Post by beatski » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:39 pm

Man U just scored a decent goal then <yikes>

[Rio rubs hands]

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: FOOTBALL FOR THE WEEK AHEAD

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Different team since Fernandes joined, Pogba looks happy. Pace and excitement in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. Nice to see Brighton getting spanked.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 pm

West Ham harshly have a goal chalked off then concede a penalty <laugh>

Couldn’t happen to a nicer club.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:51 pm

2-2 now, good game.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 pm

3-2 now, great goal from Yarmalenko!

Toon Ireland
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Toon Ireland » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 pm

Top 4 wide open again after Chelsea and Leicester both losing

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 am

Toon Ireland wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 pm
Top 4 wide open again after Chelsea and Leicester both losing
I was saying this to my mates last night. I think it's between Chelsea, Leicester, Wolves and Man Utd. I think the current top 6 will stay as it is now. Arsenal are 6 points behind Wolves and I don't think they'll catch them. It's insane that we're only 4 points behind Arsenal <yikes>
Kindly deeds done for free!

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am

It's crazy to think we're 10 points off 5th (which is currently a Champions League place unless Man City win their appeal) and 15 points off relegation. We're one win off 8th and only 4 points from 7th (which will probably be a Europa League place this season).

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am

Isn't 8th going to be a Europa spot too thanks to naughty Man City?

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:17 am

Imagine if the takeover goes through and we end up finishing in a Europa League spot <yikes>

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am
Isn't 8th going to be a Europa spot too thanks to naughty Man City?
I'm not entirely sure but I think it depends on who wins the FA Cup and where they finish in the league.

Though I'd be surprised if Man City, Man Utd & Chelsea don't finish top 7. So as long as Arsenal don't win the FA Cup then 8th should also be a Europa League spot.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:52 am

I had to look it up and found a Sky article about it:
In a regular season, the top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the group stages of the Champions League. Those days of Champions League qualifiers for finishing third and fourth have gone.

Next season is set to look very different, however.

With City set to be absent from European competition for the next two seasons, pending City's appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, finishing fifth could be enough to secure a place in the Champions League next season, given Guardiola's side are almost certain to finish in the top four.

Winning the Champions League or Europa League also guarantees a place in the group stages, with Liverpool and Chelsea having done so last season. Despite mixed results in the first legs of their knockout ties, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United and Wolves are still in the hunt in those competitions.

There are three ways to qualify for the Europa League:

Finish fifth (or sixth if City's ban is upheld) - qualify for the Europa League group stage

Win the FA Cup - qualify for the Europa League group stage

Win the Carabao Cup - qualify for the Europa League second qualifying round

If the winners of the FA Cup and Carabao Cup finish fifth or higher in the Premier League, their Europa League spots go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

For example, last season, Manchester City won both cups and the Premier League. Therefore, their spot in the group stage from the FA Cup victory was given to Manchester United - who finished in sixth - and seventh place Wolves entered into the second qualifying round.

Manchester City's Carabao Cup win this term is good news for the European-football chasers. Because they're set to finish in the top five, their place in the second qualifying round of the Europa League transfers to the next highest-placed side. If City's appeal is successful this would be sixth but if not it will be the side that finishes seventh in 2019/20.

The FA Cup resumes this week - and fans of European hopefuls should follow the action there closely, too.

Should City or a team in the top five also win the FA Cup, and City's ban is upheld, the Europa League second round qualifying spot will drop to the team who finishes eighth - with the sixth placed team taking the second available group stage place.
However if the winners of Europa League and Champions League are both English and finish outside the top 4 (unlikely), then 4th place (or 5th depending on City's appeal) in the PL would become a Europa League place.

Kindly deeds done for free!