NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2020)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2020)

Post by ALF » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 am
Look at HBAvs career after us. In spurts when he could be bothered was great, but also fell out with every club. Never wanted to help the team's tactics, only about him. Poor teams cant afford to carry a player. I wish he could have knuckled down somewhere....
Never fell out with Nice or Rennes. Not sure he fell out with Valladolid either, it just didn't work out.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 pm

ALF wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm
Look at HBAvs career after us. In spurts when he could be bothered was great, but also fell out with every club. Never wanted to help the team's tactics, only about him. Poor teams cant afford to carry a player. I wish he could have knuckled down somewhere....
Never fell out with Nice or Rennes. Not sure he fell out with Valladolid either, it just didn't work out.
But he fell out with people at Clairefontaine, Lyon, Marseille, Newcastle, Hull and PSG. He left Rennes because he "didn't like their style of football." He started off on a bad note at Valladolid because he refused to head the ball during his unveiling because he didn't want to mess up his hair which drew some criticism too. Minor stuff at Rennes and Valladolid, but it just shows his attitude. He comes across as a complete wanker and he can't be a good person to have around regardless of what he does on the pitch every now and again.
Kindly deeds done for free!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 pm
ALF wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:42 pm

But he fell out with people at Clairefontaine, Lyon, Marseille, Newcastle, Hull and PSG. He left Rennes because he "didn't like their style of football." He started off on a bad note at Valladolid because he refused to head the ball during his unveiling because he didn't want to mess up his hair which drew some criticism too. Minor stuff at Rennes and Valladolid, but it just shows his attitude. He comes across as a complete wanker and he can't be a good person to have around regardless of what he does on the pitch every now and again.
Leaving somewhere when you're out of contract because you don't like the style of play is pretty normal. He still played 120 minutes and scored in the penalty shoot out for them to win the French Cup against PSG.

The Valladolid thing is petty but he's probably not the first and he won't be the last player to refuse to do something at an unveiling. They're ridiculous more often than not.

Since leaving us he's really not been too much of a disruption for anyone other than PSG and that was a 2 way thing. When things are going well he seems like a great person to have around a club but yeah he can be petulant and disruptive when things go badly.

No doubt that he's wasted what could have been an elite career but at this point I think he doesn't need to play football and just wants to enjoy it.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:32 am

I'll never defend all of the conflict he's had in his career, but we haven't come close to winning a cup, we've generally played drab and boring football for over a decade, full of uninteresting players playing conservative tactics - so sure, HBA didn't deliver as often as we'd maybe have wanted, but at least he delivered several really memorable goals - which is more than most recent players have offered.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:44 am

I think to remember him as a player who scored a couple of great goals is a perfectly good way to do it, I basically only remember Pancrate for that goal against Watford and the time we played him as the worlds most rapid full back. Nb: I'm not comparing Ben Arfa to Pancrate...

The thing many people forget though is that he was around in our best season of the last decade, where we inexplicably had a load of very inspiring players (the Cabaye/Tiote midfield, Ba and Cisse, Colo), and he started fewer games than Gabriel Obertan. It's the season that included the Blackburn and Bolton goals, but still.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 am

I remember the good goals being:

Away against Everton - long range on his debut
Home against Blackburn in the cup
Home against Bolton
Home against Villa - cut inside and fired it into the top corner
Away against Fulham - I can remember there was some sort of weird dip with this shot, fairly sure we got trounced 5-2 or something.

Which ones are the other worldies? For people to remember him as fondly he must have scored more than 5 decent goals... I remember there being a few penalties.

Edit: Also at home against Fulham
Kindly deeds done for free!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:38 am

I went to the Everton game <awe>

De Jong broke his leg a game or two later <urgh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:43 am

Colly wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:44 am
I think to remember him as a player who scored a couple of great goals is a perfectly good way to do it, I basically only remember Pancrate for that goal against Watford and the time we played him as the worlds most rapid full back. Nb: I'm not comparing Ben Arfa to Pancrate...

The thing many people forget though is that he was around in our best season of the last decade, where we inexplicably had a load of very inspiring players (the Cabaye/Tiote midfield, Ba and Cisse, Colo), and he started fewer games than Gabriel Obertan. It's the season that included the Blackburn and Bolton goals, but still.
Wow that is something.

Yeah if you want to remember him for his great goals fair enough. I remember him with "what could have been if he'd knuckled down".
I enjoyed him at Newcastle, but I don't buy into this narrative that nufc let him down and letting him leave was a travesty.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am

Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:43 am
Colly wrote:

Wow that is something.

