Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:21 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Agreed. I imagine he's asked for some kind of certainty regarding role and playing time, which he hasn't even had under Bruce. So why should he settle for lower wages somewhere where his career might even stagnate and cost him having a meaningful career in a top league? Don't get me wrong, it'd be a shame losing a promising local player, but I'll hardly blame him should he pursue an opportunity elsewhere, and it's also possible the club can't or shouldn't provide what he'd want to stay.
Whilst I agree, do we really think that a Serie A club would guarantee and English rookie with 7 senior appearances to his name significant playing time in a completely new league and country? I can hardly see it being written into his contract.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 6330
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Colly » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 pm

It won't be written into his contract, but given we've already said he'd be one of their highest paid players you wouldn't think it would be to benchwarm.

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by TJR » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 pm

The standard in Serie A must be pretty bad if he warrants being a teams top earner.

The 20k per week we've reportedly offered him seems about right. He's not ready yet to be a regular starter in the Premier League for us. He could probably do with a loan move to the Championship to get a full season under his belt before coming back to challenge for a regular place.

I certainly wouldn't be offering him much more than that. It would be nice to keep him around to try and develop him into a good Premier League player but he's nowhere near the finished product and we shouldn't just throw money at him.

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 8350
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Toondes » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:04 am

TJR wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 pm
The standard in Serie A must be pretty bad if he warrants being a teams top earner.

The 20k per week we've reportedly offered him seems about right. He's not ready yet to be a regular starter in the Premier League for us. He could probably do with a loan move to the Championship to get a full season under his belt before coming back to challenge for a regular place.

I certainly wouldn't be offering him much more than that. It would be nice to keep him around to try and develop him into a good Premier League player but he's nowhere near the finished product and we shouldn't just throw money at him.
Exactly this. He literally can’t even break into our team that’s why I find the money being offered crazy. By all account he won’t be staying in Italy , he will be getting an immediate season long loan back to Watford as their chairman owns both clubs. They have to pay less compo if he goes to Italy first rather than Watford signing him permanently
# stolen from nufc.com :)

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10046
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:21 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Agreed. I imagine he's asked for some kind of certainty regarding role and playing time, which he hasn't even had under Bruce. So why should he settle for lower wages somewhere where his career might even stagnate and cost him having a meaningful career in a top league? Don't get me wrong, it'd be a shame losing a promising local player, but I'll hardly blame him should he pursue an opportunity elsewhere, and it's also possible the club can't or shouldn't provide what he'd want to stay.
Whilst I agree, do we really think that a Serie A club would guarantee and English rookie with 7 senior appearances to his name significant playing time in a completely new league and country? I can hardly see it being written into his contract.
Well no, and that's why I've expressed doubt that he ends up there. But I do think role and playing time must be weighing into his decision - presuming he has as many options as has been touted.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:30 pm

The whole Watford possibility via Udinese seems more plausible to me, though if that did happen then surely it's a loophole that would need closed as essentially a way of some clubs being able to reduce the amount of compensation that they may have to pay.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10046
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:30 pm
The whole Watford possibility via Udinese seems more plausible to me, though if that did happen then surely it's a loophole that would need closed as essentially a way of some clubs being able to reduce the amount of compensation that they may have to pay.
We say that now until KSA and PIF buy up their network of clubs around the world as has been suggested.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:30 pm
The whole Watford possibility via Udinese seems more plausible to me, though if that did happen then surely it's a loophole that would need closed as essentially a way of some clubs being able to reduce the amount of compensation that they may have to pay.
We say that now until KSA and PIF buy up their network of clubs around the world as has been suggested.
Nah, we’ll be so rich that it won’t matter to us <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic
Posts: 10046
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:22 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 pm

We say that now until KSA and PIF buy up their network of clubs around the world as has been suggested.
Nah, we’ll be so rich that it won’t matter to us <roll>
Exactly, ownership will be doing similarly sketchy things to loan players from our feeder clubs in Italy and Australia to us <laugh>

User avatar
Cal
10 Champs Bronze
10 Champs Bronze
Posts: 21444
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Cal » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:27 am

Bruce's latest comments:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... d-18492164
"It’s the same as we are.

"Now, the ball is certainly in young Matty’s hands.

"I’ve gone public with it – I think we’ve made him a wonderful offer, and for me, that should be his way forward in his career.

“I’ve said it many times that being a Newcastle lad, and having had the season he’s just had, now it’s his way forward.

"Of course, we would all love him to stay, but as young as he is, the players now, it’s their prerogative if they want to run down their contract, then there’s nothing much more we can do as a club.

"We’ve done everything we possibly can, the rest is now up to Matty, for him to decide."
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/fo ... ed-2896567
“I won’t let [Matty's contract situation] influence my decision.

“I’ll pick Matty if he’s right, but of course he has to prove his fitness. Unfortunately, he’s had this thigh strain, which we now hope is OK. The rest is up to Matty.

