got from it. Seemed like a nice enough guy but I don’t buy for a second that he was so focused on his football that he didn’t even know there were rumours about him leaving or that he genuinely thought his contract was gonna get done as he kept indicating. For me he was trying to keep everyone happy which was never gonna happen since that would have required staying when there were (probably many) incredible offers coming through for him

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:30 am

I felt for Stewart Donald in the end. Failed to follow his own advice; got so emotionally invested in the team and made some bad business decisions. The Maja situation* was harsh, and Donald got carried away trying rectify it by paying way over the odds for Will Grigg.

I liked that Methven guy at first but from then on you could see it just became an ego trip for him. That marketing meeting left a very sour taste.

Also, was that Ellis Short sat behind them at Checkatrade final? <scratch>

*I checked that 57,000€ salary at Bordeaux. Seems a bit steep for a Ligue 1 club and looks closer to 10,000€ which they perhaps could have stretched to?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:30 pm

jpg wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:30 am
I felt for Stewart Donald in the end. Failed to follow his own advice; got so emotionally invested in the team and made some bad business decisions. The Maja situation* was harsh, and Donald got carried away trying rectify it by paying way over the odds for Will Grigg.

I liked that Methven guy at first but from then on you could see it just became an ego trip for him. That marketing meeting left a very sour taste.

*I checked that 57,000€ salary at Bordeaux. Seems a bit steep for a Ligue 1 club and looks closer to 10,000€ which they perhaps could have stretched to?
Grigg was a huge mistake. Ross and the football director dude were very clear.

I wonder why they didn't have backups. Surely at that level you could get an ok ish striker for £1m

Wigan played a blinder, would love footage of their chairman that day
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:48 pm

I wonder to what extent the cameras influenced the Grigg decision <scratch>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:48 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:30 pm
jpg wrote:

Grigg was a huge mistake. Ross and the football director dude were very clear.

I wonder why they didn't have backups. Surely at that level you could get an ok ish striker for £1m

Wigan played a blinder, would love footage of their chairman that day
Donald’s behaviour was typical of how your average fan would have done business. There probably were better value alternatives, but he wanted Grigg no matter the cost.

He’s the polar opposite of Mike Ashley on every level.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 pm

Also I hate the theme song. Sappy, weak ass sentimental s****

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
I'll go in different directions.
- Martin Bain is doing an impossible job under pretty terrible conditions. I'm shocked he held it together during interviews throughout filming that show. Not saying he was ever going to be good at the job, but I would have expected him to be more of a prick given how it all went down.
- Jack Rodwell: s**** footballer, but I don't blame players for not giving up their own contracts. Sunderland were idiots for giving him the contract in the first place, but why should players walk away from their contracts if the team decides the don't want to play them. It's not as if a club is going to go on paying you out of the goodness of their hearts when your contract ends and nobody wants you - so why owe it in return. This only applies though if the player wants to play, if they're holding out - eff 'em.
- Grabban was on loan and didn't owe them anything. Clubs and supporters want undying loyalty from players, but don't give it in return. Had he been a permanent Sunderland player I'd have said he owed them to finish out the season, but a player in his circumstances needs to look out for his own short career and at least he played well while there.
- Agree regarding both managers. Can't expect managers to overachieve when they only have a couple months to work with deflated players who were never assembled with a system in mind. It's unreasonable how fast managers are expected to get the most out of a side but given no time or influence to do it.

As for Ellis, clearly a disaster for the last couple years. But by the same token, I understand why he stopped pumping money into the club. He trusted inept people to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on players, took a loss on almost all of them, and in the end lost his shirt on the club. He should have gotten out a lot sooner so they weren't in the s*** like they were, but I get why he put his pocket book away by the end.
I agree with the points made alright. Bain was only doing his best and definitely kept his cool at times compared to director lad in 2nd season.

As I pointed out earlier I've been told by someone who works for Sunderland that it was all an act from Bain in real life off camera he was a difficult person to work with.

In terms of Rodwell of course it wasn't his fault Sunderland agreed to pay him those wages but he continued to say all I want to do is play I don't care about the money yet he stayed to not play earning a massive wage. (now I'd imagine his agent had called a few clubs to gauge interest while he thought it over and no one came back).

Grabban of course he owed them nothing but he'd agreed to a season loan, as another poster said he could see what was going to happen and got out.

