NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2020)

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2020)

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 am

The only positive argument people tended to have for him was "he might not do much, but there might be a moment of magic so you have to keep playing him". It's exactly the same argument people make about Shelvey, and while as I said last week you can excuse it more in a winger than a CM there's only so many times you can wait for that moment of magic that doesn't come before it gets silly. As a season ticket holder I watched him lazily do nothing for far too long to hold him up as the Che Guevara character held back by Pardew that some idiots saw him as.

Blue & Maroon
Final Nail
Final Nail

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 am
The only positive argument people tended to have for him was "he might not do much, but there might be a moment of magic so you have to keep playing him". It's exactly the same argument people make about Shelvey, and while as I said last week you can excuse it more in a winger than a CM there's only so many times you can wait for that moment of magic that doesn't come before it gets silly. As a season ticket holder I watched him lazily do nothing for far too long to hold him up as the Che Guevara character held back by Pardew that some idiots saw him as.
If he was magic all the time he wouldn't have been playing for us. Pretty much everyone who plays for us has something missing, he was no different but people will only remember the moments of magic.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am

Sadly a lot of us remember the hours of s**** too.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:25 am

Domestic window is open for a few more days so could potentially sign someone from the Championship (West Ham have had a £13m bid for Josh King turned down).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

CIH
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by CIH » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:53 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 am
ALF wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:34 pm
Crazy how many people don't realise how good HBA was for us.
Yes. But its also crazy people dont remember how bad he also was for us. Not at all consistent

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:21 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm
ALF wrote:
He was an exciting 7-9 goal a season (if he ever played a full season, he didn't) winger. Which is what an attacking winger should be doing. Then he turned into a fat lazy doughnut who went to Hull and then did really well at Nice when he could be arsed then got a big fat contract at PSG and has done f*** all since.
His highest goalscoring season for us was 6 in all competitions (his first season) followed by a 4 and then a 3, although he was injured for a period of course. He was never a 7-9 player.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Blue & Maroon
Final Nail
Final Nail

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:42 am

biggeordiedave wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:21 am
Blue & Maroon wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:50 pm

He was an exciting 7-9 goal a season (if he ever played a full season, he didn't) winger. Which is what an attacking winger should be doing. Then he turned into a fat lazy doughnut who went to Hull and then did really well at Nice when he could be arsed then got a big fat contract at PSG and has done f*** all since.
His highest goalscoring season for us was 6 in all competitions (his first season) followed by a 4 and then a 3, although he was injured for a period of course. He was never a 7-9 player.
If he'd played a whole season he would have probably been but he was made of glass.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:58 pm

ALF wrote:
Yes. But its also crazy people dont remember how bad he also was for us. Not at all consistent
He got a goal/assist every 169 minutes for us in total. Better than a goal contribution every other game.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:25 am
Domestic window is open for a few more days so could potentially sign someone from the Championship (West Ham have had a £13m bid for Josh King turned down).
I'll take Josh King.. reunited with his old pals Fraser & Callum <love>

He's decent too and gives us strength in depth.. can play upfront & out-wide. I'll take Will Hughes from Watford he's a gifted box-to-box technically gifted CM. Saido Behrami from Brentford would be brilliant but way, way beyond our budget, so no chance there. Him & ASM on the wings <awe>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 pm

ALF wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:58 pm

He got a goal/assist every 169 minutes for us in total. Better than a goal contribution every other game.
I never understand how some midfielders we've had (like HBA or Gini) take stick for their goalscoring record, while we've had a raft of seasons in the past decade where our strikers didn't even score in double digits (Christ, Jonjo f***ing Shelvey was our leading goalscorer last season).

I'll take an inconsistent player with moments of magic and entertainment than the consistently mediocre and skill-less dross we've been generally been subjected to. People complain about boring, unentertaining football and then also complain than an attacking midfielder who scored some worldies didn't defend enough.

Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 pm
ALF wrote:

I never understand how some midfielders we've had (like HBA or Gini) take stick for their goalscoring record, while we've had a raft of seasons in the past decade where our strikers didn't even score in double digits (Christ, Jonjo f***ing Shelvey was our leading goalscorer last season).

I'll take an inconsistent player with moments of magic and entertainment than the consistently mediocre and skill-less dross we've been generally been subjected to. People complain about boring, unentertaining football and then also complain than an attacking midfielder who scored some worldies didn't defend enough.
Didn't try to defend enough is more pertinent. Or just didn't try enough overall
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
ALF wrote:

Who gave Gini stick? Didn’t he get 11 goals from midfield in the season we went down (his only season for us)?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

krully
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by krully » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:06 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

Who gave Gini stick? Didn’t he get 11 goals from midfield in the season we went down (his only season for us)?
4 of those were in one game

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 pm

krully wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:11 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:06 pm

I’d say it’s still a decent return from midfield even if you took those out, especially for a first season in the PL in a team that was relegated. Bloody good actually.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:15 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 pm
krully wrote:

I’d say it’s still a decent return from midfield even if you took those out, especially for a first season in the PL in a team that was relegated. Bloody good actually.
Completely agree, he was the lone bright spot that season. But it felt like people just complained he didn't score in away matches (while the rest of his teammates just never scored), and were happy to see the back of him. Maybe wasn't a direct comparison to the criticism HBA received, but I've always felt players that have a lot of talent but can't replicate it consistently enough often receive more criticism than mediocre players that never hint at having more ability.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:06 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 pm
krully wrote:

Especially given he was nominally played completely out of position as a left winger all season. Thankfully he drifted inside to score things like that wonder header.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:48 am

Remember Colo wrote:
ALF wrote:

The problem with HBA is just that. He was capable of brilliance, but more often than not just chose not to do it. He was incredibly lazy but our fans will forgive absolutely anything because he scored a handful of decent goals. You have to look past the player too. He gets himself into bother pretty much everywhere he goes because he has a s*** attitude. There's a reason why we loaned him to Hull in the September and then terminated his contract in the January, and I don't think it will be the club's fault.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Colback's Orange Tufts
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:15 am

Look at HBAvs career after us. In spurts when he could be bothered was great, but also fell out with every club. Never wanted to help the team's tactics, only about him. Poor teams cant afford to carry a player. I wish he could have knuckled down somewhere....
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 am

Poor teams can't carry a player, and good teams don't want to. I think that broadly explains his career path.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am

Won a lot of honours in France, but tbf if I played for Lyon in the early 00s and then PSG I’d probably have picked up a few medals <laugh>