Toon Takeover Thread - Chopra should be champing at the bit

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
37%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
7%
Unsure but I want it to
24%
Unsure but I don't want it to
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
10%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
2%
Couldn't give a f***
10%

Total votes: 41

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by bodacious benny » Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm

I think it's a dangerous precedent to treat people differently based on their job essentially. It's innocent until proven guilty and not the other way around. And where do you draw the line? You'd have to categorise some crimes as 'acceptable to carry on playing' and others as 'required suspension pending outcome of criminal investigation' so essentially putting out the message that some crimes are 'okay'.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Wed May 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Still no sign of this getting finished.

80% sure it's not happening now.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm
I think it's a dangerous precedent to treat people differently based on their job essentially. It's innocent until proven guilty and not the other way around. And where do you draw the line? You'd have to categorise some crimes as 'acceptable to carry on playing' and others as 'required suspension pending outcome of criminal investigation' so essentially putting out the message that some crimes are 'okay'.
But that already happens, individual employers will have different rules on suspension for misconduct, actual criminal acts and all sorts. It's not remotely a dangerous precedent, unless it's the Premier League we're expecting to make the decision rather than Chelsea football club.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm
But what happens if a player is found guilty and has just gone and played a whole season in the PL, the way the justice system works that is a possibility, you could potentially have a Aaron Hernandez type situation. Someone who's guilty of a horrific crime that is getting applauded and worshiped as a hero week in week out.

The PL need to make it a policy where players can be suspended if they put themselves in a position that can lead to a criminal conviction. At the end of the day they are role models earning ridiculous amounts of money, on tv every week and whether they like it or not they should be held to higher levels of scrutiny. People can go on about how they are people too etc, but at the end of the day they have chosen to be in the spotlight and to gain all the benefits that come with that, so they need to accept that being in that position also has its consequences, especially when you act like a complete prick/criminal.
This specific alleged offence is probably a good example of how you could not possibly do this.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 20, 2020 1:20 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:00 pm
But what happens if a player is found guilty and has just gone and played a whole season in the PL, the way the justice system works that is a possibility, you could potentially have a Aaron Hernandez type situation. Someone who's guilty of a horrific crime that is getting applauded and worshiped as a hero week in week out.

The PL need to make it a policy where players can be suspended if they put themselves in a position that can lead to a criminal conviction. At the end of the day they are role models earning ridiculous amounts of money, on tv every week and whether they like it or not they should be held to higher levels of scrutiny. People can go on about how they are people too etc, but at the end of the day they have chosen to be in the spotlight and to gain all the benefits that come with that, so they need to accept that being in that position also has its consequences, especially when you act like a complete prick/criminal.
This specific alleged offence is probably a good example of how you could not possibly do this.
So him getting arrested and a woman who he had just met requiring hospital treatment because of an alleged rape is a totally unavoidable situation.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed May 20, 2020 4:45 pm

I can promise wherever any of you work (unless in the XI for Sunderland...), if you were arrested with those accusations, you'd be off work (at best suspended with pay) until the legal proceedings were resolved. If you're charged with that kind of crime, they don't want you to represent their organization, or be around your coworkers/customers, should it turn out you were guilty (or did it but even couldn't be found guilty in a court of law). Good thing it's pretty easy to avoid being arrested for those crimes.

And to BB's post higher above, I think it's pretty easy to rank crime severity from an employer's perspective, the system already does it. Violent and sexual crimes seem pretty easy to rank above theft, and other non-threatening crimes that wouldn't pose risks to the safety of coworkers or the public. Though if the theft is from or related to your workplace, expect to kick rocks then too.

As for the takeover, it'll eventually go through, I'm sure it's just down to formalities that probably would have been resolved faster during a simpler time.

Edit: Sorry if I'm dragging out this topic longer than it should have - my wife is a labour/employment lawyer, so employee discipline processes are a pretty common topic of conversation around our house.

HowayTheLads
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by HowayTheLads » Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Express (yes, I know) are reporting the PL are “thought to have given” the green light.

Here is the link: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... -300m-deal

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm

HowayTheLads wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm
Express (yes, I know) are reporting the PL are “thought to have given” the green light.

All comes from this tweet;

I for one don't believe him as its some random source from the middle east and Keith Downie has said that he isn't aware of any updates and he's got sources close to the deal than just about everybody else.

HowayTheLads
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by HowayTheLads » Wed May 20, 2020 6:26 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm
HowayTheLads wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:14 pm

I for one don't believe him as its some random source from the middle east and Keith Downie has said that he isn't aware of any updates and he's got sources close to the deal than just about everybody else.
Wouldn’t shock me but can’t see how the two are linked (literally - been looking online but can’t see it).

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 pm

HowayTheLads wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:26 pm
Wed May 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Wouldn’t shock me but can’t see how the two are linked (literally - been looking online but can’t see it).
If you look on newsnow; https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Footb ... ed?type=ln and look from 16:00 onwards you'll see that from the tweet (above), articles start coming out saying the exact same thing. Some include the tweet as a source and others don't.

HowayTheLads
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by HowayTheLads » Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 pm

Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 pm
HowayTheLads wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:26 pm

If you look on newsnow; https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Footb ... ed?type=ln and look from 16:00 onwards you'll see that from the tweet (above), articles start coming out saying the exact same thing. Some include the tweet as a source and others don't.
<ok>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

If I had a pound for everytime I've seen the deal was imminent and to be announced I'd be able to buy the club myself.

I did though hear a rumour that staff and players were told and have all signed NDAs to keep quiet
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm

This is all getting a bit weird now wtf

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm
If I had a pound for everytime I've seen the deal was imminent and to be announced I'd be able to buy the club myself.

I did though hear a rumour that staff and players were told and have all signed NDAs to keep quiet
I know for a fact senior staff / players were all told when the deal was signed off and submitted to the Premier League for approval a few weeks back.

So it is possible that they will have also been told if the Premier League has have it the green light. There certainly seems to be a lot more leaks as well as growing confidence within the local media in the past couple of days as well which would also add up.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed May 20, 2020 11:12 pm

TJR wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 pm

I know for a fact senior staff / players were all told when the deal was signed off and submitted to the Premier League for approval a few weeks back.

So it is possible that they will have also been told if the Premier League has have it the green light. There certainly seems to be a lot more leaks as well as growing confidence within the local media in the past couple of days as well which would also add up.
<scratch>

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 am

It's just a way of getting a couple of thousand followers. Twitter folk are clinging onto any hope.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 21, 2020 9:11 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:24 am
It's just a way of getting a couple of thousand followers. Twitter folk are clinging onto any hope.
Yep <ok>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 am

Very intresting development at Sheffield Utd. Today it has been announced that the cousin if MBS (now former Sheffield Utd owner) has ceased to be a person with significant control at the club as of 18/10/19.

That now rubbishes any conflict of interest argument, if there ever was one anyway.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am

Yet again shows the amount of crap flying about.

I'll stick to not paying any attention to anything.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am

TJR wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:21 am
Very intresting development at Sheffield Utd. Today it has been announced that the cousin if MBS (now former Sheffield Utd owner) has ceased to be a person with significant control at the club as of 18/10/19.

That now rubbishes any conflict of interest argument, if there ever was one anyway.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/comp ... ng-history
In February their was also a filling for that date relating to him, <scratch> this companies house stuff is all a bit confusing