Dr Feelgood - Down By The Jetty
Devo - Are We Not Men
Iggy And The Stooges - Fun House/Stooges
Magazine - Scree
Pink Fairies - Never NeverLand
Punishment Of Luxury - Laughing Academy
Rory Gallagher - Tattoo
The GroundHogs - Split

That's tenish <whistle> and i could still add more like stiff little fingers,undertones,nick cave,the clash,the who.pj harvey,Roxy music,swell maps,folk devils,joy division,echo and the bunnymen,the cure,the doors,the dickies,the damned etc etc blah blah blah <wah> .Keep looking at that list and thinking i'll remove that and replace it with this argghhhh i'll leave it alone. <coat>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Ten Albums

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Based on Cal's comprehensive post, I felt like doing mine properly too <diva>.

Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic
Dark, tense and agitated aren't usually words you'd fit alongside jazz, but this album did it first and did it best. Enormously influential for a lot of the jazz I used to write, this is the album that really got me into avant garde, unlocking a massive catalogue of brilliant albums for me to enjoy.

- - -

Nick Drake - Pink Moon
This album is an absolute obsession of mine and has been for years - I can't rank albums in order of favourites, but this is without doubt my favourite regardless of the rest. To some people this may be an album of nice acoustic guitar songs, to me it is much, much more. I read a review of it a while back that said if you're prone to regular bouts of crippling depression, then repeated listens of this album can be either your saviour or your cause of death; yeah I can pretty much agree with that.

- - -

Caravan - In The Land of Grey & Pink
The album that first taught me to keep an open mind to everything. As a teenager, I'd listened to hard rock and metal for the most part and almost refused to listen to anything else. When I forced myself to listen to this album, which basically blends pop songs with progressive rock and psychedelia, it grew on me like the most incredible weed I'd ever seen. I couldn't get rid of it, but I didn't want to - from the age of 18-20. This album was basically the doorway to everything I listen to now, because I learned how to listen to music via this album.

- - -

Artur Rubinstein - 19 Chopin Nocturnes
I used to listen to classical music as a kid, I actually used to write little piano pieces as a kid too. But I never really got classical music until I was about 19 and started properly enjoying Chopin. This album is the best recording of his Nocturnes; piano pieces which initially were intended to be calm pieces based on left hand arpeggio repetition, but over time were completely transformed into masterful ballades, filled with imagery and gorgeous melodies. Obviously, this being Chopin, they're almost all crammed with melancholia. From here I started exploring classical properly again.

- - -

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Ambient music meant nothing to me until I heard this, and now it's something I can't imagine living without. It astounds me to see people preferring his first 'ambient' recordings over this absolute masterpiece. Tape distorted, dark and disturbing soundscapes live in here. If you're like me and spend most of your time awake at night, then this album is really worth trying to enjoy - with headphones of course. Give it plenty of time and make sure you have something else to do while you listen the first few times. Once you're into it you'll just sit there, staring at nothing and focussing your entire attention on the surreal, spaced-out serenity that is filling your head.

- - -

The rest:

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Kronos Quartet - Complete Schnittke String Quartets
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Bonobo - Animal Magic
John Coltrane - Impressions
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Claudio Arrau - Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas
Comus - First Utterance
Martha Argerich w/ Riccardo Chailly - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Dungen - Ta Det Lungt
Fela Kuti - No Agreement

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

A lot of support for Aphex Twin <awe> always good to see.

As for my ten (as though anyone will care)

Interpol All/any of their albums, the one band I could never ever tire of listening to.
Radiohead - The Bends. Not my favourite by them, but it was the 'gateway album' which led to their more challenging, but vastly more rewarding albums. Having said that, I overplayed the s*** out of Radiohead, so can barely stand them anymore.
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below. The album that got me into hip hop/rap.
Velvet Underground and Nico A good album sure, but its more for the fact that without this band and this album, then artists and bands I love, such as Bowie, would never have existed.
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. For the same reasons as VU.
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords. A 'Comedy Album' with lyrics that are actually remotely funny. Got me through quite a few boring shifts of work.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call. About his break up with PJ Harvey. The lyrics and arrangements are astonishingly good. If I ever feel bad, just putting this on reminds me it could be worse.
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver. Brings back good memories when listened to.
Doom - Born Like This. Reminded me that rap music isn't all banal rubbish about b****es and bling.
Four Tet - There is Love in You and Everything Ecstatic soundtracked my dissertation last year, great revision music (albeit perhaps not what it was intended for).

Sorry for the rambling and being late to the party. I placed far too much importance in choosing and editing the list. <cry>

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:31 pm

TSI, being a Beefheart fan, what is your stance of Trout Mask Replica?

