The Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: The Hip-Hop/Rap Thread

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Pac's birthday, and since it's Father's Day too I guess there's only one song I could go for... (Although I suppose Letter 2 My Unborn could be linked too)

[youtube]3_QVfgCFNoo[/youtube]

The Rock Lobster
Is Shit
Is Shit

Post by The Rock Lobster » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Guy I used to go to school with <laugh>

[youtube]wP8_0cEpLuI[/youtube]
" Samaras is a special player." - A. Iniesta

QWOP
Tuna QWOPSters
Tuna QWOPSters

Post by QWOP » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 pm

The Rock Lobster wrote:Guy I used to go to school with <laugh>

[youtube]wP8_0cEpLuI[/youtube]
Newcastle's answer to Fat Joe!

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PFT » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Jay Z's new album leaked today, what I've heard so far it's quite good.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Just stumbled across this again after 20+ years.

1992 and a classic:

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 pm

CZARFACE 2 announced. <divax> Coincided with release of a video for Hazmat Rap from CZARFACE. <diva>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:09 am

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Mifune wrote:
I came in this thread to post stuff from the Doomtree crew, and never expected to see someone already post Dessa. Saw POS and her live a couple years ago, before then catching Doomtree doing one of their rare full tours with everyone in the group last year. Absolutely amazing, and none of them can do any wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Je suis avec Colo wrote:
Mifune wrote:
I came in this thread to post stuff from the Doomtree crew, and never expected to see someone already post Dessa. Saw POS and her live a couple years ago, before then catching Doomtree doing one of their rare full tours with everyone in the group last year. Absolutely amazing, and none of them can do any wrong as far as I'm concerned.
I've just got into Doomtree. Heard Dessa on NPR a bit ago and got into her and them through that <diva>.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Mifune wrote:
Je suis avec Colo wrote: I came in this thread to post stuff from the Doomtree crew, and never expected to see someone already post Dessa. Saw POS and her live a couple years ago, before then catching Doomtree doing one of their rare full tours with everyone in the group last year. Absolutely amazing, and none of them can do any wrong as far as I'm concerned.
I've just got into Doomtree. Heard Dessa on NPR a bit ago and got into her and them through that <diva>.
If you haven't yet, check out Astronautalis. He's got a couple songs with POS, and they have a duo album that will come out at some point. If you can imagine folk/indie mixed with rap, he's your guy. Also helps he started out as a battle rapper and is an outrageous freestyler.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Je suis avec Colo wrote:
Mifune wrote:
If you haven't yet, check out Astronautalis. He's got a couple songs with POS, and they have a duo album that will come out at some point. If you can imagine folk/indie mixed with rap, he's your guy. Also helps he started out as a battle rapper and is an outrageous freestyler.
I haven't, so I will thanks <ok>.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Mifune wrote:
Je suis avec Colo wrote: If you haven't yet, check out Astronautalis. He's got a couple songs with POS, and they have a duo album that will come out at some point. If you can imagine folk/indie mixed with rap, he's your guy. Also helps he started out as a battle rapper and is an outrageous freestyler.
I haven't, so I will thanks <ok>.
Just stumbled upon this video of him. Props to whoever did the editing, and it really shows off how passionate he is performing, even if just in a studio.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:09 pm

That was great <awe>. Definitely going to listen to more.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Shad, best rapper in Canada. (k-os is right up there too though)

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:57 pm

Not bad, although not keen on the production on the first or second one. Also Abdominal would like you have a word with you on the best Canadian rapper front. Probably posted some of these before.

A few more in spoilers, post was getting a bit long.
SpoilerShow

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

That's a fair criticism; he's always been pretty low budget, and I'm not sure who he's always had to do his production. I'm curious to hear his new album coming out in October since Skratch Bastid did all of the production. I actually prefer his songs that have more traditional production, or sample throwback stuff, like Rose Garden.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm

That Rose Garden is much better, also the timing for stuff to coincide on that video is pretty insane. One of my pet hates is when beats/samples/other vocals drown out or compete with the rapping, which is what I took issue with one those other two. Not necessarily the quality of production, since even the simplest beatboxing can work well.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Cal wrote:That Rose Garden is much better, also the timing for stuff to coincide on that video is pretty insane. One of my pet hates is when beats/samples/other vocals drown out or compete with the rapping, which is what I took issue with one those other two. Not necessarily the quality of production, since even the simplest beatboxing can work well.
That makes sense, especially if with Live Forever it was Dallas Green's vocals you didn't like competing over the rapping? It was from a 2 song split they put out, but Dallas is the bigger artist and you can tell got priority in the mixing of the chorus, even though Shad should be at the front of that song.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm

I guess I'm a sucker for midwest hip-hop, and specifically the Minneapolis scene. Was a big fan of Eyedea & Abilities before he OD'd. I'll admit Cal, the beats/samples in this one might also be mixed too loudly, although I'd say his previous albums had really minimalistic production, even though this one had a lot of rock influence.

Adding an old one...frankly, his stuff is on the whole really dark.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:52 am

Decided to delve into Shad's works. When This Is Over is f***ing phenomenal. I need to find somewhere in the UK that sells this, initial search isn't going well and his own site doesn't have it...

Only listened to the other two once each so far, and not properly since headphones were off while I waited for a delivery.

Not keen on the change in sound or increased references to God/Jesus (even though I found Question Marks interesting) in The Old Prince and TSOL now that I've given them another listen.