Match thread - TOON v Chelsea

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Re: Match thread - TOON v Chelsea

Post by UlversToon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am

Yes, I agree we need more positivity on here.

Let's face it Bruces' free flowing, attacking style of football has us on the brink of European qualification and any lingering thoughts of relegation were banished weeks ago and, even as I type this, we're on an FA Cup run the likes of which haven't been seen for years. In each of the last two transfer windows we've broken, if not smashed, our previous record transfer fee paid for a player and there's plenty of time left in the current window for that record to be broken again.

This is why I love this club!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm

I see it as quite similar to the season under Pardew where we got to Europe, we were great that year but benefited from the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool having stinkers. This time round it's Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd, and while I can't see us competing with them all season there's a reasonable chance that one of the teams around us could finish above them this year.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm
I see it as quite similar to the season under Pardew where we got to Europe, we were great that year but benefited from the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool having stinkers. This time round it's Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd, and while I can't see us competing with them all season there's a reasonable chance that one of the teams around us could finish above them this year.
For sure. I guess my original point is that almost every year a few of those teams have stinkers, and I think that'll continue happening going forward as the rest of the league has more money and ability to spend and makes it harder for the same 4-6 clubs to always separate themselves. So I think it's a bit lame to dismiss any other teams' achievements under the guise that it's because the "league is weak this year" (not saying you're doing that).

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm

<ok>

It's an interesting argument generally, is a league where teams are struggling to put a run of games together and seemingly anyone can beat anyone a weak league or a strong league?

Discuss.

<coat>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:36 pm

For me it seems like overall quality of play etc has gone down for lots of teams in the PL. I agree that anyone beating anyone is good, but doesn’t point to the quality being high necessarily.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:30 pm
<ok>

It's an interesting argument generally, is a league where teams are struggling to put a run of games together and seemingly anyone can beat anyone a weak league or a strong league?

Discuss.

<coat>
Definitely a strong league. Highlighted by the fact the most recent Champions League final was contested between two Premier League teams, as was the Europa League final.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm

A league more competitive top to bottom is more entertaining for fans (IMO), but for the question of a strong league, I think the strongest league will have top clubs that can beat the best of Europe, while also having league depth. Hypoethetically if every league's clubs played against everyone else in Europe, what league would have the best overall record.