Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Maybe if people would stop being so hyperbolic and actually listen then they could maybe grasp it, nobody is "bending over backwards" for the Saudis, people are merely using their right to defend themselves from attacks from people with different views, yes a minority are using stupid twitter pictures and images, but it's a bit sweeping to apply that to anyone who doesn't subscribe to your line of though.

Also it's an absolute cop out to say "I need petrol to live", I dont drive or use uber and I can live perfectly fine, petrol is not a necessity it's a luxury.

You have your right to an opinion but you have zero right to enforce your standards and opinions onto other people. If you dont agree with it then fine, but get the f*** off everyone else's backs just because they don't agree with you.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:12 pm
If you are happy to use uber, petrols, oils and anything linked to saudi arabia then let people be happy supporting and following their SA backed football team.

If people want to attack anyone attack SA directly, not the fans of a football club.
I think Uber is a very bad analogy.
There's a HUGE difference between the Saudi PIF owning <15% of a public listed company like Uber, because public companies can't control who buys their shares. You know who else owns lots of Uber, the Norwegian investment fund, the Singaporean one etc etc.
The PIF owning the majority of a private company if different, they are not just an investor amongst thousands but actively in control. So buying from NUFC is an order of magnitude more directly linked to PIF than taking an Uber.

Of course we as fans can't control who owns the club, 10 years of protests prove that. But we shouldn't celebrate the PIF either.

And there's no way to know where the oil in a pump comes from, its not like there are petrol stations advertising 'American petrol'.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:44 pm
Maybe if people would stop being so hyperbolic and actually listen then they could maybe grasp it, nobody is "bending over backwards" for the Saudis, people are merely using their right to defend themselves from attacks from people with different views, yes a minority are using stupid twitter pictures and images, but it's a bit sweeping to apply that to anyone who doesn't subscribe to your line of though.

Also it's an absolute cop out to say "I need petrol to live", I dont drive or use uber and I can live perfectly fine, petrol is not a necessity it's a luxury.

You have your right to an opinion but you have zero right to enforce your standards and opinions onto other people. If you dont agree with it then fine, but get the **** off everyone else's backs just because they don't agree with you.
Are you kidding? For years fans have been labelling Ashley as unfit to own the club just because there are Sports Direct signs up in the stadium that he hasn't paid any money to the club for. Meanwhile fans are frothing at the dick at the prospect of blood money to spend on transfers, already wanking off at the lists of players they want signed. There is no comparison between the attitudes towards a merely bad owner and a regime that could justifiably be renamed Human Rights Violations Incorporated. One is massively intolerant and the other tantamount to fawning.

And petrol is not a luxury it is a strategic necessity, unless all the food you consume or other goods you buy are transported to the UK and/or your home by sail powered ship and horse and cart. You cannot opt out of oil consumption just by personally deciding not to drive motorised transport. You also completely ignored the point that Saudi Arabia only provides a very small amount of the UK's oil and it is impossible to identify it at time of purchasing petrol.

And yes we have rights to our own opinions, but just because you don't like the counter arguments doesn't mean they shouldn't be given. If you are going to put up arguments for the take over that I think are **** then you can hardly complain if you get responses. And do you think for one moment that I don't feel annoyance at every pro-takeover comment I have to hear or read? It cuts both ways.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:18 am
Some of our fans on Twitter man, jesus christ. "If you don't like the new regime you can't buy oil or use uber." " xyz club has bad owners so why can't we" "they don't want a north eastern club do be successful". Embarassing and so wide of the mark.
The vast majority is mainly highlighting the hypocrisy rather than seriously suggesting they give it up.

You cannot chastise people for getting enjoyment and benefiting from an activity they have done their whole lives just because SA is taking over. So people are merely pointing out all the other things SA linked that the critics use. The main point being stop sitting on your high horse finger pointing at fans whilst then turning around and justifying your own support of SA backed things whilst telling everyone why it's ridiculous to link their morals to the uses of uber etc.

If you are happy to use uber, petrols, oils and anything linked to saudi arabia then let people be happy supporting and following their SA backed football team.

If people want to attack anyone attack SA directly, not the fans of a football club.
I didn't attack anyone, I replied to a Gary Lineker tweet just to say I'd like it to go away. I got 8 or 9 Newcastle "fans" telling me not to go anymore, that they'd have my ticket (thus confirming not matchgoers), all of which getting 50 odd likes. They weren't pointing out hypocracy, they just didn't give a f***. Twitter football fandom is horrible.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:

You have your right to an opinion but you have zero right to enforce your standards and opinions onto other people. If you dont agree with it then fine, but get the f*** off everyone else's backs just because they don't agree with you.
It's not hyperbolic to be uncomfortable with us being taken over by Saudi Arabias number 2. Its is mental how much hate and vitriol there is floating about for people who actually say something. Been called a bitter Mackem, traitor, Ashley lover etc etc. I honestly think there are people who would happily get taken over by Mussolini's ghost and still be spouting the s**** you are.

