Football Kit 20/21

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Football Kit 20/21

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:24 pm

^ Too much white for me personally. Juventus just went through a season with half-and-half black and white too, and the world didn't come to an end. Personally I'm not too precious about how the stripes are presented. I appreciate some really straight forward and traditional approaches to striped kits, plus some wilder ones, either can be done well - but it's only ever for 1 year anyway.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:05 pm

I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Good.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:34 pm

I sympathise with the lower league clubs that rely more heavily on that sponsorship money, but I do laugh at the suggestion that betting companies will ever do anything meaningful to minimize problem gambling and addiction. Especially all of these foreign online ones that never have to deal with the impacts of it.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:34 pm
I sympathise with the lower league clubs that rely more heavily on that sponsorship money, but I do laugh at the suggestion that betting companies will ever do anything meaningful to minimize problem gambling and addiction. Especially all of these foreign online ones that never have to deal with the impacts of it.
Yep, reality is they want as many people as possible to keep on betting regardless of the token “when the fun stops” gestures.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Barrsky85
Bruce's Cabbage

Post by Barrsky85 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:34 pm

I may be Scottish but I bleed Black and White Stripes, no seriously, am pretty worried!

lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:59 pm

<ayo>

Barrsky85
Bruce's Cabbage

Post by Barrsky85 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 pm

The effort...
I may be Scottish but I bleed Black and White Stripes, no seriously, am pretty worried!

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:00 pm

f***ing hell.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Puma make such s**** kits. Adidas or Nike are the only ones worth buying and one of our last Adidas kits is in fact the last one I bought

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Better than this year's...
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:22 am

I Don’t buy them anyway so not bothered!

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:50 am

Chappy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:18 pm
Better than this year's...
No way. If that's real that's someone stitching black sleeves onto a black and white square, it's horrendous. Looks like the shitty teamwear Sports Direct sell for pub teams.

lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am

I never get the disdain when a new jersey comes out, I'm sure what more people expect from a black and white striped jersey.

The only things you can realistically do is

a) make the stripes wider or narrower
b) Have them at some kind of angle (See Inter jersey)
c) Or god forbid invert terms to be hoops.

I'd be interested to see the back though is it striped or a single colour?
<ayo>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 am

Surely there's even less you can do with a plain top? There are loads of examples of great new striped kits in this thread alone, none of which are a big stripey square with black sleeves sewn on in a straight line. I just don't see how this argument bears out when we had so many decent Adidas kits (where they did plenty of different things with black and white stripes), this ones a shocker. Even the collar looks like they just couldn't be arsed.

I won't be buying one as I haven't bought one of our kits for a long time, but let's not give them excuses.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am

To say there’s only three things you can do with a shirt is pretty ridiculous. You can change the collar, the position of logos, you can add flashes of colour, you can change the trim at the bottom, you can have stripes all the way around or have block panels in some sections, you can have striped sleeves or block sleeves. I’m no designer so they’re just ones off the top of my head in 30 seconds and I’d hope professionals have more ideas than I do.

Literally the first reply to this thread is a concept kit that is totally unique and stylish. After 10 years with Puma, we’ve yet to have a kit that is stylish or even unique. I don’t understand how the designers and everybody involved come back with such uninteresting kits every single year.

Cal
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:16 am

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am
I never get the disdain when a new jersey comes out, I'm sure what more people expect from a black and white striped jersey.

The only things you can realistically do is

a) make the stripes wider or narrower
b) Have them at some kind of angle (See Inter jersey)
c) Or god forbid invert terms to be hoops.

I think you've just solved fashion there.

More seriously - because this is clearly serious business - there is quite a bit more you can do with the stripes, but that just sets the base of the design - how far the stripes pattern repeats horizontally in combination with the sleeves, shoulders, sides, collar, and trim can make for a very different looking shirt.

Take a look at the past 30 years of kits, you could be reductionist and say they're all just black and white stripes, but there's a lot of variety in how the shirt comes together:
SpoilerShow
Since the late 60s, we've favoured kits with a central black stripe, which was then cemented with the current badge (1988) and its 2 white / 3 black stripe design. A common trend over the last 20 years has been to emulate this in the kit design, either with a primarily black shirt with two white stripes, or a white shirt with three black stripes. The current kit is probably the most obvious example of this, while 2016-17 inverted this and was pretty much two black stripes on white (but still snuck some sleeve detail in). Even that "Magpie Brand" shirt managed to hit on these features.

When we go for more numerous, narrow stripes, that tends to be reflected throughout the kit - adidas seemed to be big fans of this thanks to the whole 3-stripe brand on the sleeves.

In this leaked kit there isn't any of that, which is probably what makes it feel like a budget teamwear template. It is just a black and white striped shirt with black shoulders and sleeves. It probably looks fine in play, and in time will feel "Newcastle" through exposure, but I'm not seeing any design elements that say Newcastle.

I don't know why I wrote this all, it's a football shirt that I won't be buying or wearing.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am
Inner collar looks like a solid black, so either there's a big black block across the back of the shoulders and stripes underneath, or the entire back will be black.

lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 am

I never claimed to be a fashion expert, anything nice I own was bought by my wife
<ayo>

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:29 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:11 am

Literally the first reply to this thread is a concept kit that is totally unique and stylish. After 10 years with Puma, we’ve yet to have a kit that is stylish or even unique. I don’t understand how the designers and everybody involved come back with such uninteresting kits every single year.
In Puma's defense, and this is literally the only thing I'll say in Pumas defense, the 11/12 home kit is one of my favourites. And that one really did change the template.

Cal
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:00 pm

£65 RRP <awe>

The finer details appear to be that there are no finer details:

The back has stripes under the black shoulders at least, presumably red numbering again.