Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:58 pm

This club is never going to get sold is it? <laugh>.... <neg>

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Hjl wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:23 pm
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:35 am

How about now? <roll>
<scratch> ok. Ill go up to 95% sure it won't go through.
100% <diva>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:30 pm

I've no doubt you and most fans wouldn't be persuaded, and I completely agree that ownership or denial of ownership won't impact anything that happens in their border. But fairly or not others will perceive support for them as owners as support for other things they do - just as it's reasonable to expect KSA will want football success to be a story to potentially distract. Do I think it will actually work for them? Absolutely not. But it's still the drama of all of this that I didn't want to deal with as a fan for the next however many years. I've come to accept it's just something I'll have to get over though.
You might not have to get over it as it probably won’t happen <roll>

I don’t think many people would see someone in a Newcastle shirt and think “they must support human rights abuse” if the takeover did go ahead, like nobody looks at a Man City fan and thinks “they must support modern day slavery” because of what happens in Qatar.
I more so meant that every time there's an article about an assassination, arms deal, military move, etc., there would always be a risk that Newcastle United is mentioned in the same article. Or that every time some idiot opposing fan brings up NUFC at the time of news like that, there'd have been some other idiot Newcastle fan downplaying it saying it's no different than what some other despot does.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

1. Don’t know the ins and outs of the owners tests but the fact it took so long is a farce. I would harbour little distaste to the FA or whoever if they’d made a decision either way but the clear tactic of trying to delay it to failure is shambolic
2. Still won’t be paying any money to our club until we have a new owner
3. Now won’t be paying any money to the Prem through Sky. Ironically illegal streams are gonna benefit from my watching next season

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Sounds like there was a time limit set on he contracts for completion, PL have basically deliberatly ran this down. Corruption at its finest, this is no victory for morals

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm
About time too.

The premier league have a lot to answer for their part in all of this, but as usual they'll say nothing or just deflect.
Sums up my feelings on it.

The statement from PIF pretty much sums up where the blame of the amount of time the premier league took in this.

As another poster said I think the PL will be relieved in a sense that this has happened.

They seemed to stalling on their decision in the hope it would fall through.

Be interesting to see what happens now with Mauriss
I'll Hazard a guess

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Current mood:

The credibility of the Premier League board, Mass Media, journalists... WOW. 5 months about nothing. :bandit:

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:06 pm

What'll also be annoying is that no matter what happens now, there'll be fans saying if only the Saudis had bought us they'd have brought in James, Coutinho, Messi, and a cloned younger Pele. Despite never actually knowing what their ambitions and abilities as owners would have been. This is going to loom over the club for a long time to come unless a similarly high profile ownership group brings success and fast.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:06 pm
What'll also be annoying is that no matter what happens now, there'll be fans saying if only the Saudis had bought us they'd have brought in James, Coutinho, Messi, and a cloned younger Pele. Despite never actually knowing what their ambitions and abilities as owners would have been. This is going to loom over the club for a long time to come unless a similarly high profile ownership group brings success and fast.
This. However I don’t think it’s the blame of the fans. The only people at fault are those high up on all sides

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm
Current mood:

The credibility of the Premier League board, Mass Media, journalists... WOW. 5 months about nothing. :bandit:
Don't really know how it harms the media or journalists credibility? The fact PIF pulled out doesn't make what the media reported over the past several months more or less true. It definitely harms the perception of professionalism and accountability of the PL board though.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Heard we're looking to loan in A. Pottopissin.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
This. However I don’t think it’s the blame of the fans. The only people at fault are those high up on all sides
Sure, they all deserve blame too, but there are plenty of fans that got way ahead of themselves in assuming how much money the Saudis were going to plow into the club, and how successful they were going to be in attracting world class players and potentially winning trophies - despite never hearing a word from anyone among the prospective owners. And sure, I think we all dreamed a little, but for the years to come I won't waste my time wondering what if and presuming there'd have been miracles.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Takeover off: bad
Takeover called off at beginning of off-season as opposed to right before start of new season: good
Club announcement being made on a thursday and not a friday: bad
Club not having bottomless pit of money at its disposal: bad
Club not being owned by despotical regime: good
Premier League showing complete lack of ownership: bad
Club still being owned by Mike Ashley: bad

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm
Scalabrine wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:04 pm
Current mood:

Don't really know how it harms the media or journalists credibility? The fact PIF pulled out doesn't make what the media reported over the past several months more or less true. It definitely harms the perception of professionalism and accountability of the PL board though.
Yeah the media can only report what they've been told by trusted sources. The view I've taken from the statement is the uncertainty and credibility is all on PL side.
I'll Hazard a guess

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:16 pm

Only 6/7 weeks until the new season starts, i'm sure we'll have our house in order by that time <roll>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:17 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah the media can only report what they've been told by trusted sources. The view I've taken from the statement is the uncertainty and credibility is all on PL side.
And even despite the delay, I suspect everyone involved, especially the Reubens and Staveley underestimated the negative scrutiny it'd receive, or at least how long it's been sustained, plus all of the privacy and WTO complaints that were more about the business of football than the human rights issues they would have anticipated.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Sure, they all deserve blame too, but there are plenty of fans that got way ahead of themselves in assuming how much money the Saudis were going to plow into the club, and how successful they were going to be in attracting world class players and potentially winning trophies - despite never hearing a word from anyone among the prospective owners. And sure, I think we all dreamed a little, but for the years to come I won't waste my time wondering what if and presuming there'd have been miracles.
Bad signal deleted my reply but basically I don’t think the fans are to blame based on precedent, funds available from PIF, and what media were saying. Even if it fell short of people’s ideas, it would still be ahead of our current owner (and likely future owners)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm

It'll also be interesting to see if or when PIF try to buy a football club in another league. Should they stay out of the football business now I might question what their commitment to it was in the first place (though I expect we'll hear rumours of alternative clubs for a while to come).

Caer Newydd
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Caer Newydd » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:21 pm

After lots of huff and puff,
The Saudis say enough is enough,
And ride into the sunset on their bike,
Leave us stuck here once more with Mike,
Henry Mauriss is now in the frame,
Next in line in the take-over game,
Cue endless months of negotiation,
Ending in inevitible disintergration.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Looks like Steve Wraith is gonna have to find another morally bankrupt cause to shill for.
My heart truly bleeds.

:)
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess