Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Re: Album Swap

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 am

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:
Vaudeville Villian by Viktor Vaughn/MF Doom
Already absolutely love this album, sorry. Big fan of DOOM. Good rec though.

Aphex Twin - Syro
The Beyond/Where The Giants Roam - Thundercat
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 am

beardface wrote:
skalpel wrote:Have you heard Rain Dogs by Tom Waits? If not, then there's yours.

I don't have any specific requests. Nothing with a particularly whiny singer though, I guess <roll>.
I can't make any promises you won't find them whiny <roll>

This isn't really my sort of thing to be honest, so after the first couple of tracks I was expecting to hate it. But it actually had some surprises up its sleeve here and there. The little Deliverance interlude after Keep Learning (which imo should have just been the end of Keep Learning without the extra name) was my favourite part of the whole album. Blue Isla was a close second too, it's a shame there wasn't more of that on there. The guitars in Knowledge Is Power reminded me a little bit of the band Katatonia, which is good, so it ended well. The drummer was awesome too. On the down side, it felt kind of samey for most of the listen and I tend to enjoy albums that push out the boat on being different. I wasn't really keen on the singer (though he wasn't whiney <roll>) which I think would probably have helped me like it more.

Half marks from me, cheers for the recommendation.

Young Lions - Blue Isla
<gold> <gold> <half> <grey> <grey>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 10:30 am

Ramone wrote:The Beyond/Where The Giants Roam - Thundercat
Enjoyed the hell out of this (also never known a record to sound so much like its cover). Pretty much sums up the word understated, it's almost like it doesn't even give a s*** how good it is <laugh>. Just when I thought Lone Wolf and Cub was going to be sort of by-the-numbers the second half kicks in and probably steals the show.

It's a shame it was only an EP because it had an awesome atmosphere as well. I'll be checking out the rest of his stuff, do you recommend another if I liked this?

I hadn't realised he'd been on Cosmogramma until just reading it now either.

Thundercat - The Beyond/Where the Giants Roam
<gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <half>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 10:41 am

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:The Beyond/Where The Giants Roam - Thundercat
Enjoyed the hell out of this (also never known a record to sound so much like its cover). Pretty much sums up the word understated, it's almost like it doesn't even give a s*** how good it is <laugh>. Just when I thought Lone Wolf and Cub was going to be sort of by-the-numbers the second half kicks in and probably steals the show.

It's a shame it was only an EP because it had an awesome atmosphere as well. I'll be checking out the rest of his stuff, do you recommend another if I liked this?

I hadn't realised he'd been on Cosmogramma until just reading it now either.

Thundercat - The Beyond/Where the Giants Roam
<gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <half>
Apocalypse has some really good songs on it as well and it's a full album.

He also does a lot of production work, To Pimp a Butterfly, untitled unmastered, The Epic etc.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 11:51 am

Ramone wrote:Apocalypse has some really good songs on it as well and it's a full album.

He also does a lot of production work, To Pimp a Butterfly, untitled unmastered, The Epic etc.
<ok> Cheers.

What do you make of The Epic by the way? I've never listened start to finish. Some people seem to think its s****, some people say its a masterpiece.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 11:58 am

skalpel wrote:
Ramone wrote:Apocalypse has some really good songs on it as well and it's a full album.

<ok> Cheers.

What do you make of The Epic by the way? I've never listened start to finish. Some people seem to think its s****, some people say its a masterpiece.
I honestly haven't had time to sit down and listen to it start to finish either. I enjoyed the few songs that I heard though.
REQUIEM

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm

Aphex Twin - Syro

<gold> <gold> <gold> <gold> <grey>

I've not really listened to any Aphex Twin before but I think I might give some of his earlier stuff a go now. I couldn't pick out any standout tracks except for the last one which is pretty much the perfect sign off. I think the album as a whole works really well though. Decent mix of low tempo, atmospheric songs and f***ed-off-your-face-on-pills ones.
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 12:46 pm

You'll probably like his Analord series (the Chosen Lords album is a selection of some of them and works pretty well). I Care Because You Do is a good shout as well. Oh, and the last track on Syro is similar in style to Avril 14th

The two Selected Ambient Works albums are his masterpieces for me, but they're f*** all like Syro.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 12:52 pm

Willing to do another swap if someone's up for it.

