Arctic Monkeys

GirondinGeordie
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Arctic Monkeys

Post by GirondinGeordie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:39 am

I'm a massive Arctic Monkeys fan, what does everyone think of these lads from Sheffield?
If so what're your favourite songs?

1 - When The Sun Goes Down (Obvious, such a great son though)
2 - R U Mine?
3 - Fake Tales Of San Francisco
4 - Teddy Picker
5 - A View From The Afternoon
"La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile" - Philippe Néricault Destouches

Amnesiac
-

Re: Arctic Monkeys

Post by Amnesiac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am

Overrated, living off the success of their first album and nothing spectacular in a musical sense. <gent>

Tindall's Hoody

Post by .,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,,,,,,.. » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 am

Overrated.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Not a fan. Massively overrated imo.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't mind their music but the vocals piss me off. They pretty much started off the whole 'let's sing in a fake cockney accent so people know we're indie' thing.
REQUIEM

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Only recently got into them. When the Sun Goes Down is the best of course, and Brianstorm and Fluoresent Adolescent. As I've only just got into them, I only know like 10 of their songs. I haven't done much research into their music yet.

Minty Fresh
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Minty Fresh » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:14 pm

I think they're decent, but as people have said, overated.

GirondinGeordie
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by GirondinGeordie » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Wrong place to post <doh>
I'll stick to twitter.
"La critique est aisée, mais l'art est difficile" - Philippe Néricault Destouches

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:41 pm

HarisWhoTheVuckicHaris wrote:Wrong place to post <doh>
I'll stick to twitter.
You asked us our opinions though <scratch>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:49 pm

Ramone wrote:I don't mind their music but the vocals piss me off. They pretty much started off the whole 'let's sing in a fake cockney accent so people know we're indie' thing.
You have a bizarre concept of a cockney accent, I can't think of a more Yorkshire sounding band this side of a few Cribs songs. Also, surely Blur started that movement a decade earlier?

Back on topic I love em. Top first album and associated EP, followed by a decent second one but a tad too similar to the first. Go away, come back with a Josh Homme inspired third that isn't as accessible but might actually be my favourite, were it not for the last one which is superb. The fact they can s*** out a knowingly hilarious parody song like Brick by Brick and still have it be better than the legions of horrible 'lad rock' bands like Kasabian, The Enemy or Beady Eye can produce at their best just sums it up for me. Not content to sit on their laurels, constantly changing their sound away from what a lot of popular indie fans might want, but consistently putting out great songs make them by far one of my favourite bands these days.

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Colly wrote:
Ramone wrote:I don't mind their music but the vocals piss me off. They pretty much started off the whole 'let's sing in a fake cockney accent so people know we're indie' thing.
You have a bizarre concept of a cockney accent, I can't think of a more Yorkshire sounding band this side of a few Cribs songs. Also, surely Blur started that movement a decade earlier?

Back on topic I love em. Top first album and associated EP, followed by a decent second one but a tad too similar to the first. Go away, come back with a Josh Homme inspired third that isn't as accessible but might actually be my favourite, were it not for the last one which is superb. The fact they can s*** out a knowingly hilarious parody song like Brick by Brick and still have it be better than the legions of horrible 'lad rock' bands like Kasabian, The Enemy or Beady Eye can produce at their best just sums it up for me. Not content to sit on their laurels, constantly changing their sound away from what a lot of popular indie fans might want, but consistently putting out great songs make them by far one of my favourite bands these days.
2 of the bands you've noted are better than Arctic Monkeys, and im not much a fan of either. Kasabian's sound in fairness is pretty unique and quite good. A few Beady Eye songs I heard were quite good and made a refreshing change from Oasis, and The Enemy just do they're thing simple 3 man indie band. The Arctic Monkeys had it made with the first album and the second was ok but since then they've ran out of ideas and produced two utter s**** albums that people still rave about just because it's Alex Turner. The Last Shadow Puppets were s*** too. You can't get more lad rock than the Arctic Monkeys these days im afriad, wait till anything off first album comes on at an indie night and see the checkered-shirt brigade with chino's and Toms going mental at the chorus.

GirondinGeordie
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by GirondinGeordie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm more of a fan of Kasabian, I'm quited excited to see this more rocky style the arctics are going for. Hopefully their new album will be similar to The Black Keys who are terrific.

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

1- Mardy Bum
2- Fake Tales of San Francisco
3- Certain Romance
4- Dancing Shoes
5- My Propeller

First album is an absolute timeless classic. The rest of their stuff has generally been woefully average imo. Alex Turner loves playing the personna of an ageing "maturing" rocker, who's changing musical direction constantly, but the guy is only 25, it's sad how they've become another band who've sold out to NME and made their edgy, dynamic music so boring!
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Henry Groover wrote:You can't get more lad rock than the Arctic Monkeys these days im afriad, wait till anything off first album comes on at an indie night and see the checkered-shirt brigade with chino's and Toms going mental at the chorus.
This sadly. This new brigade of "alternative" chino wankers are beginning to spoil so many gigs for me! (They already ruined Leeds Festival)
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Their first album is one of my favourite albums ever. They've always tried something new each album which you can't knock a band for a doing. For me I don't really dig either of their last 2 albums, but for one of two songs.

From The Ritz To The Rubble
View From The Afternoon
Leave Before The Lights Come On
Fluorescent Adolescent
Don't Sit Down 'Coz I've Moved Your Chair

GirondinGeordie
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by GirondinGeordie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:16 am

They are also incredible live.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 am

cabluigi wrote:
Henry Groover wrote:You can't get more lad rock than the Arctic Monkeys these days im afriad, wait till anything off first album comes on at an indie night and see the checkered-shirt brigade with chino's and Toms going mental at the chorus.
This sadly. This new brigade of "alternative" chino wankers are beginning to spoil so many gigs for me! (They already ruined Leeds Festival)
I'm a 'chino wanker' yet I think the Arctic Monkeys are good. Not a favourite but I go through spells where I listen to a lot of their music.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 am

Cornerstone
R U Mine?
Piledriver Waltz
From The Ritz To The Rubble
Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend

are my top 5.

Only really got into them the last few months <awe>