I see if banded around as a classic album, but I've never got past Track 3 or 4. Am I missing something? :(

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm

I loved Four Tet's Everything Ecstatic during my first uni year, but then totally lost interest in it really quickly for some reason. Then suddenly totally lost interest in all of his music shortly afterwards and I've never enjoyed it since. It's pretty weird really, I've never experienced that phenomenon for any other artist before or since either.

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Cabaye Curious wrote:A lot of support for Aphex Twin <awe> always good to see.

As for my ten (as though anyone will care)

Interpol All/any of their albums, the one band I could never ever tire of listening to.
Radiohead - The Bends. Not my favourite by them, but it was the 'gateway album' which led to their more challenging, but vastly more rewarding albums. Having said that, I overplayed the s*** out of Radiohead, so can barely stand them anymore.
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below. The album that got me into hip hop/rap.
Velvet Underground and Nico A good album sure, but its more for the fact that without this band and this album, then artists and bands I love, such as Bowie, would never have existed.
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. For the same reasons as VU.
Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords. A 'Comedy Album' with lyrics that are actually remotely funny. Got me through quite a few boring shifts of work.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call. About his break up with PJ Harvey. The lyrics and arrangements are astonishingly good. If I ever feel bad, just putting this on reminds me it could be worse.
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver. Brings back good memories when listened to.
Doom - Born Like This. Reminded me that rap music isn't all banal rubbish about b****es and bling.
Four Tet - There is Love in You and Everything Ecstatic soundtracked my dissertation last year, great revision music (albeit perhaps not what it was intended for).

Sorry for the rambling and being late to the party. I placed far too much importance in choosing and editing the list. <cry>
I was going to put Loveless in mine, but I decided I could live without it more than Psycho Candy

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm

skalpel wrote:I loved Four Tet's Everything Ecstatic during my first uni year, but then totally lost interest in it really quickly for some reason. Then suddenly totally lost interest in all of his music shortly afterwards and I've never enjoyed it since. It's pretty weird really, I've never experienced that phenomenon for any other artist before or since either.
I used to love Eiffel 65, but now I hate them. I know this experience too <roll>

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm

skalpel wrote:Image

Ambient music meant nothing to me until I heard this, and now it's something I can't imagine living without. It astounds me to see people preferring his first 'ambient' recordings over this absolute masterpiece. Tape distorted, dark and disturbing soundscapes live in here. If you're like me and spend most of your time awake at night, then this album is really worth trying to enjoy - with headphones of course. Give it plenty of time and make sure you have something else to do while you listen the first few times. Once you're into it you'll just sit there, staring at nothing and focussing your entire attention on the surreal, spaced-out serenity that is filling your head.
Because I actually put his first SAW album in my list, I'm going to respond. The only reason I rate it more than SAW 2 is because it was the breakthrough electronic album for me. Up until I heard Xtal, I generally found electronic music very dull and emotionless, something just didn't appeal to me at all. I love SAW 2 to bits, really do, but as the OP says it's about albums that your life would be worse off without, and without that album, I would never have experienced some absolutely stunning music.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:34 pm

P.T.N wrote:
skalpel wrote:I loved Four Tet's Everything Ecstatic during my first uni year, but then totally lost interest in it really quickly for some reason. Then suddenly totally lost interest in all of his music shortly afterwards and I've never enjoyed it since. It's pretty weird really, I've never experienced that phenomenon for any other artist before or since either.
I used to love Eiffel 65, but now I hate them. I know this experience too <roll>
<laugh>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Ryan wrote:
skalpel wrote:Image

Because I actually put his first SAW album in my list, I'm going to respond. The only reason I rate it more than SAW 2 is because it was the breakthrough electronic album for me. Up until I heard Xtal, I generally found electronic music very dull and emotionless, something just didn't appeal to me at all. I love SAW 2 to bits, really do, but as the OP says it's about albums that your life would be worse off with, and without that album, I would never have experienced some absolutely stunning music.
Indeed, I should have clarified that I didn't mean in this thread. Just people who prefer the first over the second musically, rather than because of the impact on their life. It is a great album though, just not a patch on the second.

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:38 pm

I can see where you're coming from, I've rarely listened to it since my dissertation.
A quick hypothesis is that maybe its just a bit sterile. Lacks the warmth of something like Eno and Byrne's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts(admittedly a different genre), where there is something to keep you coming back.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Cabaye Curious wrote:
I can see where you're coming from, I've rarely listened to it since my dissertation.
A quick hypothesis is that maybe its just a bit sterile. Lacks the warmth of something like Eno and Byrne's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts(admittedly a different genre), where there is something to keep you coming back.
Yeah I think you're probably right there. He puts all the right ingredients in to create something with a bit of soul, but it just doesn't seem to come out right, or at least not in such a way that it has lasting qualities.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Having read other people's posts I've realised that I've done mine all wrong <grim>

I'll re-do it in a second with reasons and the right albums. Not that anybody cares <laugh>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Cabaye Curious wrote:TSI, being a Beefheart fan, what is your stance of Trout Mask Replica?

