Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Toon Takeover Thread - PIF Pull Out

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm

I don't think I have the words to fully express how delighted I am that this deal has fallen through ... so i'll have to settle for a dancing Shola!

<dotheameobi>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm
Tbf I wouldn’t trust her as far as I could throw her.
Trust her more than the PL tbh

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Loan deals this summer then <urgh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Hahahahah

That'll teach you all for calling me a pessimist.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Apparently Spurs and Liverpool were a driving force amongst PL clubs trying to have it stopped.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Watch them buy another club as soon as all this pandemic s**** is over...
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Hjl wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:53 pm
Hahahahah

That'll teach you all for calling me a pessimist.
Funny way to spell c***.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Championship Beckons us with a warm embrace

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Also, this woh is us "if it were any other club they'd have approved it" (a direct quote) mentality is already irking me. Comparisons to Man City are off-base, because Saudi Arabia has had more bad press than their owners at the time, social media didn't really exist, there weren't other government interests/conflicts like Qatar to complicate things, and the league didn't have the benefit of hindsight to see how government involvement would change European club football.

I don't disagree that the opposing clubs probably don't want another challenger, but that sentiment would apply regardless of which club it was, and you can't really compare to what the league would have done had they bought Man U or Arsenal, because they never would have, because they're worth too much already to be a good investment. It's not because we're Newcastle, but that we're too late to the party and Saudi Arabia comes with more baggage than any previous prospective owner.

Despite all that, wish the PL had the balls to actually make the decision months ago rather than drag it out until they could escape accountability.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:04 pm
Also, this woh is us "if it were any other club they'd have approved it" (a direct quote) mentality is already irking me. Comparisons to Man City are off-base, because Saudi Arabia has had more bad press than their owners at the time, social media didn't really exist, there weren't other government interests/conflicts like Qatar to complicate things, and the league didn't have the benefit of hindsight to see how government involvement would change European club football.

I don't disagree that the opposing clubs probably don't want another challenger, but that sentiment would apply regardless of which club it was, and you can't really compare to what the league would have done had they bought Man U or Arsenal, because they never would have, because they're worth too much already to be a good investment. It's not because we're Newcastle, but that we're too late to the party and Saudi Arabia comes with more baggage than any previous prospective owner.

Despite all that, wish the PL had the balls to actually make the decision months ago rather than drag it out until they could escape accountability.
I do agree with you, but do you not think that the PL would be less inclined to play chicken as a strategy if a top 6 club was (hypothetically) involved? As I've already said, I'm glad it's not going through, but I can't help but feel the PL would have made more of an attempt to resolve this one way or another if it were one of the major brand teams who were subject to a bid. With a club of our stature they likely feel that a few weeks (at best) backlash from fans is worth it if it means they don't have to play arbiter to various parties that have their fingers in some powerful pies. Something tells me they wouldn't be as keen to take that risk if we were a powerhouse with more of a global reach, if only for the bad PR alone.

That being said, we are in the midst of a global pandemic and the PL have other things to deal with, but perhaps our mid-table (at best) status puts us at the bottom of a table of priorities.

There'll be anger, there'll be outrage, the media outlets will feed on the maddened Geordies that'll clog the phonelines, and then life will move on and the next big story in football will come into focus.
Last edited by DDuc on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm

People need to think twice before celebrating this, if the stuff coming out is true, the delay was constructed to keep power balance, not an ounce of blame has been put towards Piracy claims, they are even on record saying it was never put forward as an issue but the consortium tried to help solve disputes. The majority of the blame is being put on delaying tactics with other Premier League clubs being blamed along with PL itself delaying after all questions had allegedly been answered. If the answers were not satisfactory then fail it. You have to ask yourselves why wasn't it failed. I think it's clear the O&D test wasn't an issue, other clubs influence and PL being spineless was, no nufc fan wins today, as much as you think so, the conclusion has come about through dodgy means, no action was taken for any of our benefit.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 pm

