Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:47 pm

But lot's of people have boycotted the club based on Ashley's ownership, it's how I've got to Everton, Oxford, Wigan, Barnsley, Villa etc in recent years and will now drop all morals because we will be doing well under a new regime despite them doing worse things than Ashley ever can.
Yeah people didn't boycott because of how he's running SD, they did so because of how he runs the football club.
Everyone is up in arms, especially our fanbase whenever there is controversy with how he runs his companies in the news.

Just doesn't sit well with me.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Only reason I will go is to see family. I'll still celebrate results, I don't care about the amount of money ploughed in, it's where it's come from

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm
Only reason I will go is to see family. I'll still celebrate results, I don't care about the amount of money ploughed in, it's where it's come from
We’ll be sorry to lose you mate. I do hear your concerns and conflict, and respect your principled stance.
I had the first custom w***

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Yeah people didn't boycott because of how he's running SD, they did so because of how he runs the football club.
Everyone is up in arms, especially our fanbase whenever there is controversy with how he runs his companies in the news.

Fact is people were only bothered because of how he runs the club, the SD stuff was a convenient stack of ammo to fire at him and pressure him out of the club, it was something relatable to them because he treats the 2 entities with equal contempt, any one of them that claims to just do it out the goodness of their heart is probably lying.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:41 am

I'm still convinced this isn't happening.

ToonAussie
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by ToonAussie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 am

If Ashley has to go into the Saudi Embassy to sign the deal that would be the icing on the cake.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:30 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Fact is people were only bothered because of how he runs the club, the SD stuff was a convenient stack of ammo to fire at him and pressure him out of the club, it was something relatable to them because he treats the 2 entities with equal contempt, any one of them that claims to just do it out the goodness of their heart is probably lying.
This seems a pretty massive generalisation, and there are similar ones on Twitter suggesting it's only non Newcastle fans complaining about the whole takeover. I don't think you can say that no one was protesting about the treatment of SD employees or the Wonga sponsorship other than as another stick for Ashley, some people genuinely care.

Personally I'm really interested in the views of fan groups like United with Pride, fairly sure they won't be able to just ignore the ownership and it's connotations.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:30 am
Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 pm

This seems a pretty massive generalisation, and there are similar ones on Twitter suggesting it's only non Newcastle fans complaining about the whole takeover. I don't think you can say that no one was protesting about the treatment of SD employees or the Wonga sponsorship other than as another stick for Ashley, some people genuinely care.

Personally I'm really interested in the views of fan groups like United with Pride, fairly sure they won't be able to just ignore the ownership and it's connotations.
I wouldn't call it a generalisation, I don't see any Nufc social justice groups organising protests against anyone else over their business practices. Yeah some might care from their armchair, but I highly doubt many would have protested him if he plowed millions into developing the club.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm

I'm definitely not complaint about the non-event take over.

It would be nice if it happened, but there is still time for Ashely to f*** us, and I'm sure this is all just him bringing us along for another hilarious ride.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Hjl wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm

It would be nice if it happened, but there is still time for Ashely to **** us, and I'm sure this is all just him bringing us along for another hilarious ride.
If Ashley fucks the deal up then I will encourage him on the whole way and thank him afterwards. I don't care what the circumstances are that end this takeover I will cheer it from the rooftops.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Hjl wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm

It would be nice if it happened, but there is still time for Ashely to **** us, and I'm sure this is all just him bringing us along for another hilarious ride.
If Ashley f***s the deal up then I will encourage him on the whole way and thank him afterwards. I don't care what the circumstances are that end this takeover I will cheer it from the rooftops.
It's almost horrible to accept but I agree entirely.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Maybe we should have a topic for this in the debate section, I can see this becoming another back and forth moral argument.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:40 pm

What, just to leave this topic as only positives? Bit North Korea...

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:49 pm

No, because like last time it's going to be the same debate going in a circle, if people feel so passionately about it debate it in a section we have that's dedicated to it.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:49 pm
No, because like last time it's going to be the same debate going in a circle, if people feel so passionately about it debate it in a section we have that's dedicated to it.
So a thread entitled "Toon Takeover Thread" isn't the place to discuss whether you approve of the takeover or not?

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Couldn’t really put it better myself.

From a purely footballing perspective, if not us it’d be someone else. We’ve all sat through some utter dross over the last 13 years and beyond that if you’re old enough, might as well try to enjoy any good times that could be coming.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:01 pm

On the 'football' side of things, they are apparently likely to get Benitez in as manager. Can't wait <erm>

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:01 pm
On the 'football' side of things, they are apparently likely to get Benitez in as manager. Can't wait <erm>
I’m pleased to see some things never change around here

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:24 pm

TBC wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:50 pm

Couldn’t really put it better myself.

From a purely footballing perspective, if not us it’d be someone else. We’ve all sat through some utter dross over the last 13 years and beyond that if you’re old enough, might as well try to enjoy any good times that could be coming.
I have no idea who Musgrove is or whether or not he supports nufc. Would be interested to know if he was so sanguine about it if it was a club he didn't like that was the subject of the bid. Would he raise moral issues then or is he just another willing to sell out moral principles for expected personal benefit?

As for me I have opposed the Government's stance towards SA for as long as I can remember. It also subjugates moral concerns for the gain of arms sales and oil imports, neither of which give them any grounds to be held up as a barometer of moral judgement on the subject.

And no i'm not going to be able to sit back and enjoy the ride. When any success gained would be paid for with money pillaged from a country by a regime that commits human rights violations on an industrial scale and on a daily basis. Any victories would be totally soured by that knowledge, rendering any effort to enjoy supporting the club pointless. But if fans can enjoy seeing their club become a propaganda tool for despots then good luck to you. I'm sure the Saudi women who are currently locked up and being tortured for the crime of protesting against not being allowed to drive will fully understand that argument and point of view. After all the possibility of success in sport is so much more important than their human rights.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 pm

excellent points all round, but they're moot points at the end of the day since takeovers dont happen in the toon