Match day - Man City v Newcastle United

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Re: Match day - Man City v Newcastle United

Post by UlversToon » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 am
That league record at the Ethiad is bloody depressing.
Even more depressing now!

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am
We better not set up to defend again
<grin>
Against City? I think ultra defensive is probably the best tactic going and then reassess if it looks like they're having an off day. We were unbelievably s**** against them in the FA Cup, but we only lost 2-0. If we try and attack them and they're having a good day, they'll put 6 past us without any difficulty at all. It's an absolutely nothing game for us (in the sense that we will get nothing) so I'd really rather lose 2-0 than 6-0. Goal difference might help us this season.
Well I didn't end up watching and not sure how we played but I saw the result. My point was we are safe so at least have a go and you never know, we could do a Southampton

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm

I expected a spanking but It was the manner it came. Their attitudes were piss poor, the individual player negativity far exceeded the negativity of the tactics. We set up to counter then defended possession on our own 16yd box. It was completely ridiculous, there was literally no intent to attack. At one point we worked it well on the wing, we had 2 or three run into the box and I think it was yedlin, literally just stood with the ball at his feet for a couple of seconds and just played the ball back, zero intent to put the ball in the box, that pretty much summed up the whole performance.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:26 am

I'm not really bothered by the result. I expect, with the squad they have, for them to absolutely batter us from start to finish. The lack of passing ability was evident again though and that is frustrating. Against Bournemouth our passing was fantastic, but they struggled with even the simplest of passes last night. It's strange to watch.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:57 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:26 am
I'm not really bothered by the result. I expect, with the squad they have, for them to absolutely batter us from start to finish. The lack of passing ability was evident again though and that is frustrating. Against Bournemouth our passing was fantastic, but they struggled with even the simplest of passes last night. It's strange to watch.
I hope the players don’t share that attitude , although watching that’s shitshow last night they clearly do .Anyone can beat anyone in football but we had no desire at all. Pathetic.
They obviously don’t give a s*** now that relegation has been avoided. What an achievement .
# stolen from nufc.com :)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:16 am

People can question the tactics, but at the end of the day tactics aside, pretty much every player on the pitch couldn't make a simple 10 yards pass to a teammate.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 am

You know what, loved the man when he was here, but I'm really beginning to resent Rafa for how he manipulated our fanbase. I know the d******** will be d******** but I feel the current state of the fanbase is the most toxic it has ever been under the Ashley era and the vast majority seem to be in the cult of Rafa.

The FACT, we are having an equal if not better season then Rafa ever had, yet Bruce and the team are being slaughtered the way they have is an absolute disgrace and our fans doing it should be ashamed of themselves, because when it was Rafa doing this to a LOWER standard, he was lauded a genius, and as the only manager capable, remember people even claiming "Pep couldn't achieve this". <laugh>

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:22 am

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 am
You know what, loved the man when he was here, but I'm really beginning to resent Rafa for how he manipulated our fanbase. I know the d******** will be d******** but I feel the current state of the fanbase is the most toxic it has ever been under the Ashley era and the vast majority seem to be in the cult of Rafa.

The FACT, we are having an equal if not better season then Rafa ever had, yet Bruce and the team are being slaughtered the way they have is an absolute disgrace and our fans doing it should be ashamed of themselves, because when it was Rafa doing this to a LOWER standard, he was lauded a genius, and as the only manager capable, remember people even claiming "Pep couldn't achieve this". <laugh>
Erm I think you’ll find most on here slaughtered Rafa for s*** tactics as well. I know I did. It’s all irrelevant anyway, this has f*** all to do with Rafa. Bruce’s tactics against Man City (x2) were shambolic. This is on him and the players only.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am

Toondes wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:57 am
biggeordiedave wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:26 am
I hope the players don’t share that attitude , although watching that’s shitshow last night they clearly do .Anyone can beat anyone in football but we had no desire at all. Pathetic.
They obviously don’t give a s*** now that relegation has been avoided. What an achievement .
I hope they don't either, but then I would expect players who are paid huge amounts of money to care more about the results than I do <laugh>. There is something at stake here for them, there is absolutely nothing at stake for me!
Kindly deeds done for free!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:11 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 am

Dunno about that like, the atmosphere surrounding the club has been toxic for most of if not all of the Ashley era, but I think it was worse under Pardew & McClaren than it is now.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm

I'd agree with that. It's okay at the moment I think other than takeover frustration but that's nothing compared to the latter days under Pardew etc.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:16 pm

Catching up with game this morning, Shearers assessment 100% like the players went into the game thinking look we aren't going to win this one so no need to bother.

I still think the disdain and anger on twitter though is OTT. You'd think we were beaten 5-0 by a school boy team not a team full of attacking players who most likely would all be in discussion for a place in a World XI in some shape of form.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Yeah, it's hardly an embarrassment that will live long in the memory of football fans (e.g. Southampton 0-9 Leicester). Man C probably get a 4 or 5-0 win every few games, it's entirely normal. They beat Liverpool (granted they were hungover) 4-0 in their last home game.

My advice to anyone is to unfollow all NUFC related accounts on Twitter, I did it a few weeks ago due to all the takeover moaning and it has made my life far better!

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Yeah, it's hardly an embarrassment that will live long in the memory of football fans (e.g. Southampton 0-9 Leicester). Man C probably get a 4 or 5-0 win every few games, it's entirely normal. They beat Liverpool (granted they were hungover) 4-0 in their last home game.

My advice to anyone is to unfollow all NUFC related accounts on Twitter, I did it a few weeks ago due to all the takeover moaning and it has made my life far better!
100% City have won 8 games this season by 4 goals or more. They are capable of doing that to any team on a good day. Funny thing is you look at the last 4 PL games against City we played the exact same system and the stats in terms of possession and chances are almost the same.

The whole argument too of the completed passing percentage I'd imagine majority of the completed passes weren't cross field wonder passes, they'd most likely be passes of a yard.

In terms of the nufc twitter accounts I actually find them funny tbh, as they're usually the same folks who give out when people call Newcastle fans deluded yet there they are thinking we should be playing Man City off the park.
I'll Hazard a guess

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:19 pm

100% City have won 8 games this season by 4 goals or more. They are capable of doing that to any team on a good day. Funny thing is you look at the last 4 PL games against City we played the exact same system and the stats in terms of possession and chances are almost the same.

The whole argument too of the completed passing percentage I'd imagine majority of the completed passes weren't cross field wonder passes, they'd most likely be passes of a yard.

In terms of the nufc twitter accounts I actually find them funny tbh, as they're usually the same folks who give out when people call Newcastle fans deluded yet there they are thinking we should be playing Man City off the park.
The thing that’s is pissing people off is that most teams who get drubbed will probably try and attack at some point. We mustered one attempt on target - from a defender. It’s pathetic . Yes they are world class ect but to not even have any desire at all to try and attack and put them under pressure is appalling. It’s not like city we’re at their best either .

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:48 pm

I'm pissed off that Foden missed two sitters as he's in my fantasy team.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:45 pm

Toondes wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 pm

The thing that’s is pissing people off is that most teams who get drubbed will probably try and attack at some point. We mustered one attempt on target - from a defender. It’s pathetic . Yes they are world class ect but to not even have any desire at all to try and attack and put them under pressure is appalling. It’s not like city we’re at their best either .
For what it's worth, they've beaten 2 other teams since June 17th in which they didn't concede a single shot on target (Arsenal and Burnley). So we're not alone in getting beaten that way. Was still horrible to watch though (I went back to my desk to keep working at halftime).