krully wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 pm
Championship Beckons us with a warm embrace
A lot of us thought that this season and we were pretty comfortably safe despite our top league scorer only getting 6 goals. Next season there will still be six or seven poor/bang average teams (of which we’ll be one) and no reason why we can’t stay up. We’re pretty much on a par with teams like Palace and Brighton. One or two decent players, some hard workers, but a lack of attacking ability and pretty boring to watch.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Oh Mike u cheeky scamp
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:29 pm
People need to think twice before celebrating this, if the stuff coming out is true, the delay was constructed to keep power balance, not an ounce of blame has been put towards Piracy claims, they are even on record saying it was never put forward as an issue but the consortium tried to help solve disputes. The majority of the blame is being put on delaying tactics with other Premier League clubs being blamed along with PL itself delaying after all questions had allegedly been answered. If the answers were not satisfactory then fail it. You have to ask yourselves why wasn't it failed. I think it's clear the O&D test wasn't an issue, other clubs influence and PL being spineless was, no nufc fan wins today, as much as you think so, the conclusion has come about through dodgy means, no action was taken for any of our benefit.
I think plenty of us here who are happy to have seen this collapse will also agree with you on that. It's a good thing that human rights abusers haven't been waved through but, as with most things dominated by mega-money, the decision clearly wasn't made on ethical grounds. Nobody has gained anything from this and, for me anyway, it's exacerbated many of the negative feelings I had already held for the powers that be.

The only difference this makes for me is that there's still some hope that one day I can go to the match without having a crisis of morality.
Saying that, I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the sense of schadenfreude garnered from the meltdown of the flag emoji brigade.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:43 pm

At the end of the day it’s only a game and we should all have more important things to worry about than who owns a football club.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the trials and tribulations of NUFC really used to get to me and if we lost I’d be annoyed etc, but when you leave your teenage years and early 20s behind you then it bothers you less and less (well that’s the case for me). Obviously I want us to win every game, but if we don’t I’m just like “never mind, time to get on with something more useful”.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:25 pm
I don't think I have the words to fully express how delighted I am that this deal has fallen through ... so i'll have to settle for a dancing Shola!

<dotheameobi>
<parrot> also works.
Kindly deeds done for free!

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Not fussed, knew it wouldn't happen

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:43 pm
At the end of the day it’s only a game and we should all have more important things to worry about than who owns a football club.

Like someone mentioned earlier, the trials and tribulations of NUFC really used to get to me and if we lost I’d be annoyed etc, but when you leave your teenage years and early 20s behind you then it bothers you less and less (well that’s the case for me). Obviously I want us to win every game, but if we don’t I’m just like “never mind, time to get on with something more useful”.
Hopefully the NFL season goes ahead this year, I've fallen out of love with football long before today, go back 10 years and I'd have hated us being taken over by someone with so much wealth, I always wanted us to crack the PL without financial backing, sadly it became a pipe dream for any club (leicester the only exception) the only way we can do anything of note is with money, I'm not local to Newcastle it's very difficult for me to go to any games unless its away and nearby so the fun for me very much is sapped in this era, I dont have that day out with good mates to fall back on all I have to show for a game is the joy of a win or a loss. So when you have the last 13 years of that will little to show for it kinda loses all the fun. For me the takeover was a chance to reignite something thats been dying for years. I can't see myself following the club much longer whilst things are the way they are especially when I have another sport to follow and to be honest if the NFL season was longer I'd have probably given up on football full stop by now.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:55 pm
Apparently Spurs and Liverpool were a driving force amongst PL clubs trying to have it stopped.
I've also read that Mike Ashley tried to completely change the deal at the last second, but then also that the club didn't know this was coming. Website clicks and retweets is all they want. Drum up a bit more anger from the Newcastle fans and make a bit more cash. Over the coming weeks, there will be loads more of this absolute s**** from the people who didn't know anything in the first place. There were two points at which people actually knew anything at all about what was happening; when the bid was passed to the PL and then again today.
Kindly deeds done for free!