Toon Takeover Thread

Will the PIF-backed takeover happen and do you want it to?

Yes it will happen and I want it to
16
41%
Yes it will happen but I don't want it to
3
8%
Unsure but I want it to
8
21%
Unsure but I don't want it to
4
10%
No it won't happen but I want it to
3
8%
No it won't happen and I don't want it to
1
3%
Couldn't give a f***
4
10%
 
Total votes: 39

overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 20315
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am

People do realise that beoutQ started up when the Saudis and other Arab nations placed boycotts on Qatar for allegedly sponsoring terrorism, especially the Muslim Brotherhood. They closed borders and stopped essential trade with Qatar to the extent that Turkey and Iran are supplying Qatar with food.

Once they did that; it became illegal for Saudi citizens to pay subscriptions to BeIn. Within a matter of weeks, set top boxes to get beoutQ were available in Saudi Arabia and given that you cant do jack s*** in Saudi Arabia without government approval does raise the question of how beoutQ managed the roll out so quickly and for such a long period of time.

Its blatantly obvious that the Saudi government have allowed this piracy to continue on the basis that Qatar wont get any revenue from the Saudi audience.

The Premier League find themselves stuck in a Geopolitical quagmire as thier tried and tested ownership process was never designed for this.

seaside nipper
Bruce's Cabbage
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am
Location: West of Scotland by the sea

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by seaside nipper » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am

Ffs, I see Angus MacNeil has pitched in now. Stop this takeover. This creep is not worth the squeeze. Your typical pest and borderline shifty creep from the outer isles. Trying to grasp five minutes of fame. This is a most untrustworthy idiot. Pretty rich for him to be coming out with phrases about abuse and playing by the rules. Another meddling political hypocrite. All in my opinion of course <whistle> <whistle>
Clydeside & Tyneside

overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 20315
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by overseasTOON » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 am

seaside nipper wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am
Ffs, I see Angus MacNeil has pitched in now. Stop this takeover. This creep is not worth the squeeze. Your typical pest and borderline shifty creep from the outer isles. Trying to grasp five minutes of fame. This is a most untrustworthy idiot. Pretty rich for him to be coming out with phrases about abuse and playing by the rules. Another meddling political hypocrite. All in my opinion of course <whistle> <whistle>
He's the chair for the International Trade Select Committee and this transaction is 100% within his remit (still falls under Culture/Sports secretary) which allows him to scrutinise and state his opinion which is that this deal has the potential to harm a UK industry given that Saudi have flouted international rules in regards to a UK product.

seaside nipper
Bruce's Cabbage
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am
Location: West of Scotland by the sea

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by seaside nipper » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:28 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 am
seaside nipper wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:43 am
Ffs, I see Angus MacNeil has pitched in now. Stop this takeover. This creep is not worth the squeeze. Your typical pest and borderline shifty creep from the outer isles. Trying to grasp five minutes of fame. This is a most untrustworthy idiot. Pretty rich for him to be coming out with phrases about abuse and playing by the rules. Another meddling political hypocrite. All in my opinion of course <whistle> <whistle>
He's the chair for the International Trade Select Committee and this transaction is 100% within his remit (still falls under Culture/Sports secretary) which allows him to scrutinise and state his opinion which is that this deal has the potential to harm a UK industry given that Saudi have flouted international rules in regards to a UK product.
Yup, totally get that. Point is he’s just an horrible individual with a messy past and an axe to grind with particular reference to this Newcastle takeover. He’s one of many who cannot accept or rationalise the sheer eye watering money going into the English Premier league. He’s gonna revel in his wee bit of infamy his position allows. His team get about £1.5m for winning the title , the bottom club in the EPL gets £100m , so there’s some context.
The rest is worthy of a wee google if you are inclined, it’s a diversion from the garbage that comes out each day about who Newcastle are signing next !
Anyway let’s get this take over done ✅
Clydeside & Tyneside

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10046
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:42 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 am
People do realise that beoutQ started up when the Saudis and other Arab nations placed boycotts on Qatar for allegedly sponsoring terrorism, especially the Muslim Brotherhood. They closed borders and stopped essential trade with Qatar to the extent that Turkey and Iran are supplying Qatar with food.

Once they did that; it became illegal for Saudi citizens to pay subscriptions to BeIn. Within a matter of weeks, set top boxes to get beoutQ were available in Saudi Arabia and given that you cant do jack s*** in Saudi Arabia without government approval does raise the question of how beoutQ managed the roll out so quickly and for such a long period of time.

Its blatantly obvious that the Saudi government have allowed this piracy to continue on the basis that Qatar wont get any revenue from the Saudi audience.

The Premier League find themselves stuck in a Geopolitical quagmire as thier tried and tested ownership process was never designed for this.
Thanks for a level of detail I didn't have on the circumstances there. It seems like the best avenue then would have been for Saudi Arabia to try and negotiate for them to have their own broadcast rights separate from beIN's regional rights. Having exclusivity there when it's illegal for subscriptions seems less than ideal.

Midland Magpie
Guest
Guest

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Midland Magpie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am

the Saudis getting their own broadcast rights would be the obvious easy way out... but.

1. Suddenly the cost of buying the club just got a lot more expensive. 350mil for the club + X-amount for TV rights to facilitate the deal suddenly makes buying us less attractive.

2. BeIn would want compensation from the Premier League/Saudi. Cant see either paying up.

3. The PL is not going to want to do anything that harms the value of its TV Rights product. Allowing KSA to have its own rights while BeIN have regional rights does that.

