Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Colly » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:03 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:43 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32 pm

Spot on <ok>

It’s like the teenage fans we have at away games.
Over the years I have realised that I just generally don't like football fans <laugh>. I don't think Newcastle fans are worse than any other fans, I just hate the "lads lads lads" s**** that goes on.
Same. It sounds ridiculous as a match goer of 30 odd years but a lot of football fans, especially if it's a cheap ticket, are knobheads. I've had some great times at away games but a lot have been sullied by utter pricks like the kids at Darlington, or worse the guys I saw racially abusing someone in York city centre a few seasons back. Add that to still singing the Adam Johnson song, and our vocal minority sicken me.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:11 am

It’s half time at away games I hate. Loads of 16-20 year olds jumping around and throwing their beer around.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:00 am

'Football Twitter' has now become a recognised thing as well. The kids with stupid usernames and pictures of a player that post offensive or even racist tweets just so it 'bangs' and get away with it.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:56 am

ALF wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:00 am
'Football Twitter' has now become a recognised thing as well. The kids with stupid usernames and pictures of a player that post offensive or even racist tweets just so it 'bangs' and get away with it.
For some reason 90% pictures used are of ‘x’ player wearing snood covering their face. Weird.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Cant stand football "banter".

Essentially a bunch of genuine cronuts.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Talk of a 'second bid' on twitter. If there's any truth in it, it's likely a backup from Ashley in case the PIF deal somehow falls through (unlikely), especially since Stavely apparently has exclusivity till mid-May.

I honestly wouldn't be upset if this all fell apart. I've actively avoided SJP for the last few years because of Big Mike, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable about laying aside my morals and ethics just because the new owners have a bulging wallet. Saying that, you're gonna struggle to find any potential owners who aren't of a questionable character. Nevertheless, I feel like one could be optimistic of finding a better alternative to international assassins.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 am

# allegedly 🙂
# stolen from nufc.com :)

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:13 am

Toondes wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:29 am
# allegedly 🙂
Think this is one of the occasions when I'm inclined to hold trust in the investigations of both the UN and CIA.

Even if this is all somehow a global conspiracy to tarnish the Crown Prince's image and that multiple Saudi officials were simply acting by their own accord, let's not forget that this is a country where you can still be publicly beheaded for protest against the state (even if you were a minor at the time of the 'crime' no less).

I'm not sure if the onus of social responsibility should be falling on the shoulders of football here, but we don't have to resort to mental gymnastics to somehow make excuses for the state of Saudi Arabia just because they've turned up on our doorstep with wads of cash.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 am

Let's face it, football seems to exist in its own moral bubble when it comes to the fans. The majority of protests against Mike Ashley haven't been because of his dubious ethical work practices, his use of zero hours contracts or his exploitation of foreign workers - they have been about his lack of investment in NUFC and the team. Whilst the Saudi links are a new level of unethical and immoral, as soon as we start winning games football fans will be quick to forget these atrocities (not all I might add).

I've also found the selective nature of the media coverage to be irritating. It's not like Saudi money and other forms of questionable wealth haven't been flying around the prem for a while now, so for certain journalists and media figures to be taking the moral high ground whilst ignoring the likes of Sheff Utd (who everyone seems to love just because of Wilder) smacks of hypocrisy.

Personally I am torn. We've all been desperate to be rid of Mike Ashley for so long, but it is such a NUFC move to replace such a disgustingly corrupt, unethical regime and somehow find someone even worse to replace them!

It will also provide an influx of d******** turning up to games with towels on their heads and the whole place will become a circus. But hey, the insane transfer rumours are already making me laugh. Vidal, Cavani, Poch anyone? <laugh>
There is no sin except stupidity.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:30 am

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 am
Let's face it, football seems to exist in its own moral bubble when it comes to the fans. The majority of protests against Mike Ashley haven't been because of his dubious ethical work practices, his use of zero hours contracts or his exploitation of foreign workers - they have been about his lack of investment in NUFC and the team. Whilst the Saudi links are a new level of unethical and immoral, as soon as we start winning games football fans will be quick to forget these atrocities (not all I might add).

I've also found the selective nature of the media coverage to be irritating. It's not like Saudi money and other forms of questionable wealth haven't been flying around the prem for a while now, so for certain journalists and media figures to be taking the moral high ground whilst ignoring the likes of Sheff Utd (who everyone seems to love just because of Wilder) smacks of hypocrisy.