Yeah if you want to remember him for his great goals fair enough. I remember him with "what could have been if he'd knuckled down".
I enjoyed him at Newcastle, but I don't buy into this narrative that nufc let him down and letting him leave was a travesty.
Obertan was Pardew’s signing to be fair, and HBA was brilliant in the second half of the season.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:25 pm

jpg wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am

Wow that is something.

Obertan was Pardew’s signing to be fair, and HBA was brilliant in the second half of the season.
I remember that alien head. <love>

Was never a world beater.. but he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. His pace was electric at times but his end product was terrible.. 3 goals in 76 apps says it all and I'm sure he didn't assist more than 5 times. <gent> <scratch>

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:25 pm
jpg wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am

Was never a world beater.. but he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. His pace was electric at times but his end product was terrible.. 3 goals in 76 apps says it all and I'm sure he didn't assist more than 5 times. <gent> <scratch>
He was as bad as people made out to be - absolutely shocking <laugh>

He was basically an athlete, not a footballer.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Colly wrote:

20-19 to HBA in all comps <whistle>

I've just looked back at that season and it's surprising just how much we relied on our squad. Our team wasn't close to settled, only Krul, Premier League winner Danny Simpson, Colo, Cabaye, Jonas and Ba played over 30 times and Ba and Jonas played about 10 out of position each.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:36 pm
Colly wrote:

I've just looked back at that season and it's surprising just how much we relied on our squad. Our team wasn't close to settled, only Krul, Premier League winner Danny Simpson, Colo, Cabaye, Jonas and Ba played over 30 times and Ba and Jonas played about 10 out of position each.
Is that his sunday name? <laugh>
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:39 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:25 pm

He was as bad as people made out to be - absolutely shocking <laugh>

He was basically an athlete, not a footballer.
Which game was it when he made an outstanding run on goal then somehow tackled himself on the way into the penalty area? Should have been given a red card for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:17 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:36 pm
Colly wrote:

Flat track bully in the league cup...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Colly wrote:

Wow that is something.

Admittedly I'd forgotten the narratives surrounding his leaving - though in hindsight I was probably one of the people complaining at the time. I think the management of him was messy, and he didn't help matters. He certainly has never been an easy player to coach, and our manager and coaching staff lacked maturity in their own ways, so it was only a matter of time until it went sour. But damn if that wasn't the last relatively exciting side we had, and he contributed to that (when healthy).

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm

The 2011-2012 season was a classic for us. Fighting to get into the top four but ending 5th. The goals of Cisse, the all-round play of Ba, The magic & unpredictability of Ben Arfa, Tiote was like Kante but better <love> , Cabaye's creativity & the rock solid Colo. Shout outs to the unsung heroes who also played a big part in that season such as Santon, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson, Leon Best (especially in the first few months of the season his partnership with Ba was underrated), Ameobi (didn't score much but his strong hold-up play helped us from the bench), Guthrie who was dependable when called upon with his passing range & technique, Mr. Utility Man Perchino <love> & The hard-working spiderrrmannn Gutierrez!

What a terrific season we had. Wish we could go back to those days.. <awe> <urgh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm
The 2011-2012 season was a classic for us. Fighting to get into the top four but ending 5th. The goals of Cisse, the all-round play of Ba, The magic & unpredictability of Ben Arfa, Tiote was like Kante but better <love> , Cabaye's creativity & the rock solid Colo. Shout outs to the unsung heroes who also played a big part in that season such as Santon, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Mike Williamson, Leon Best (especially in the first few months of the season his partnership with Ba was underrated), Ameobi (didn't score much but his strong hold-up play helped us from the bench), Guthrie who was dependable when called upon with his passing range & technique, Mr. Utility Man Perchino <love> & The hard-working spiderrrmannn Gutierrez!

What a terrific season we had. Wish we could go back to those days.. <awe> <urgh>
Those kits as well <awe>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:06 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Those kits as well <awe>
I was really close to buying an orange Cabaye kit from that season the other day, but with shipping it was just a wee bit too much to justify given how many of our shirts I already have.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:58 am
Talking of young defenders, someone I'd take is Axel Tuanzebe from Man U. Young defender, quick, preferred position is CB but can also play at RB.

Impressed on loan at Villa in 18/19 and not getting a look-in at Man U.

But we're not doing any business today...
Based on last nights Man U v PSG game it seems I’m not a bad scout <roll>