4. The PL doesnt actually gain much wether we are bought or not. It will only be interested in itself and its actions one way or another will be scrutinised

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by TJR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:04 am

Looks like the KSA PIF are buying shares in BT. Which would then make them one of the Premier League's broadcasting partners.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... gain-hunt/

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by TJR » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:54 am

Saudi's cracking down on piracy <laugh>


Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9761
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am

Midland Magpie wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am
the Saudis getting their own broadcast rights would be the obvious easy way out... but.

1. Suddenly the cost of buying the club just got a lot more expensive. 350mil for the club + X-amount for TV rights to facilitate the deal suddenly makes buying us less attractive.

2. BeIn would want compensation from the Premier League/Saudi. Cant see either paying up.

3. The PL is not going to want to do anything that harms the value of its TV Rights product. Allowing KSA to have its own rights while BeIN have regional rights does that.

4. The PL doesnt actually gain much wether we are bought or not. It will only be interested in itself and its actions one way or another will be scrutinised
Yeah but that assumes they are buying separate rights from Bein as of the day it goes through, they could structure a deal to begin in a couple of years time when the Bein contract is up. Also how does having 2 separate packages going to MENA harm tv rights? It anything you have 2 packages available to be bid on, both parties will want to bid for the whole lot potentially causing a bidding war. Also I doesn't increase the cost of the club because because KSA will make profit off having league rights

Also the premier league brand gets strengthened with another mega rich owner, the more superstars that are attracted to the league the more the brand grows.

I honestly don't see much of a logical argument from your post, sorry.

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:05 pm

The Saudi's have crackdown on piracy;

The Official Saudi Authority for Intellectual Property rights announced:

"Within the framework of the Kingdom's efforts to reduce violations of the right... we aim to block 231 websites that violate intellectual property regimes, with a view to shutting them down."

"Those violating sites included a group of violations, which are sites that download and watch movies and series without obtaining a prior authorisation from the right holder, direct broadcast sites for encrypted sports channels without obtaining a prior license from the right owner... and the sites selling subscriptions and servers of TV channels encoded through IPTV."

The statement also threatened prison to people who continued to break the new rules enforced by the Saudi government.

"The commission emphasised that these practices violate the copyright protection system and entail financial penalties and fines that may amount to 250,000 Saudi riyals, the closure of the violating site or the cancellation of the commercial license, and in some cases it amounts to imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or defamation at the account of the infringer and removing the infringement."

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:52 pm

Why don’t the just cut the hands off of anyone who breaks the law <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 8350
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Toondes » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:53 pm

So I’m going to struggle to stream games then.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:59 pm

Toondes wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:53 pm
So I’m going to struggle to stream games then.
Your the reason the takeover hasn't gone through! <mob>

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Hjl » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Colly wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:04 pm
But in these cases it's not a billionaire buying a football club in lieu of a new yacht, this is a sovereign wealth fund of a nation. Used for the most part to generate wealth (which it has) but also to further the ambitions of the nation. As much as there are lots of red flags over the likes of Abramovich already again I don't think the situations are that comparable.

Regards the actual terminology, I'll happily say "whitewashing their human rights abuses" but it takes longer to type...
We prefer the term ethnically diverse wash thank you.

Toon Ireland
Aarons' Ailments
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: Cork

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Toon Ireland » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Looks like things moved a step closer to completion, and it wouldn't be Newcastle if there wasn't so much drama and ups and downs along the way! Hopefully this takeover will be official soon and the summer/ transfer plans can kick off.
Probably dreaming here but Sane would be a huge statement of intent of we could get him over the line. More than anything else at least we can look forward to some positivity around the club and a good morale boost for people, no offense to all the people against the takeover!

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6330
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by Colly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:05 am

Sane's practically at Bayern already.

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Stavanger

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 am

Colly wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:05 am
Sane's practically at Bayern already.
Yep only thing left is for City and Bayern to agree on a fee.

He's already sorted his terms with them
<ayo>

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9572
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am

Lots of papers saying the takeover will be completed this week.

We’ve heard it all before <erm>

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by TJR » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:42 am

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am
Lots of papers saying the takeover will be completed this week.

We’ve heard it all before <erm>
I think the Premier League are going to have to decide some time soon.

This is the 12 week of Premier League scrutiny we are going into now and they no longer have the excuse of having to sort out Project Restart.

They can't just sit on this indefinitely so one way or the other something has to give.

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Stavanger

Re: Toon Takeover Thread

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 am

Midland Magpie wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:17 am
the Saudis getting their own broadcast rights would be the obvious easy way out... but.

1. Suddenly the cost of buying the club just got a lot more expensive. 350mil for the club + X-amount for TV rights to facilitate the deal suddenly makes buying us less attractive.

2. BeIn would want compensation from the Premier League/Saudi. Cant see either paying up.

3. The PL is not going to want to do anything that harms the value of its TV Rights product. Allowing KSA to have its own rights while BeIN have regional rights does that.

4. The PL doesnt actually gain much wether we are bought or not. It will only be interested in itself and its actions one way or another will be scrutinised
1. The amount of money they'd make back from sponsorship and advertising money would far equate the cost.

2. Why would they?

3. They're gaining money I remember all these questions being asked when BT and Amazon bought rights, hasn't affected their revenue in a negative way in fact its total opposite. Having more money from another country is only a good thing for them.

4.Of course it does, more clubs make the more PL makes. If we do better it's more world wide coverage for a Premier league club more revenue and exposure for pl.
<ayo>

Post Reply