Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Colly » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:25 pm

ScholarlySloth wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm
human rights do gooders
<disgrace>
<ok>

f*** me.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm

I've always thought there were plenty of reasons to reject it, even if I'd come to accept it was going to happen, and was totally understanding of fans who wanted it to go through. But the PL has completely bungled it by sitting on a fence for so long. Whatever decision they ultimately make will appear to lack conviction. Just pull the bandage and let the club move on whichever way it has to.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 pm

Yeah, whichever way they decide it’s a total embarrassment how long this is now taking. I did understand the delay with the Covid situation but the PL got up and running fine so no reason why they couldn’t have then sorted this.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53558392

Sounds a f***ing mess. Also the fact that 97% of NUST members are pro takeover makes me even happier I've never felt the urge to join them.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 pm

Doesn’t say anything we didn’t already know so the bbc looking for web traffic.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Really? I don't think I'd seen anything about clarity over ownership before, but then this place is the only way I see anything about it now.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:32 pm

I don't believe that for one second, isnt the first stage of the process identifying who they are going to have to test? Isnt that whole point of the god damn thing? 16 weeks and that's the last question. Also all this from "sources" nobody from PL is talking, nobody in the buyers camp is going to be talking in this manner. This source is obviously someone in opposition. To add I think its disgraceful the BBC can put out stories based on "sources" there is no reporting standards anymore. I've even seen bbc articles written based of a random twitter users tweet, it was legitimized by the word "sources".

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:27 am

ScholarlySloth wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:49 pm
human rights do gooders
<disgrace>
Four words to sum up the moral bankruptcy of supporting this takeover bid.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:49 am

<laugh>

How dare people care about human rights?! <fist>. This is football we're talking about here, it's far more important than state sponsored torture, murder, oppression etc! Lefty remoaner lunatics.

Oh and something about Corbyn <fist>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:50 am

All Lives Matter too <fist>

Marxists.

Corbyn <fist>

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am

- I just tried to use the supposed word 'irregardless', clearly I meant 'regardless' - of all the complexities at play here, I seem to be seeing 'do gooder' used as a pejorative a lot more these days. I find it a bit peculiar how to 'do good' seems to be an undesirable characteristic in some people's eyes. Sign of the times I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this all falls apart sooner rather than later.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 am

DavideDuck wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am
- I just tried to use the supposed word 'irregardless', clearly I meant 'regardless' - of all the complexities at play here, I seem to be seeing 'do gooder' used as a pejorative a lot more these days. I find it a bit peculiar how to 'do good' seems to be an undesirable characteristic in some people's eyes. Sign of the times I suppose.

Anyway, I hope this all falls apart sooner rather than later.
It always has been a derogatory term, but I remember 'do gooder' being used to refer to people who think they're doing the right thing, but are actually offended on someone else's behalf when that person/group doesn't actually give a s***. But you're right, it is now used as a derogatory term for anyone who disagrees with a particular point of view, such as thinking gay people should be allowed to get married or that people shouldn't be racist.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:27 am

Well the PL haven’t rejected it yet so it’s not totally dead and buried.

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:27 am
Well the PL haven’t rejected it yet so it’s not totally dead and buried.
It's such a perplexing situation. I feel like the PL think they should block it but are petrified of seeming despotic. I'm obviously a simple pleb who has no idea how these things work, but you get the sense that all parties are just playing chicken with each other hoping that someone pulls a trigger and puts an end to things. The PL could be hoping that, with the shitstorm that this situation has and will kick up, the PIF just shrug their shoulders and say 'you know what, nah' and wander off to the next project.

This isn't to say that the PL has grown a conscience btw, I just think there are too many people with big money that they could anger in this situation so they'd rather it just dissolve into nothing.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:19 pm

The government clearly leaving it up to the PL so they’ll need to decide one way or the other.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:36 pm

I always figured a do-gooder is an idealist who believes they can make a difference to a huge cause, when in fact the only difference they make is the introduction of minor irritation to people nearby. So by calling someone a do-gooder, you aren't necessarily dismissing their cause, but you are saying that their support for it is useless and they ought to just be pragmatic and give it up. Handing out leaflets in Flanders trenches recommending turning the other cheek, for instance, would be do-gooding.

All the same, I agree with people who aren't in favour of the takeover. And I don't think this is an instance of do-gooding, at least it isn't for me. Rather its a case personal scruples (like not buying clothes if they're made in sweatshops, or avoiding palm oil etc.) and also of not wanting your love of the club and sport to be tainted by association. I'd not have a pop at anyone who disagrees with me, but I'll stand by my opinion when its challenged.
DavideDuck wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 am
I'm obviously a simple pleb who has no idea how these things work, but you get the sense that all parties are just playing chicken with each other hoping that someone pulls a trigger and puts an end to things.
Also a pleb, but I agree this has hot potato written all over it. Surely at very least playing a part in the length of time it has taken.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:45 pm

I don't see how or why it is any of UK Governments business tbh.

If they have issues with dealing with the Saudis then obviously their arms deal from 2014 comes into question as does the 17.5 billion other financial dealings they have in place with the Kingdom.

In a sense the UK Government should be doing all it can to push it through as it potentially means more tax money come the future.
I'll Hazard a guess

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am

FWIW I’m pretty confident this will still go through but but the constant delays risk completely derailing our season.

I just want Ashley gone but I have to say I’m growing more and more concerned that the beauracracy and geopolitics are just a taste of what’s to come and whether this is all really worth it.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:06 pm

jpg wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:01 am
FWIW I’m pretty confident this will still go through but but the constant delays risk completely derailing our season.

I just want Ashley gone but I have to say I’m growing more and more concerned that the beauracracy and geopolitics are just a taste of what’s to come and whether this is all really worth it.
It definitely will still happen if it goes through but not with this intensity, right now it's all go to have it rejected so the onslaught is relentless. Although its pretty annoying how its seemingly being framed as Qatar = Good guys, SA= Bad Guys.

Go back to before Bein got the PL rights and the FA were the main people screaming corruption at Qatar and FIFA, now that Qatar money is pouring in you don't hear a peep about it, says everything about the business.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm

I don't like how we've become a pawn in a 'political'(actually financial) game. The takeover should never have had anything to do with the government and there's nothing that should have stopped it going through. Every other industry deals with Saudi Arabia and suddenly the PL(who have big financial deals with Qatar) are the ones who question it. PIF and the Saudis might be horrible people but there isn't anything to suggest they couldn't run a football club. The PL can't come out and say that any takeover would put their mega money deal with Qatar in jeopardy so they say nothing at all for months and things get 'leaked' about how they can't accept it on a moral level. The whole thing stinks.