The Epic - Kamasi Washington <roll>
REQUIEM

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 pm

<roll> I may pass on this one.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 pm

How about Sleater-Kinney - Sleater-Kinney ?
REQUIEM

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Tue May 24, 2016 4:32 pm

skalpel wrote:
beardface wrote:
I can't make any promises you won't find them whiny <roll>

This isn't really my sort of thing to be honest, so after the first couple of tracks I was expecting to hate it. But it actually had some surprises up its sleeve here and there. The little Deliverance interlude after Keep Learning (which imo should have just been the end of Keep Learning without the extra name) was my favourite part of the whole album. Blue Isla was a close second too, it's a shame there wasn't more of that on there. The guitars in Knowledge Is Power reminded me a little bit of the band Katatonia, which is good, so it ended well. The drummer was awesome too. On the down side, it felt kind of samey for most of the listen and I tend to enjoy albums that push out the boat on being different. I wasn't really keen on the singer (though he wasn't whiney <roll>) which I think would probably have helped me like it more.

Half marks from me, cheers for the recommendation.

Young Lions - Blue Isla
Entirely fair. I don't think I've ever sat through the album from start to finish and was conscious of their stuff sounding similar after I recommended it <laugh>

Glad you liked a couple of the tracks <diva>

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Tue May 24, 2016 11:03 pm

skalpel wrote:
LiDL wrote:I'm up for doing one of these if anybody fancies as well. Been going through a 1001 albums book in chronological order recently, would be nice to listen to something that isn't from the 60s or 70s for a change.
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer

Not sure I was really in the mood for ambient music but it was alright. It's one of those genres where I have absolutely no idea what is good and what is bad ambient and all the songs just sort of drift along into one because I can't really concentrate on them. I think inoffensive is the word I'd use, though I have a feeling that's one of the more offensive ways to describe it <laugh>

Will definitely give it a go next time I have a late night though, feel like it might suit a quiet drive or walk at 2am.

I'm sure you've got loads of other albums to be getting through but if you're wanting one back then I'll suggest Who Is William Onyeabor? by William Onyeabor- spotify or if you'd rather something else then Hypnotic Brass Ensemble's self titled - spotify
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 am

LiDL wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer

Not sure I was really in the mood for ambient music but it was alright. It's one of those genres where I have absolutely no idea what is good and what is bad ambient and all the songs just sort of drift along into one because I can't really concentrate on them. I think inoffensive is the word I'd use, though I have a feeling that's one of the more offensive ways to describe it <laugh>

Will definitely give it a go next time I have a late night though, feel like it might suit a quiet drive or walk at 2am.

I'm sure you've got loads of other albums to be getting through but if you're wanting one back then I'll suggest Who Is William Onyeabor? by William Onyeabor- spotify or if you'd rather something else then Hypnotic Brass Ensemble's self titled - spotify
<ok> Fair points. The reason I suggested it was because it was about midnight at the time. I'd say it's worth it sometime giving it a shot alone at night as you say.

Cheers, I'll listen to both! Hopefully today or tomorrow (I'm in the process of moving house so it may be tomorrow).

If you want something else different back, how about Dungen - 4 which I mentioned a few pages ago? You'll probably only be able to stream it on Spotify though.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 am

Ramone wrote:How about Sleater-Kinney - Sleater-Kinney ?
Hew man, you f***ing d******** <fist>
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 25, 2016 10:30 am

Ramone wrote:
Ramone wrote:How about Sleater-Kinney - Sleater-Kinney ?
I'm up for a swap Ramone, but i've had that album since it first came out so not much point me reviewing it. <ok>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed May 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:
I'm up for a swap Ramone, but i've had that album since it first came out so not much point me reviewing it. <ok>
Superunknown - Soundgarden ?
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Ramone wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:
Another great album i've had since it came out. <laugh>

Not having much luck.

Are you familiar with the band The Sound?

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed May 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Ramone wrote:

Not having much luck.

<fist>

EDIT: Bakesale - Sebadoh

Not familiar with The Sound at all
REQUIEM

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed May 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Ramone wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Not having much luck.

<fist>

Ultimate Alternate Wavers - Built to Spill?

Not familiar with The Sound at all
Ok I'll give that a go!

The Sound - From the Lions Mouth