“He’s now got to decide where he wants to play his football, basically. The club could not have done any more. We’ve offered him what I see as a very, very good contract.

“The rest is up to the young boy now, and where he sees his way through. That’s what we should be focusing on. Where can he best keep his career on the right road, and I think the answer to that is here.

“He’s a local boy in Newcastle. I can’t understand why he would think about moving away, but that’s the boy’s prerogative.”

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by TJR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:12 am

I agree with Bruce. The best move for his career is staying here. We've offered him and extremely good contract (better than what he's worth in my opinion).

If he isn't interested in his long term development and just wants to chase the money then I wouldn't want him anyway.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21011
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by ALF » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am

Dirty tactics from Bruce and the club. Played it out in public so if anything doesn't happen it sounds like it's down to Longstaff and nobody else.

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Chump
10 Champs Chump
Posts: 11629
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by TJR » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 am

ALF wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am
Dirty tactics from Bruce and the club. Played it out in public so if anything doesn't happen it sounds like it's down to Longstaff and nobody else.
It is down to Longstaff and nobody else.

The club have made him a very good offer, it's down to him to accept it or walk away.

He's 20 and has only made 6 Premier League appearances. He's not good enough for regular first team football let and could do with a year out on loan at a Championship club.

Despite that the club have still made him a very good offer of £20k per week reaching £30k per week if he plays. Salary wise that brings him inline with Darlow/Yedlin/Atsu which is very fair considering it is still in the balance as to if he'll actually develop into a good enough player.

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 21011
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by ALF » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:28 am

TJR wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 am
ALF wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am
Dirty tactics from Bruce and the club. Played it out in public so if anything doesn't happen it sounds like it's down to Longstaff and nobody else.
It is down to Longstaff and nobody else.

The club have made him a very good offer, it's down to him to accept it or walk away.

He's 20 and has only made 6 Premier League appearances. He's not good enough for regular first team football let and could do with a year out on loan at a Championship club.

Despite that the club have still made him a very good offer of £20k per week reaching £30k per week if he plays. Salary wise that brings him inline with Darlow/Yedlin/Atsu which is very fair considering it is still in the balance as to if he'll actually develop into a good enough player.
The club say they have made him a very good offer and the numbers are pure speculation. But maybe he's now 20 and wants to play football regularly? Maybe he wants to play for an ambitious club? Maybe the offer isn't as good as Steve Bruce is claiming? The truth is we know very little about any of it. All we know is there's clearly a reason he's not signed at the moment.

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32 am

TJR wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 am
ALF wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 am
Dirty tactics from Bruce and the club. Played it out in public so if anything doesn't happen it sounds like it's down to Longstaff and nobody else.
It is down to Longstaff and nobody else.

The club have made him a very good offer, it's down to him to accept it or walk away.

He's 20 and has only made 6 Premier League appearances. He's not good enough for regular first team football let and could do with a year out on loan at a Championship club.

Despite that the club have still made him a very good offer of £20k per week reaching £30k per week if he plays. Salary wise that brings him inline with Darlow/Yedlin/Atsu which is very fair considering it is still in the balance as to if he'll actually develop into a good enough player.
This. I’m not one to moan about a player leaving for more money but if he leaves it’s on him (and will likely be due to money). I think he’ll stay though.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 pm

Yeah I think he’ll ultimately stay, but if not the offer is more than fair. You always have to wonder what agents are saying though as they’re the scourge of the game and trying to hoover up as much money as they can for doing very little under the guise of having the best interest of their player at heart...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9761
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Bit late on the discussion, but I always find the wage increase comparison between players and your average joe a bit ridiculous. Of course your normal worker is going to go for a higher paid job because in most circumstances it will drastically improve your quality of life. If you are earning 20k per week you never have to worry about money ever again so the situation is completely different and that's where greed comes into it. I don't have any sympathy with anyone who has to wait 2 years to become a millionaire instead of 1.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Yeah If he goes elsewhere good luck to him, but I won’t be losing any sleep over it.

I want him to stay but he’s not done / shown enough to warrant more than he’s been offered by us (supposedly).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3598
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:43 pm
Bit late on the discussion, but I always find the wage increase comparison between players and your average joe a bit ridiculous. Of course your normal worker is going to go for a higher paid job because in most circumstances it will drastically improve your quality of life. If you are earning 20k per week you never have to worry about money ever again so the situation is completely different and that's where greed comes into it. I don't have any sympathy with anyone who has to wait 2 years to become a millionaire instead of 1.
Just to clarify, where does the greed line start in your opinion? At 5k per week? 10k?

It’s not immoral to take a contract that pays 50% more than another one offered. That’s completely normal and sensible, not some greedy manoeuvre.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 28601
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Matty Longstaff's contract conundrum

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:03 pm

For me I’m not saying he’s being greedy, just that we’ve made a seemingly very fair offer and if he doesn’t want it then goodbye.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Post Reply