Personally I am torn. We've all been desperate to be rid of Mike Ashley for so long, but it is such a NUFC move to replace such a disgustingly corrupt, unethical regime and somehow find someone even worse to replace them!

It will also provide an influx of d******** turning up to games with towels on their heads and the whole place will become a circus. But hey, the insane transfer rumours are already making me laugh. Vidal, Cavani, Poch anyone? <laugh>
This sums it up for perfectly for me

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:46 am

Cracking post. People protest because Mike Ashley has mistreated the football club, anything that has come out about his other projects has just been used as a stick to beat him with as he is already unpopular.

The media coverage has been awful. There's all sorts of dirty money in sport and in society in general and it's rarely been reported.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am

What's really pissing me off Is the non football supporters clambering for a moral high ground with football fans claiming how abhorrent it is they want a take over, the whole time they are going after fans, this just makes them so fake and self serving imo, if you want to be he beacon of change , then attack the source, attack SA and leave fans out of it, but they wont because going after other people and directly questioning the average Joe's morals and trying to stand morally superior over them is the easy way to make themselves think they are better than other people.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am
What's really pissing me off Is the non football supporters clambering for a moral high ground with football fans claiming how abhorrent it is they want a take over, the whole time they are going after fans, this just makes them so fake and self serving imo, if you want to be he beacon of change , then attack the source, attack SA and leave fans out of it, but they wont because going after other people and directly questioning the average Joe's morals and trying to stand morally superior over them is the easy way to make themselves think they are better than other people.
Pointing out Saudi shithousery doesn't mean that people pointing it out are standing over the top of you feeling morally superior.

No one is going after fans, like yourself who just want to see us do well and support the team. I've got no problem with going after twats with Saudi flags in their names making silly jokes and wearing towels on their heads.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Good post. Only issue I have with it is your point on the media. People seem to be viewing it as one great hivemind, by that I mean Richard Keys and Stan Collymore say something and that means the whole world is against us. I don't think its selective, although certain outlets may be, I think what we choose to read is though and people get very defensive even if its not attacking them.

Would be interesting to compare how much flak City got in 07 I think it was, I seem to remember Wolves getting a lot of s*** and i didn't pay attention to Sheff Utd

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am
For me it's actually other football fans annoying me more. I've made my thoughts on the takeover fairly clear throughout the thread, but to hear supposed football fans (including David Squires who I'm a massive fan of) saying "it's just a hobby, find something else to do" is utterly pathetic. This club is 30 odd years of my life, it's the time I get to see my mate from Harrogate who I wouldn't normally see, it's car journeys with my brother, and (the one thing that isn't remotely replaceable) it's hearing the old guy who sits next to me tell me about owners worse than Ashley and players that were here before I was born. Most football fans will have similar, that isn't easy to walk away from and they know it.

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:39 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:00 pm

Good post. Only issue I have with it is your point on the media. People seem to be viewing it as one great hivemind, by that I mean Richard Keys and Stan Collymore say something and that means the whole world is against us. I don't think its selective, although certain outlets may be, I think what we choose to read is though and people get very defensive even if its not attacking them.

Would be interesting to compare how much flak City got in 07 I think it was, I seem to remember Wolves getting a lot of s*** and i didn't pay attention to Sheff Utd
Yeh I perhaps should have added the caveat that it's not been all media outlets. There does seem to have been quite a few however, but this could quite easily be down to the timing of all of this - during Coronavirus there really hasn't been much football to talk about so this story will naturally attract far more attention than it may have normally. They need something to talk about! The likes of Keys do it for provocation more than anything else - he's like the Katie Hopkins of the football world.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 pm

It seems the majority of people making up their post takeover teams have emerson in there, what I've seen of him he's a bit s**** and very clumsy, is he really good on Fm or Fifa or something. <scratch>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 pm
It seems the majority of people making up their post takeover teams have emerson in there, what I've seen of him he's a bit s**** and very clumsy, is he really good on Fm or Fifa or something. <scratch>
Who’s Emerson? Haha

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:09 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Who’s Emerson? Haha
Right back for Betis.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Young and got a cap for Brazil. Can't say I've heard of him.