Football Set to Return? - Premier League returns on 17th June

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Football Set to Return? - Premier League returns on 17th June

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:30 pm

It looks like other sporting events are finally starting to move towards restarting, German teams have started training again and are due to start playing behind closed doors next month, PGA have announced golf will resume in June.

Yesterday Sky were reporting that PL teams are keen to finish the league before the end of June to avoid the minefield of expiring loans and contracts. So could that mean we are set to see PL teams also get back to training soon? It looks like late may could be a possibility, I think the league has more than enough resources to keep teams isolated if they need a quick turn around of games, also they could have rigorous testing on players and staff to help keep a safe environment.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Football Set to Return?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Tbh it doesn’t matter what PL teams want. The issue is far bigger than them so it’s down to what the government and authorities decide.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 am

Looks like a return is more than likely going ahead, like i said on the other thread, can see this being on the pitch too

Premier League players will have to cover their faces as part of new rules to allow a safe return to full training.

A document setting out 'Project Restart' will be discussed at a club meeting on Friday, as initially reported by the Daily Mirror.

Proposals have been drafted by Premier League director of football Richard Garlick but a return to training will only happen with the agreement of the government.

Plans include testing all players and officials 48 hours before returning to training and they will also be tested for potential respiratory problems associated with coronavirus.

Other proposals include:

All footballs, global positioning system [GPS] units, cones, corner flags, goalposts and other equipment to be disinfected before and after use by staff wearing personal protective equipment [PPE]
Players to wear snood/masks at all times
Cars to be parked three spaces apart
No massages unless approved by club doctor
Fluids to be left at designated pick-up points
Only visit training block to use toilet
Initially only five players per training group
Players to be given designated time slots and 15 minutes to prepare
75 minutes of small group training
15 minutes recovery
Players and staff will be banned from spitting at the training ground

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Plans in Norway is to start the league 23 May with games most likely to be behind closed doors until September at the earliest, even then it all depends on the next meeting the NFF has with the government, if they deem it safe to do so.

I'm still back in Dublin at the moment, so don't know the full extent of what the lockdown has been there other then what I've been told by my club.
I'll Hazard a guess

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Seeing that spitting is banned; will the nasal clearance and wipe clean on the shirt also be banned?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:59 pm

I think there's zero chance of games being played in front of fans for the rest of 2020.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Reports that St. George's Park could be used to stage all games, there's 13 training pitches there.

Whether that happens or games are behind closed doors there will definitely be some strange results. Some players/teams will find it harder to motivate themselves as much playing in what will feel like training matches rather than full blown PL games with tens of thousands of fans cheering you / on your back.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:09 pm
Reports that St. George's Park could be used to stage all games, there's 13 training pitches there.

Whether that happens or games are behind closed doors there will definitely be some strange results. Some players/teams will find it harder to motivate themselves as much playing in what will feel like training matches rather than full blown PL games with tens of thousands of fans cheering you / on your back.
I've thought about this too, it's going to be weird, will feel a bit like pre season. Maybe with the games being televised then the players can still put their game head on.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Farcical. Players wearing masks, are they going to live at St George's park? It's just so not worth it .

Hope the government knocks them into touch but I doubt it.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:28 pm

So what if covid is around until the end of next year? Or the year after that? Do we all just sit in our houses, everyone loses their jobs, majority of companies crash out of business? Life as we know it becoming a mere existence. We have to find a way to move forward in all walks of life, we cannot let the whole thing just dictate everything, I'd much rather see a solution and the world moving to finding some sense of normality rather than just doing nothing waiting for some vaccine that may not even come to fruition.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Its football. Cancel this season, get prepared for the next. It's the only sensible solution. No point in trying to twist me wanting a football season to be knocked on the head to me somehow not wanting the world to move forward. Footballs going to come back but isolating players, facemasks, no crowds but still putting hundreds of media etc at risk under the guise of maintaing sporting integrity is just daft. Especially in the time frame they want.

