Done Deal: Nabil Bentaleb

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Done Deal: Nabil Bentaleb

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:33 pm

Algeria international Nabil Bentaleb has joined Newcastle United on loan from Schalke 04 for the rest of the season, with an option to make the deal permanent.

The 25-year-old midfielder, who represented his country at the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2015 and 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, has previously played in the Premier League for Tottenham Hotspur.
He made 66 appearances for the North London club - scoring his only goal against Newcastle in a League Cup tie in December 2014 - before moving to Schalke, initially on loan, in August 2016.
Bentaleb has made 97 appearances for the Bundesliga side, scoring 19 times, and has played in the Champions League for Die Königsblauen.
He told nufc.co.uk: "I'm very happy to come back to the Premier League, especially with a club such as Newcastle.

"The project really interested me. I wanted absolutely to come back to the Premier League. The coach had some trust in me and the club also - I saw that straight away - and I think it's the perfect move for me."
Newcastle United head coach Steve Bruce said: "He's somebody who I paid particular attention to when he was at Spurs, when he broke through and got a big money move to Germany.

"He's played at the highest level now for the last four or five years but he will come in hungry and feeling he has something to prove and will give us the competition we obviously need.

"With the numbers that we've got at the minute, he's got a bit of experience and I think people will enjoy watching him play. He'll come into the squad and I'm sure he'll be a good acquisition for us.

"The fact that he's played in the Premier League before helps, because we know that he can play and knows what the demands of the Premier League are. He's gone from the Premier League to Schalke and played in the Champions League as well, so we're delighted to get him. It's a great signing

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... b-on-loan/

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Done Deal: Nabil Bentaleb

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Yeah no real complaints, low risk and he'll have a point to prove. 19 goals in 97 games for Schalke is a good return too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Heard good things. Hopefully he can provide a bit of a link between the midfield and our lonely lonely forwards.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm

The extra quality will give the other lads in CM something think about too. He added competition will hopefully bring the best out Shelvey and S. Longstaff.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Yep good signing, shall give us some extra bite in the middle and has a nice pass on him too.

I've heard that Ki is on his way so he'll replace him as an option there.
I'll Hazard a guess

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm backing him to start off well but get crocked and back in Germany within a month.

<gent>

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Don't understand this. We've already got Shelvey, Hayden, Ki & 2 x Longstaffs as CM. Unless we're making a conscious effort to stop Matty & Sean develop?!
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Alfie wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:12 pm
Don't understand this. We've already got Shelvey, Hayden, Ki & 2 x Longstaffs as CM. Unless we're making a conscious effort to stop Matty & Sean develop?!
Asked and answered
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:55 pm
Yep good signing, shall give us some extra bite in the middle and has a nice pass on him too.

I've heard that Ki is on his way so he'll replace him as an option there.
I think it seems likely Ki is going. He's been listed as unavailable with no return date and no reason for it for the majority of the season. He's clearly not got a future here. Bentaleb is an upgrade. I doubt even our regime would consciously halt the development of a promising young asse- player.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:33 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:06 pm
I'm backing him to start off well but get crocked and back in Germany within a month.

<gent>
Bookmark that.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Alfie wrote:
None of them have played well enough this season to feel safe in a starting position as far as I'm concerned. Obviously Matty has had some great promising moments, but Sean and Hayden both had stupid sendings off, CM is consistently overrun and on the back foot (partly down to Bruce of course too), Shelvey has been nursing a groin injury lately, and I think getting someone with some pedigree and international experience can only help.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Done Deal: Nabil Bentalebo

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 pm
Alfie wrote:
None of them have played well enough this season to feel safe in a starting position as far as I'm concerned. Obviously Matty has had some great promising moments, but Sean and Hayden both had stupid sendings off, CM is consistently overrun and on the back foot (partly down to Bruce of course too), Shelvey has been nursing a groin injury lately, and I think getting someone with some pedigree and international experience can only help.
Spot on. Ask who the best two are out of those lot and you’ll probably get a different answer each time. I don’t know anything about this new guy but if he’s any good then hopefully there’ll be a bit of agreement that it’s him + one of the others

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I'd love it if this was a step away from 5-4-1.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:05 pm

A very good signing.

Ki out Bentaleb in is a definite upgrade to the team.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm

Alfie wrote:
Different type of players.

But where the Schalke midfielder shines the most is with his attacking play. A box to box midfielder who is technically gifted, Bentaleb thrives in the final third. Again, on his day. The silky dribbling, vision for an intricate pass and a cannon of a left foot. He’s got the full package going forward. In 2017/18, 4 goals and 3 assists in 16 games highlights the influence he can have on a game. Particularly with his shooting, the 25 year old hits the ball so sweetly.

https://tasteoffootball.com/2020/01/21/ ... idfielder/

Good summary of what he will bring to the midfield. Experienced, played in the Champions League, mobile, athletic, 6ft 2, a eye for a goal, can assist, can defend and if all goes well would be a bargain at 8.5 mil price as his still only 25 so has his peak years ahead of him. Ki is as good as gone and in summer you never know if United come in with a good offer say 30mil+ plus for one of the Longstaffs are you gonna say no to that or if West Ham come up with a 15-20mil offer for Shelvey? <scratch>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm
Alfie wrote:
Good summary of what he will bring to the midfield. Experienced, played in the Champions League, mobile, athletic, 6ft 2, a eye for a goal, can assist, can defend and if all goes well would be a bargain at 8.5 mil price as his still only 25 so has his peak years ahead of him. Ki is as good as gone and in summer you never know if United come in with a good offer say 30mil+ plus for one of the Longstaffs are you gonna say no to that or if West Ham come up with a 15-20mil offer for Shelvey? <scratch>
Has anyone seen my car keys?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm

£30m for longstaff ??? Hahaha good one
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Toondes wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm
£30m for longstaff ??? Hahaha good one
That’s their 50% down payment presumably...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 pm

I hope Sean kicks on and shows the promise he hinted at last season, but he really hasn't progressed yet this year, and imagine whichever English clubs were sniffing around have for now moved onto other newly hyped prospects.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Apparently he is to make his debut against Oxford this weekend, will probably get Injured

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:12 pm

krully wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:09 pm
Apparently he is to make his debut against Oxford this weekend, will probably get Injured
Debut goal followed by ACL injury <roll>