Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am
Sir Bobby wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:24 am

If you don’t avoid all Saudi-backed assets why are you making such a strong point to avoid the one asset they own that you essentially can’t replacement like their other assets - you can replace your travel from Uber, you can’t replace your football team.
I can replace my football team with not going, it's not an essential as all those who've boycotted Ashley can tell you. It would be horrible, but not impossible.

You've made an interesting point though, it's not a black and white argument, but in my head there's a difference between me using software I don't have much choice in and openly paying and attending somewhere to appear to condone it. I also think it makes a mockery of all the FAs campaigns on things like Rainbow Laces etc. Private companies are private companies and there's nothing I can do about the buyout, but the governing body should think about something other than money.
I've never used uber and now that I know they own it I never will. Don't even know what slack is.

But point taken I will try and find out what assets they own and do everything I can to exclude all of them.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm

I'd also take all the stories of human rights violations with a pinch of salt. What the western world reports and what actually happens is entirely different. In truth the western world doesn't like that the wealth of the world is in the middle east so they spin things up like this to make us distrust them. When in truth the western world is just or even worst then they are at exploiting their workers
I'll Hazard a guess

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
I'd also take all the stories of human rights violations with a pinch of salt. What the western world reports and what actually happens is entirely different. In truth the western world doesn't like that the wealth of the world is in the middle east so they spin things up like this to make us distrust them. When in truth the western world is just or even worst then they are at exploiting their workers
If you genuinely believe what you just said then I have a bridge to sell you.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:23 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Jesus.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Really should be a fishing emoji
I'll Hazard a guess

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:15 pm
Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:40 am

I can replace my football team with not going, it's not an essential as all those who've boycotted Ashley can tell you. It would be horrible, but not impossible.

You've made an interesting point though, it's not a black and white argument, but in my head there's a difference between me using software I don't have much choice in and openly paying and attending somewhere to appear to condone it. I also think it makes a mockery of all the FAs campaigns on things like Rainbow Laces etc. Private companies are private companies and there's nothing I can do about the buyout, but the governing body should think about something other than money.
I've never used uber and now that I know they own it I never will. Don't even know what slack is.

But point taken I will try and find out what assets they own and do everything I can to exclude all of them.
Where do you draw the moral line though, boycott Saudi companies/products but buy Chinese produced goods, you could argue the same with Russia and to an extent USA (south american influence/false war over weapons of mass destruction/ Guantanamo bay).
It's virtually impossible to live your life without supporting these types of countries.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm

Honestly as fans of the club we can't dictate what our owners do.
Sure our current owner pays minimal wage on 0 zero contracts to people. He also buys products in bulk from Eastern countries where guess what workers are paid pittance. He then takes these products and sells them for higher value.

Yes I'll be one questioning where the money is coming from but I will I stop supporting the team I love because of it? No
I'll Hazard a guess

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Sure our current owner pays minimal wage on 0 zero contracts to people. He also buys products in bulk from Eastern countries where guess what workers are paid pittance. He then takes these products and sells them for higher value.

Yes I'll be one questioning where the money is coming from but I will I stop supporting the team I love because of it? No
Does Mike also order the executions of journalists that dare to criticise him?
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm

I've not heard from Simon Bird for a while.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:50 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

If he could , I’m sure he would.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:54 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

He did ban the Chronicle for a while.

I will also state that it was never fully proven that Bin Salman himself had ordered the killing. (Not defending or absconding him from responsibility btw)
I'll Hazard a guess

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:35 pm
I've not heard from Simon Bird for a while.
<laugh>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:48 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
To be honest this is a fair comment, we always see things from our point of view and our culture, completely ignoring the fact life in the middle east is vastly different both historically and in present times. America are still executing people and we were still doing it back in the 60's, so to be outraged is a tad hypocritical considering the vast differences in culture between us, yet we were doing similar not too long ago.