Only reason anyone is even talking about it is money.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:40 pm

Inclined to agree with Blue & Maroon: the proposition is just not worth it. I can’t see society being in a suitable position until at least 6 months time. Voiding the season seems most logical given the circumstances, and I actually think no champions/ promotions/relegations also seems fairest.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:07 pm

I think the season will be completed, but surely there must be some regulations that clubs signed up to that say “in the event of the season being suspended / nullified” then X/Y/Z will happen? As unlikely as this circumstance is, some legal or contract nerd at the FA would have put it in a document somewhere and there must be agreements that all clubs have to sign up to in order to participate in the league?

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:07 pm
I think the season will be completed, but surely there must be some regulations that clubs signed up to that say “in the event of the season being suspended / nullified” then X/Y/Z will happen? As unlikely as this circumstance is, some legal or contract nerd at the FA would have put it in a document somewhere and there must be agreements that all clubs have to sign up to in order to participate in the league?
Seems odd that no contingency has even been mentioned as written into the contracts. Suppose there is no precedent for it at all really though, not since the war.

Scalabrine
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Scalabrine » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 am
Looks like a return is more than likely going ahead, like i said on the other thread, can see this being on the pitch too

First match for Allan Saint-Maximin... HOWAY!

<dotheameobi>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm
Its football. Cancel this season, get prepared for the next. It's the only sensible solution. No point in trying to twist me wanting a football season to be knocked on the head to me somehow not wanting the world to move forward. Footballs going to come back but isolating players, facemasks, no crowds but still putting hundreds of media etc at risk under the guise of maintaing sporting integrity is just daft. Especially in the time frame they want.

See I can't fathom this coming from football supporters, if there's no sporting integrity what's the point of the whole thing? Voiding the season means what, I've essentially paid to see 15 friendlies this year to no consequence? It's not even as if we've got nothing to play for, we're deeper into the cup that we have been in a decade and my tickets are on my kitchen windowsill. One of my local sides is one of the signatories on the letter to the FA about the lower leagues being cancelled, they were winning the league at a canter with a handful of games left, it's far from a "only Liverpool fans don't want it" situation.

Even from a practical perspective, if you do take the view that football in front of fans won't happen this calendar year why void this season? You'd then have to cram in a season between January and May ahead of the Euros.

I'm sure financially and contractually it's a nightmare, but from a sporting fairness perspective you can't just say ignore the last 8 months and start again from scratch. Start when it's safe of course, but end this season properly.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 01, 2020 10:12 am

It is only a game at the end of the day...

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Fri May 01, 2020 10:16 am

I think we won't be able to play games much into next season as well, even behind closed doors. NHS expecting a second wave of infections in winter too. So hard to see 2020/2021 full season.
So given the reduced capacity for games, finish this season over the next 12 months. I'm not sure we can fit much more in anyway.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 am

The other issue is European competitions. Different countries across Europe will get new or second waves (or third waves) at different times so how do you plan around that? If Spain has a second wave in September does that mean no CL or EL fixtures against Spanish sides can take place? It's going to get so messy.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Fri May 01, 2020 10:36 am

Colly wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 am
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm

See I can't fathom this coming from football supporters, if there's no sporting integrity what's the point of the whole thing? Voiding the season means what, I've essentially paid to see 15 friendlies this year to no consequence? It's not even as if we've got nothing to play for, we're deeper into the cup that we have been in a decade and my tickets are on my kitchen windowsill. One of my local sides is one of the signatories on the letter to the FA about the lower leagues being cancelled, they were winning the league at a canter with a handful of games left, it's far from a "only Liverpool fans don't want it" situation.

Even from a practical perspective, if you do take the view that football in front of fans won't happen this calendar year why void this season? You'd then have to cram in a season between January and May ahead of the Euros.

I'm sure financially and contractually it's a nightmare, but from a sporting fairness perspective you can't just say ignore the last 8 months and start again from scratch. Start when it's safe of course, but end this season properly.
To be honest my main issue isn't ending the season it's the f***ing mad rush they have to do it. As you say needs to be continued when it's safe to do so and also in my opinion when ridiculous but nessacery precautions like players self isolating and wearing masks etc aren't needed.

My other issue is that they arent trying to end it to maintain sporting integrity or for the fans it's so they can fulfil contractual obligations. Which is just mad.