I see if banded around as a classic album, but I've never got past Track 3 or 4. Am I missing something? :(
For me it's one of those albums that people seem to quote because others have if you know what i mean(and normally by people who haven't heard his other albums). For me he has released a lot better albums safe as milk being my favourite.Don't get me wrong it's not a terrible album with some good tracks china pig and Well being personal favs,As for the style of the album musical chaos sums it up for me,now whether that's your bag or not i'm not sure but if you like bands/artists like pere ubu,the great man Zappa then this album is for you.If anyone asked me to recommend a Cpt. Beefheart who hadn't heard him before it wouldn't be trout mask replica.
Nice choice of album by nick cave by the way.<ok>

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:Having read other people's posts I've realised that I've done mine all wrong <grim>

I'll re-do it in a second with reasons and the right albums. Not that anybody cares <laugh>
Yes we do! <whistle>

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm

The Secret Ingredient wrote:
Cabaye Curious wrote:TSI, being a Beefheart fan, what is your stance of Trout Mask Replica?

For me it's one of those albums that people seem to quote because others have if you know what i mean(and normally by people who haven't heard his other albums). For me he has released a lot better albums safe as milk being my favourite.Don't get me wrong it's not a terrible album with some good tracks china pig and Well being personal favs,As for the style of the album musical chaos sums it up for me,now whether that's your bag or not i'm not sure but if you like bands/artists like pere ubu,the great man Zappa then this album is for you.
Nice choice of album by nick cave by the way.<ok>
Thanks - it was between that and Murder Ballads, but I stick by my original choice. <gent>

I don't mind something a bit challenging, but I just found Trout Mask Replica a close second to Metal Machine Music for unlistenableness.

Never actually listened to any Zappa. A guy at uni loved him, but this was a man who took to attending lectures wearing a tweed suit, so I put it off. May finally get round to checking him out now. <ok>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I added this bit after your post :)

If anyone asked me to recommend a Cpt. Beefheart album who hadn't heard him before it wouldn't be trout mask replica.
Try safe as milk you might see him in a different light.

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 pm

The Secret Ingredient wrote:I added this bit after your post :)

If anyone asked me to recommend a Cpt. Beefheart album who hadn't heard him before it wouldn't be trout mask replica.
Try safe as milk you might see him in a different light.
I've got Safe as Milk, found it for £2 in a record shop in London when mincing around between job interviews once. What a find! The bass on Zig Zag Wanderer is just great.

I only wish he had made a little more of this accessible southerny swamp rock blues stuff.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 pm

The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar

The first time I heard them was their Glastonbury 2011 setlist late at night and it's the first time I've ever fallen in love with a band at first listen. Hearing Whirring for the first time at 2am watching replays on the red button just gave me some indescribable feeling which I'll always associate with this record.

The Black Keys - Thickfreakness

The album that got me into my favourite band. I listen to them every day and they've pretty much shaped the core part of my music taste.

The Black Keys - El Camino

It was their tour of this album that I went to see with my sister. Their show was easily the best live performance I've seen <awe>

The Hold Steady - Girls And Boys In America

Listened to this every morning on the way to school. It got me ready for the day so often that the songs are pretty much imprinted on my mind.

We Are Scientists - With Love And Squalor

The first album that I managed to love every song from. Saw them live the year this was released, I was right at the front. That's the last time I went to Jersey Live so of course I have good memories of that experience.

Tenacious D - Tenacious D

Me and my mate used to sing the songs off this all the time. I know every inch of every song.

Radiohead - The Bends

The 'gateway' album to enjoying Radiohead. Don't really like it much anymore but without this I'd never have bothered listening to Hail To The Thief, one of my favourite albums.

Sigur Ros - Takk

Got me into Sigur Ros. I used to listen to this album at night so it's become imprinted in my mind from the times I've fallen asleep listening to this. The most relaxing album I've ever heard.

The Darkness - Permission To Land

Similar to Tenacious D. I know this album inside out and went through a period of about a month where this was near enough the only thing I listened to. The Darkness were what introduced me to rock music so I have to give them the credit for introducing me to much of what I listen to now (in a roundabout way).

The Killers - Sams Town

Not a great album but I've listened to it so many times that it's become a favourite of mine. This was the first CD I got as a present and since then I've asked for CDs pretty much exclusively for birthdays and Christmas.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!