Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Remember Colo » Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 am

PTAO? wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:18 pm
Again, I'm surprised people are surprised by how long and drawn out this has become. It's a 300m pound purchase between a stubborn a**hole and a royal dictator, to gain access to a multi-billion pound industry, happening during a global pandemic. How could anyone expect it to happen smoothly and quickly?
This has nothing to do with it. They are far beyond the negotiations and have been since early April, it's all down to the Premier League approving it. It wouldn't matter if it was a £1 between Mary Poppins and Winnie the Pooh, it would still be the same lengthy process.
I wasn't meaning to imply that's why it's still dragging out. I really just meant that it's a complicated sale at a complicated time between complicated parties, so it seems totally reasonable that it's taking this long - even though yes, at this stage it's down to the PL.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 am

I must admit it would be quite funny if they do decide to buy Roma and the whole thing goes through in about a week, while journalists gush over how great it is that Roma will become a European powerhouse.
Kindly deeds done for free!

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 am

I think as another poster said, The Premier League have more important matters to concentrate on during this time, I expect as soon as there is any sort of decision made in regards to how finish the league then the takeover will go ahead.

As previously posted at the moment unless they go against what the rules they had setup it should be given the greenlight. I can see though them changing the rules and criteria after this similar to how they done with Southampton ownership.
I'll Hazard a guess

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 pm

So the takeover was meant to be confirmed today, but will actually be confirmed tomorrow instead. Or possibly next week. Or possibly next month. Or possibly not at all because the Saudis are now being investigated for money laundering apparently.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Tue May 19, 2020 5:43 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 pm
So the takeover was meant to be confirmed today, but will actually be confirmed tomorrow instead. Or possibly next week. Or possibly next month. Or possibly not at all because the Saudis are now being investigated for money laundering apparently.
Olivier Bernard said that he has a source and said that there would be an announcement today.

I have no doubt that he's going to get a bit of grief tonight and tomorrow <laugh>.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 pm

Given that 6 PL players have tested positive for coronavirus this weekend, and potential massive rebates due to broadcasters, it’s not exactly surprising our takeover isn’t top of the PLs agenda right now. I stay away from anything Newcastle related on social media as it’s just people constantly whining.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Hudson-Odoi the latest player to be breaching lockdown, I still think the PL should be banning all players that are getting caught, they are a liability to the health of the rest of league and all the people involved in the restart not to mention people I general, I honestly dont get why there isn't any action being taken against them, ban them until there is a vaccine and issue significant fines.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm

I'd imagine in Hudson-Odoi's case that's the least of his worries.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm
I'd imagine in Hudson-Odoi's case that's the least of his worries.
Christ, only just read why he was arrested.

I think PL needs to adopt a similar stance to the NFL, over there players get suspensions for anything that brings the league into a bad light, they are banned until its resolved, over here they are back at training the very next day, it's ridiculous, it's like they learned nothing from the Adam 'Noncin'Johnson saga.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 am

Absolutely. No chance he - or any other player with serious criminal allegations over their heads - should be playing football.
I had the first custom w***

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 am

Speedo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 am
Absolutely. No chance he - or any other player with serious criminal allegations over their heads - should be playing football.
Doesn't that assume guilt though?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 20, 2020 9:04 am

That's a legal thing, no ones suggested he should be locked away and the key thrown away. Plenty of employers would dole out a suspension for something as serious as that, usually for exactly the reason of reputation.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am

I disagree.

IF found guilty then absolutely the employer should distance themselves as much as possible (and of course the offender should be severely punished), but until that time you can't / shouldn't stop someone doing their job based on an allegation. Of course if the employee and employer agree that it's in both parties interests to distance themselves during the investigation that's one thing, but I don't think that in this case he should be stopped from playing football based on an allegation.

In true TF style to go off-topic, I also think it's appalling that in cases such as this, the victim remains anonymous and has their identity protected (as they should) yet the name of the accused person is public knowledge. Again, IF proven guilty they should absolutely be named and shamed, but until that time the alleged offender should have their identity protected too.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 20, 2020 10:06 am

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, I haven't said he should be suspended. I've just said this isn't the clear cut "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" thing you'd need in a legal case. There's a level in between where an employer would take action while an investigation (whether internal or police) would take place without it being an assumption of guilt.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 20, 2020 10:36 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:53 am
I disagree.

IF found guilty then absolutely the employer should distance themselves as much as possible (and of course the offender should be severely punished), but until that time you can't / shouldn't stop someone doing their job based on an allegation. Of course if the employee and employer agree that it's in both parties interests to distance themselves during the investigation that's one thing, but I don't think that in this case he should be stopped from playing football based on an allegation.

In true TF style to go off-topic, I also think it's appalling that in cases such as this, the victim remains anonymous and has their identity protected (as they should) yet the name of the accused person is public knowledge. Again, IF proven guilty they should absolutely be named and shamed, but until that time the alleged offender should have their identity protected too.
Totally agree, especially in a case like this. Regardless of how this case concludes, this will stick with him for the rest of his career. As long as he hasn't been convicted and isn't breaching any conditions put in place, then he should be absolutely free to carry on his life as normal. It might be that the stress of the situation means that the club can come to some arrangement with him, but he absolutely should not be suspended by the club or the league to protect their own reputation. That, to me, is as good as saying he's guilty; the press and football fans alike will certainly read it that way too.

The Sunderland comparison is slightly different as they were very public in their support of Johnson and protested his innocence. I wouldn't expect a club to do this, but maybe just comment that it is a matter for the Police/courts and they will revisit when necessary. Sadly, the press and fans alike would probably also read this as "club condones rape and supports rapists" so it's a bit of a double-edged sword, but in my opinion the right thing to do would be to let him carry on as normal if that's what he wants.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am

What was he actually arrests for ? All I can see is a woman who was at his house called for an ambulance ?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am

Arrested and bailed on suspicion of rape.

Anyway, is this takeover happening then?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm

But what happens if a player is found guilty and has just gone and played a whole season in the PL, the way the justice system works that is a possibility, you could potentially have a Aaron Hernandez type situation. Someone who's guilty of a horrific crime that is getting applauded and worshiped as a hero week in week out.

The PL need to make it a policy where players can be suspended if they put themselves in a position that can lead to a criminal conviction. At the end of the day they are role models earning ridiculous amounts of money, on tv every week and whether they like it or not they should be held to higher levels of scrutiny. People can go on about how they are people too etc, but at the end of the day they have chosen to be in the spotlight and to gain all the benefits that come with that, so they need to accept that being in that position also has its consequences, especially when you act like a complete prick/criminal.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Innocent or guilty he should be suspended.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm

Its not really a suitable topic for a football forum though and these things even on our very reasonable forum always end up blowing out of control.