Also the points about uber etc, there is so many things in our lives that you can link back to human rights abuses, it's ridiculous to jump on your high horse when you have probably used something or bought something that has exploited vulnerable people along the line, unless you investigate the source of every cup of coffee, every item of clothing, every drop of petroleum/oil, computer component, mechanical components, hell even things like plastics and metals, then you are probably financially supporting some horrific stuff already. And this isnt even dipping into our trade and imports from China.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:04 pm

The Athletic is reporting that Chris Mort is involved in this takeover bid on behalf of Staveley.

It certainly gives this takeover more credence for me than the other annual takeover shenanigans.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Ashley is trolling us

(Obvs don't really trust Russia Today but <laugh> )
I had the first custom w***

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:48 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
To be honest this is a fair comment, we always see things from our point of view and our culture, completely ignoring the fact life in the middle east is vastly different both historically and in present times. America are still executing people and we were still doing it back in the 60's, so to be outraged is a tad hypocritical considering the vast differences in culture between us, yet we were doing similar not too long ago.

Also the points about uber etc, there is so many things in our lives that you can link back to human rights abuses, it's ridiculous to jump on your high horse when you have probably used something or bought something that has exploited vulnerable people along the line, unless you investigate the source of every cup of coffee, every item of clothing, every drop of petroleum/oil, computer component, mechanical components, hell even things like plastics and metals, then you are probably financially supporting some horrific stuff already. And this isnt even dipping into our trade and imports from China.
Hit the nail on the head here and very well put.

A lot of people jumping on their moral high horse (not so much on here more so on twitter) are very selective in their outrage.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:19 pm

Speedo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Ashley is trolling us

(Obvs don't really trust Russia Today but <laugh> )
SportsDirect to be granted rights to sell NUFC replica kits?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm

TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:48 pm

A lot of people jumping on their moral high horse (not so much on here more so on twitter) are very selective in their outrage.
Do you not think there's a difference though between not investigating something in the supply chain of some fairly essential products and directly dropping £50 a month into the coffers of a horrific regime whilst also appearing on a public stage every other week to show my support? Hell, at least I can hide in a cupboard and drink my dodgy coffee.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:28 pm

Also, look to the WWE and their partnership with Saudi Arabia to see what their involvement in sports looks like. It's a very intentional and obvious propaganda ploy, that is anything but subtle when they force commentators to talk up their progressive changes, continued to ban women from wrestling (for their first several shows there), grounded planes with their talent/staff until financial squabbles were resolved, etc.

They're literally spending billions of dollars on sports to try and distract from murders, oil policy, weapons deals, borderline war crimes, and they make no secret of it. They're among a handful of the most dangerous and powerful governments on Earth, and don't use phrases like "a pinch of salt" as if I'm blinded by the media, my father in law was stationed in the foreign service there for years, and my childhood nextdoor neighbour was a pilot for Saudi Air - so I've heard plenty of first-hand information. And yes, they're one of many governments that have that kind of blood on their hands, but I wouldn't want the club to be owned by any national power, including the White House.

Just because they'll buy a club one way or the other, doesn't mean I could pretend football is just football, when it's being funded for these purposes. And I will always feel a bit guilty if we actually won things and it turned to talking up what heroes ownership were, as if you can legitimately separate football and state when one is being used to promote the other.

Having said all that, I am only speaking for myself, theorizing how I think I will feel, and I don't mean to suggest everyone should feel the same. I also recognize that many fans here have a lifetime of fandom, and it can't be turned off - nor do I expect that. Even with my relatively brief love affair with NUFC, I couldn't imagine changing allegiances.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm
TJR wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Do you not think there's a difference though between not investigating something in the supply chain of some fairly essential products and directly dropping £50 a month into the coffers of a horrific regime whilst also appearing on a public stage every other week to show my support? Hell, at least I can hide in a cupboard and drink my dodgy coffee.
You wouldn't be directly dropping £50 a month in the into the coffers of a horrific regime whilst also appearing on a public stage every other week to show support.

You'd be putting £50 a week into a football club which will belong to the club and will be spent by the club on the running of the club. You won't be showing support for the Saudi regime either, you'll be showing support for your football team.

I went to the FA Cup match at the weekend. My £10 didn't go to Mike Ashley or Sports Direct, it went to the club. I didn't public show support for Sports Direct questionable practices with regards to workers right, I showed public support to Newcastle United.