ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Match thread - NUFC v Burnley

Post by ALF » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:55 pm
<ok>

Sums it up for me. Baffling that at the point we started to go a bit long ball we took Joelinton off instead of Gayle.
We're missing Carroll badly.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am

Underwhelming result but thought we looked more positive. Gayle, Hayden and Ritchie need to stay in the starting squad. Joelinton looked more comfortable.

Still quite confident we’ll stay up but it’s so disappointing to be be crawling over the line once again.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 pm

jpg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am
Underwhelming result but thought we looked more positive. Gayle, Hayden and Ritchie need to stay in the starting squad. Joelinton looked more comfortable.

Still quite confident we’ll stay up but it’s so disappointing to be be crawling over the line once again.
Hayden should stay in 100%. Ritchie maybe but I'd rather play ASM. Gayle needs to drop back out, he's not good enough and not fit enough. I'd actually like to see Joelinton play up top with some players near him.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 pm

Yeah I agree, Joelinton with ASM, Almiron plus Ritchie/Lazaro is a different thing to Joelinton with Almiron occasionally within 20 yards of him.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 pm
jpg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 am

Hayden should stay in 100%. Ritchie maybe but I'd rather play ASM. Gayle needs to drop back out, he's not good enough and not fit enough. I'd actually like to see Joelinton play up top with some players near him.
Could we not play Almiron more centrally with Ritchie and ASM on either side? Hayden and another one in the engine room, Gayle up top. Not dissimilar to the 4231 the second half of that 5th placed season where we were exciting and attacking and fun to watch. Or ASM centrally and Almiron wider. Joelinton and Lazarro as options from the bench out wide. Swap Atsu for some new training bibs or something.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:33 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm
ALF wrote:

Could we not play Almiron more centrally with Ritchie and ASM on either side? Hayden and another one in the engine room, Gayle up top. Not dissimilar to the 4231 the second half of that 5th placed season where we were exciting and attacking and fun to watch. Or ASM centrally and Almiron wider. Joelinton and Lazarro as options from the bench out wide. Swap Atsu for some new training bibs or something.
Yeah I think that's the way to go. I'd rather see Joelinton than Gayle though. He can join Atsu working in Sports Direct or something.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:44 pm

<joelinton>
<saintmaximin> <almiron> <ritchie>
Gives Joelinton more support, puts Almiron in his favoured position.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 pm

CIH wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:42 pm
ALF wrote:

This. I've been saying this recently, we should drop Joelinton and let either ASM/Miggy roam/float around the center/left-hand side in and around him with Ritchie providing the bullets from the right and Gayle firing them in!!! <gent>

Ritchie needs to start, he offers set-piece delivery, crossing ability, not scared to shoot, gets in to goal scoring positions and his work-rate is phenomenal a proper grafter may not be the quickest or technically gifted but he makes up for it in his endeavor and sheer determination to the cause. Gayle I thought did better than Joelinton in the no.9 position just seemed a bit rusty and of the pace at times but it was his first full start in a while so should get better and more confidence needs to find his shooting boots on quickly.. get ASM back in and let Miggy do his thing. Put Hayden in there with one of the Longstaff brothers as I don't think Shelvey's the answer right now too much of a liability defensively at times, loses the ball far too often, just stands there pointing fingers at everyone else when it's his responsibility to track back, intercept, win the ball back and get us on the front foot and he still tries to them ''Hollywood passes'' which looks good but isn't always effective and will only work once in a blue moon. Bentaleb is OK but doesn't look fully fit and is still adjusting to getting to grips with the pace, intensity and physicality of the Prem, he doesn't look like a upgrade on what we have either way doesn't do anything spectacular or special for me to have him starting over the Longstaff brothers or Hayden.

Line up for Southampton

Duba
Manquillo Lascelles Schar Rose
Hayden S.Longstaff
Ritchie Miggy ASM
Gayle

Bench : Darlow, Fernandez, Yeds, Lazaro, Shelvey, M.Longstaff / Atsu / Muto and Joelitnon.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 pm

I'd like to see similar to what you've suggested but I'd keep Shelvey in. Him and Hayden provide a nice balance in CM and as we've seen in the past, if Shelvey plays well then we tend to play well. If he's having a poor game then we can bring Longstaff on.

Also Fernandez has been playing well so it would be harsh to drop him. Therefore I'd go:
<dubravka>
<manq> <lascelles> <fernandez> <drose>
<hayden> <shelvey>
<ritchie> <almiron> <saintmaximin>
<gayle>