The Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: The Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Cal wrote:Decided to delve into Shad's works. When This Is Over is f***ing phenomenal. I need to find somewhere in the UK that sells this, initial search isn't going well and his own site doesn't have it...

Only listened to the other two once each so far, and not properly since headphones were off while I waited for a delivery.

Not keen on the change in sound or increased references to God/Jesus (even though I found Question Marks interesting) in The Old Prince and TSOL now that I've given them another listen.
Glad to hear I've made him a new fan! If it's just a case of getting a digital copy, I could probably find a way to get it to you, e.g. email. I bought the CD at a show like 7 years ago, and really have never saw it in stores.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Something just feels wrong about purchasing digital only music. Even though a CD is essentially the same just delivered on a disc there's a sense of permanence and ownership that I want, and you can't put an .MP3 on a shelf. Amazon have the digital download for $9. The CD seems to be a rarity and goes for $30 used and I can't find any new. The other 2 are easy to find here or on his site.

EDIT: Found it through a Japanese seller that delivers to Europa on Amazon.ca for about $42CDN/£25...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Cal wrote:Something just feels wrong about purchasing digital only music. Even though a CD is essentially the same just delivered on a disc there's a sense of permanence and ownership that I want, and you can't put an .MP3 on a shelf. Amazon have the digital download for $9. The CD seems to be a rarity and goes for $30 used and I can't find any new. The other 2 are easy to find here or on his site.

EDIT: Found it through a Japanese seller that delivers to Europa on Amazon.ca for about $42CDN/£25...
Completely agree! The only digital music I've ever bought is a few 'pay what you want' digital-only releases from independent bands who can't distribute bigger releases. But otherwise physical music has had a huge resurgance in my life, especially once I started collecting vinyl. Such a drain on my finances though going down that rabbit hole addiction <worried>

Those are some steep prices, so if you don't want to stump up that money, let me know and I can somehow send you the music (if you can't find it online somewhere for free). You can make it up to him by picking up his new album when it drops this fall. <ok>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks for the offer, but it had already been obtained. I like it try before I buy. <whistle>

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 pm

My hometown is across the lake from Cleveland, and I grew up listening to a lot of Bone Thugs n' Harmony on the radio. Their verses on the new ASAP Ferg album is a real return to form from them.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:56 pm

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Chronikill
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by Chronikill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:56 pm

NEW GRIME CLASH - Words Are Weapons:

Just B form Newcastle faces Rai Man from Bournemouth.

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 pm

What do you guys think? Great rapping, but as a song, it isn't that great so far.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 pm

The way he's keeps varying the speed of his flow sounds like old Tech N9ne, but he hasn't got the voice to make it sound good.

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Cal wrote:The way he's keeps varying the speed of his flow sounds like old Tech N9ne, but he hasn't got the voice to make it sound good.
Well I haven't even heard of tech n9ne, might try whoever that is out.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 pm

So this is pretty unusual, a load of 'underground' rappers I've liked at various points (plus a couple I haven't) over the last 13 years or so got together on one track. Even if you're not into underground stuff, there's a couple of ex-D12 members on there.

Swarley wrote:
Cal wrote:The way he's keeps varying the speed of his flow sounds like old Tech N9ne, but he hasn't got the voice to make it sound good.
Well I haven't even heard of tech n9ne, might try whoever that is out.
If you're wanting to give Tech N9ne a shot...
SpoilerShow

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Just got done listening to Vaudeville Villian by Viktor Vaughn (otherwise known as MF Doom). Fantastic album <awe>
REQUIEM

I Bleed Black & White
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by I Bleed Black & White » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Just ran through the Marshall Mathers LP 2 a couple time. What an album!! Well worth a purchase! The deluxe version has a track on called "Beautiful Pain" which is arguably the best track on the album.
You guys should give it a listen:

http://www.audiomack.com/song/cosby/bea ... n-feat-sia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 am

Some modern or less known stuff:

Childish Gambino - 3005 (incredibly talented considering he only recently went into rap)
SpoilerShow
Clear Soul Forces - Get No Better (if you like them check out Dyme-A-Duzin, Logic, Kooley High and The Underachievers)
SpoilerShow
Eminem - Drug Ballad (quality track, but fairly unknown by his standards)
SpoilerShow
Lil Crazed - Look At Me Now
SpoilerShow
MF Doom – Doomsday (relatively unknown for some reason, if you like him check out Tijon)
SpoilerShow
The Palmer Squares - The Plot Thickens
SpoilerShow
Pmac – One (if you like him check out Nolas)
SpoilerShow
Sam Lachow - LittleManBigCity (he claims he's mainly a producer, but I think he'll end up being mainly a singer)
SpoilerShow
Watsky - Tiny Glowing Screens Part 2 (if you don't know him, seriously check him out)
SpoilerShow
Wax - Rosana (I went for his most viewed, but he's got quite a wide range of songs)
SpoilerShow

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Sir Bobby you heard Childish Gambino's album Camp?
It's brilliant <awe>
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 am

Iron Mikes Tiny Eyes wrote:Sir Bobby you heard Childish Gambino's album Camp?
It's brilliant <awe>
Of course! First song of his I heard was Bonfire, liked him ever since. He's fast becoming a favourite of mine <awe>

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:58 am

Murs and Curtiss King released a trap rap mixtape the other day (describing it as a "backpacker's adventure into the world of trap music"). The last track on there is perfectly timed.

Not sure trap is my thing, but I prefer it to his experiments with rap-rock and that awful album with Fashawn ( <puke> ).

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am