As for Ellis of course he probably thought that alright.

One point I'll say about Donald in season 2 about halfway through the season you could see his face thinking what have I done buying this club.
I'll Hazard a guess

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm
One point I'll say about Donald in season 2 about halfway through the season you could see his face thinking what have I done buying this club.
Definitely this. At first, it's almost like he was thinking "surely it cannot be that bad" but then realised it's far worse than you could possibly imagine. Well run clubs don't go from PL to L1 in a couple of seasons. If Ashley ever sells, I dread to think what kind of mess the new owners would inherit <erk>.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:22 pm
Definitely this. At first, it's almost like he was thinking "surely it cannot be that bad" but then realised it's far worse than you could possibly imagine. Well run clubs don't go from PL to L1 in a couple of seasons. If Ashley ever sells, I dread to think what kind of mess the new owners would inherit <erk>.
I think it was when he was having an argument with his Missus about it. You just see in his face "She's right but I have to stand by my decision " <laugh>

I agree with the Ashley thing alright, hopefully the Saudis come in and are like that's all which is wrong sure here be €100m that should fix it
I'll Hazard a guess

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:52 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:27 am

I think it was when he was having an argument with his Missus about it. You just see in his face "She's right but I have to stand by my decision " <laugh>

I agree with the Ashley thing alright, hopefully the Saudis come in and are like that's all which is wrong sure here be €100m that should fix it
I suspect one of the first comments from any new owner would be "He's been running this football club like a discount sporting goods store."

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:50 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:52 am
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 pm

I suspect one of the first comments from any new owner would be "He's been running this football club like a discount sporting goods store."
Ha! Yeah, I think they'll find from a revenue standpoint they've really failed the club, but I think we can all tell spending hasn't been out of control for a long time, so I'm actually feeling pretty confident new owners won't find giant secret debts. They'll likely find a severe lack of professional processes in place like a well run big club though - but hopefully they'll hire smart people who know how to put those things in place.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:53 pm

jpg wrote:

I'm sure Maja was gone even if they'd matched or slightly exceeded the salary offer, between extra bonuses he and his agent likely got, plus the opportunity to get out of League 1 and to a decent continental club like Bordeaux.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:50 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:52 am

Ha! Yeah, I think they'll find from a revenue standpoint they've really failed the club, but I think we can all tell spending hasn't been out of control for a long time, so I'm actually feeling pretty confident new owners won't find giant secret debts. They'll likely find a severe lack of professional processes in place like a well run big club though - but hopefully they'll hire smart people who know how to put those things in place.
They'll find water tight contracts forcing revenue through Ashley's other assets.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:32 pm

PTAO? wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:59 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:50 pm

They'll find water tight contracts forcing revenue through Ashley's other assets.
When this is all done, half those assets might not even exist. :bandit:
As much as I have severe reservations about Saudi investment, what I will say about them and everyone else rumoured to be part of the new group, they're not small-time business people likely to get swindled or get in over their heads, so good luck if Ashley thinks he's going to take advantage of them in negotiations.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am

Even the germans like to rip Sunderland <laugh>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 am

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Beatski wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 am
Doing a masters in finance at Durham. Would expect nothing less from someone so switched on.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Beatski wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 am
Doing a masters in finance at Durham. Would expect nothing less from someone so switched on.
oh god don't get the mackems started on "Durham is safc territory, mags from there are all glory supporters" nonsense. Had enough of that @uni there.
In reality each little mining village is different. And say Stanley/Sacriston way (where my grandad was from) it was easier in the old days to get to St James than Roker Park.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:40 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 pm

oh god don't get the mackems started on "Durham is safc territory, mags from there are all glory supporters" nonsense. Had enough of that @uni there.
In reality each little mining village is different. And say Stanley/Sacriston way (where my grandad was from) it was easier in the old days to get to St James than Roker Park.
Sunderland fans have a weird concept of who people should support from various parts of the region. Any Newcastle fan who doesn't live within 5 seconds walk of SJP is a plastic 1992er, yet they think everyone from Gateshead down to Middlesbrough should support Sunderland.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 20, 2020 4:49 pm

First step would be for them to stop worrying about who should support who. Feels smalltime to be so petty and territorial like that (and I know every club have fans guilty of it).