I'm not enforcing my opinion anymore than you are, it's a football forum, I'm saying what I think and what I've seen. The fact you just want to be left alone to get on with it and are trying to enforce impossible standards suggests that you are uncomfortable about something. If you think people are on your back here please look at what our fans are doing on twitter, it's certainly not a small minority.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm not going round and round in circles with any of you, I'll continue to support my football club, say whatever you like, criticise whomever you like because its going to fall on deaf ears with me now. I dont need to justify to anyone my enjoyment of my club. If that upsets you so much then it's your problem. 👍

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 pm

I'm literally not criticising anyone. <roll>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm
I'm not going round and round in circles with any of you, I'll continue to support my football club, say whatever you like, criticise whomever you like because its going to fall on deaf ears with me now. I dont need to justify to anyone my enjoyment of my club. If that upsets you so much then it's your problem. 👍
I'm not criticising you for supporting nufc, as I will continue to do so also.

I just also think that PIF having 80% of nufc is quite different to there diversified minority holdings is the stock market.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:50 pm

I am and I make no apologies for it.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm

A Saudi Arabian government owned news channel has emailed asking if anyone wants to be interviewed about Ashley selling the club to Saudis...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm
A Saudi Arabian government owned news channel has emailed asking if anyone wants to be interviewed about Ashley selling the club to Saudis...
Where they will only publish comments that fit in with their propaganda aims. Opinions like mine would never see the light of day, so it would just be a PR exercise for the takeover. No thanks.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm
<ohnoes>

TF l has hit the big time.

(Reddit haven't been contacted like)

Uncle Paul
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Uncle Paul » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:33 pm

I’ll be supporting the club. I’ve wanted success and an owner who will actually place money into us and take us forward, and this is definitely looking like that time and then some.

Bring us a stadium that has been renovated, maybes expanded if possible, pump money into our training facilities and the youth academy, bring us some of footballs best players and by God bring us a trophy. I want Champions League football at SJP again, I want our club to progress and become a force in world football. It might not happen straight away and I don’t expect it, but that hope will come back and we will all flock to the ground to be a part of it.

Bring it on! Howay The Lads!

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:54 pm

My tuppenceworth.
Until this kicked off, I knew very little about what goes on in Saudi Arabia. I’ve had a look since and totally condemn what goes on there. Maybe, probably, there’s other things happen in the world which I’m equally ignorant of. I’m interested in the things that are of the most interest to me and selfishly take little notice of things that I have no influence on whatsoever.
What happens over there and football in my eyes, should be kept separate. Possibly the Saudis want to come here to “improve their image”.
For actual fans that attend games, the vast majority have an unbreakable bond with their club.
Again, I condemn what happens there, anyone would.
Will it stop me supporting my team? Not a cat in hells chance.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm torn between not wanting this to happen due to the obvious reasons, but also interested to see how it would pan out. Either way, the club will still be getting the same amount of money out of me; absolutely nothing other than whatever they get indirectly through commercial avenues <cheers>
Kindly deeds done for free!

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

You have your right to an opinion but you have zero right to enforce your standards and opinions onto other people. If you dont agree with it then fine, but get the **** off everyone else's backs just because they don't agree with you.
Are you kidding? For years fans have been labelling Ashley as unfit to own the club just because there are Sports Direct signs up in the stadium that he hasn't paid any money to the club for. Meanwhile fans are frothing at the dick at the prospect of blood money to spend on transfers, already wanking off at the lists of players they want signed. There is no comparison between the attitudes towards a merely bad owner and a regime that could justifiably be renamed Human Rights Violations Incorporated. One is massively intolerant and the other tantamount to fawning.

And petrol is not a luxury it is a strategic necessity, unless all the food you consume or other goods you buy are transported to the UK and/or your home by sail powered ship and horse and cart. You cannot opt out of oil consumption just by personally deciding not to drive motorised transport. You also completely ignored the point that Saudi Arabia only provides a very small amount of the UK's oil and it is impossible to identify it at time of purchasing petrol.

And yes we have rights to our own opinions, but just because you don't like the counter arguments doesn't mean they shouldn't be given. If you are going to put up arguments for the take over that I think are **** then you can hardly complain if you get responses. And do you think for one moment that I don't feel annoyance at every pro-takeover comment I have to hear or read? It cuts both ways.
Are you going to stay on the forum? <ohnoes>
Kindly deeds done for free!

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:48 pm

I, for one, am enjoying the return of robust debate to Toon Forum.

I think George Caulkin has a good view on this: it's quite possible to be excited about the future for the club, for the city, for the people and for regional pride etc., while also having genuine concerns about human rights. The ethical questions didn't start at PIF buying Newcastle; they started with Abramovich, or in 1992, or before that, depending on your perspective. Football is already morally compromised, and some would say morally bankrupt; no new line has been crossed here.

I'm inclined to agree, although I may be biased as I've done some work in Saudi.
I had the first custom w***

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:49 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Hopefully not :)
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Speedo wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:48 pm
I, for one, am enjoying the return of robust debate to Toon Forum.

I think George Caulkin has a good view on this: it's quite possible to be excited about the future for the club, for the city, for the people and for regional pride etc., while also having genuine concerns about human rights. The ethical questions didn't start at PIF buying Newcastle; they started with Abramovich, or in 1992, or before that, depending on your perspective. Football is already morally compromised, and some would say morally bankrupt; no new line has been crossed here.

I'm inclined to agree, although I may be biased as I've done some work in Saudi.
Totally agree with this.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:52 pm

Toondes wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:49 pm
biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm