Ten Albums

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Ten Albums

Post by Lidl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Oh I forgot this one as well:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

The album that made me really love the drums. Before listening to this I practiced maybe once a week, as soon as I heard the drums throughout this I ended up playing pretty much nightly. Such a brilliant drumming album <awe>
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:02 pm

TheresOnlyTwoAmeobis wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I'd honestly say that their last album was a terrible release. The parts that aren't structureless and meandering are extremely derivative. The release before that had a few decent moments of good writing, but for the most part was poor, and but a shadow of their former selves. You're definitely right though, there has been a noticeable slide downhill since Blackwater Park, though Damnation was a pretty good release. As for Katatonia, yeah they are severely underestimated. Even though I don't listen to them anymore, they have a special place in my music listening history for sure, I first got into them around the release of Viva Emptiness and quickly fell in love with Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Brave Murder Day.
Are you into Ulver at all? Back in the day those three bands were a bit of a triumvirate between fans. Their early releases were crosses between Scandinavian folk and black metal but then they shifted into trip hop, ambient and experimental music forms - quite unusual stuff at times but very interesting.

I like a couple of songs on the new Opeth album but, on the few occasions I've put it on, I find that I end up switching off after a few songs and not actually listening to it, if that makes sense. Not sure if it's boredom or just a coincidence.

I tried Ulver a good few years ago but didn't really like them after a couple of songs, so gave up. I might give them another go sometime soon though.
Yeah it really depends on the album with Ulver. I havent given them a proper listen in years now, but every single album sounds sod all like the previous one so it certainly can be a case of picking and choosing which albums you actually get enjoyment from.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:Oh I forgot this one as well:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

The album that made me really love the drums. Before listening to this I practiced maybe once a week, as soon as I heard the drums throughout this I ended up playing pretty much nightly. Such a brilliant drumming album <awe>
Good call <awe>

One I've forgotten:

Roy Buchanan - When a Guitar Plays the Blues

This album made me pick up a guitar and to this day Chicago Smokeshop still remains my favourite guitar track of all time. Just amazing <awe> Just an all round great Blues album.

dls
Fur is Good
Fur is Good

Post by dls » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:44 pm

In no particular order:

This Town Needs Guns- Animals.
City and Colour - Sometimes
Circa Survive - Juturna
Alexisonfire - Watch Out!
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Digitalism - Idealism
Million Dead - A Song To Ruin

They're the 10 albums that probably mean the most to me, even if I don't listen to some of them very often, if at all anymore.

There's probably some glaring omission that I've forgotten too.

Edit: Remembered already, Foals - Antidotes.

f***, and MewithoutYou - Catch for Us the Foxes.

This is too hard <wah>
Last edited by dls on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Antidotes has amazing drumming as well <awe>

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Dr. Lucien Sanchez wrote:MewithoutYou - Catch for Us the Foxes.
You really don't help yourself at times <whistle>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Ryan wrote:
Dr. Lucien Sanchez wrote:MewithoutYou - Catch for Us the Foxes.
You really don't help yourself at times <whistle>
<laugh>!

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm

(In no particular order)
Bright Eyes: Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil Keep Your Ear To The Ground
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks
John Frusciante - The Empyrean
Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
The Killers - Sam's Town
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Clint Mansell - The Fountain (Music from the Motion Picture)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Frédéric Chopin - Chopin: Polonaises
John Frusciante - Shadows Collide With People
Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire
The Walkmen - Bows + Arrows
Philip Glass - Glass Box: A Nonesuch Retrospective
John Murphy - Sunshine (Music from the Motion Picture)
Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst
Alfred Schnittke - Schnittke: The Complete String Quartets
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Cinematic Orchestra - The Crimson Wing: Mystery Of The Flamingos
Clint Mansell; Kronos Quartet - Requiem For A Dream
Howard Shore - The Lord Of The Rings
Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea
John Frusciante - Curtains
Ludwig van Beethoven - The 9 Symphonies (Karajan)
Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
Pixies - Doolittle
Bedřich Smetana - Smetana: Má vlast
Placebo - Black Market Music

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I almost forgot

Where You Been - Dinosaur Jr.
REQUIEM

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Mifune wrote: The Killers - Sam's Town
<awe> Any particular reason?

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:
Mifune wrote: The Killers - Sam's Town

I think it is (slightly) better than Hot Fuss, and "When You Were Young" is my favourite Killers song <love>. Plus I looked forwards to the release of Sam's Town so much because Hot Fuss was so good and it delieved which made it even better <awe>.

EDIT: Just realised you had bolded "The Killers". I really like The Killers (despite what people on here think of them <wenger>), Day and Age was so so, but Hot Fuss and Sam's Town are amazing. Also got into them at an awesome part of my life so they have a bit of special significance as well. Can't wait until Battle Born comes out, sounds like they are going back to Sam's Town/Hot Fuss stuff <awe>.
Last edited by Mifune on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cabaye Curious
Wood's Touch

Post by Cabaye Curious » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Mifune wrote:

I think it is (slightly) better than Hot Fuss, and "When You Were Young" is my favourite Killers song <love>. Plus I looked forwards to the release of Sam's Town so much because Hot Fuss was so good and it delieved which made it even better <awe>.
My favourite Killers album too :) this soundtracked my first few months of sixth form college.
They've gone downhill so much since then though, or I have got more pretentious, one or the other. <scratch>

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm

I've strayed away from The Beatles, as I rank their entire discography above anything ever <awe> (My personal opinion so no Beatle arguments again please <ok>)
So my favourite non-Beatle albums in no particular order:

Songs In The Key Of Life - Stevie Wonder
Simply a phenomenal double album of brilliant songs. I listen to this at least once a month i'd say in its entirety and don't skip a track on either disk. Sir Duke <awe>

Mama Said - Lenny Kravitz
Such a great album of rock, blues, soul and funk rolled into one.

Band On the Run - Paul McCartney & Wings
I adore this album as much as any Beatles one, the best composition by any Beatle since they split in my opinion.

Sign 'O' The Times - Prince
I struggled between choosing this and Musicology or Around the World in a day. But this topped it. Just. Such an eclectic collection of songs on this, as could probably be argued for any Prince album. But these seem to bind together well and it's a great listen.

Try! - John Mayer Trio
This is a brilliant live album that showcases 3 musicians at the top of their game. I've been a fan of John Mayer since I heard the Heavier Things album and came to appreciate all his releases. I was tied between this and Continuum, which really made me realise just how good of a lyricist and musician he was, but this topped it for showcasing 3 great talents.

Axis: Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
My favourite Hendrix album by a mile, as Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand are two of my favourite songs ever. The rest of the album is amazing also, with Wait Until Tomorrow another favourite of mine.

Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
Maybe an obvious choice for Fleetwood Mac but i've never known music convey emotion like this album. It's such a personal insight into how much turmoil was going on personally within the band at the time. It must have been so hard for them to make, playing on each others songs, knowing it was probably a bite at them.

Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
I personally think this is the Stones best work by a mile, and it really showed them maturing musically as a band. And it has Gimme Shelter and Live With me on which are ace.

(What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
I didn't want to put this on, as I know how much Toon Forum despises the Gallaghers. But for me, this is simply song-for-song the greatest album ever. Each song could have easily been number 1 in my opinion. It deserves every accolade its ever got. An album this good, for me, cannot be overrated. I was tempted to put Definitely Maybe and the Masterplan on this list as I rate them extremely highly too, but refrained for variety. And a backlash.

Back In Black - AC/DC
The greatest hard rock album ever made for me, that's simply all I can say. Its brilliant and this is shown by the fact AC/DC went on to even greater heights even after Bon Scott died, solely on the quality of this record. Something like what this record achieved both commercially and for the band, and after so much of a setback, will never be repeated in my opinion.

Theres my 10, some choices are I can see painfully obvious, but these are out of all my CD's (a pretty darn big and varied collection may I add, everything from Blues to Metal) i'd say are the ones that made me go 'Woah'. Well, the ones aside from the Beatles anyway <roll>

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm

From my youth (mostly):

Big Black, Atomizer
Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
Eric B & Rakim, Follow the Leader
Dinosaur Jr., You’re Living All Over Me
Pavement, Slanted And Enchanted, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
The Jesus and Mary Chain, Psychocandy
The Young Gods, The Young Gods
The Wedding Present, George Best
Tricky, Maxinquaye
Television, Marquee Moon
Husker Du, Zen Arcade
The Stooges, The Stooges
Spacemen 3, The Perfect Prescription
Squirrel Bait, Skag Heaven
Sebadoh, Harmacy
Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Pixies, Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa
My Bloody Valentine, EPs/Isn’t Anything
Broken Social Scene, Broken Social Scene
Bongwater, Double Bummer
Marvin Gaye, What’s Going On

Chip Chipperson
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Chip Chipperson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
The Smiths - The Sound of The Smiths
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Doors - The Doors
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
Alice in Chains - Dirt
The Ramones - Ramones
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Added a few more.
"How dare you. How dare you! Don't ever, ever call me a bully. I'm so much worse than that." - Malcolm Tucker

Vaj
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions

Post by Vaj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 am

All Black Keys albums that I have listened to!
All Metallica albums except St Anger & that s*** with Lou Reed
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
All Lostprophets albums

That's pretty much it!

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am

Mifune wrote:

EDIT: Just realised you had bolded "The Killers". I really like The Killers (despite what people on here think of them <wenger>), Day and Age was so so, but Hot Fuss and Sam's Town are amazing. Also got into them at an awesome part of my life so they have a bit of special significance as well. Can't wait until Battle Born comes out, sounds like they are going back to Sam's Town/Hot Fuss stuff <awe>.
It was you who bolded The Killers <roll>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:26 am

beardface wrote:
Mifune wrote:

<laugh>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

beardface wrote:
Mifune wrote:

<laugh> <doh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:47 pm

James & the Giant Perch wrote: I struggled between choosing this a
(What's The Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
I didn't want to put this on, as I know how much Toon Forum despises the Gallaghers. But for me, this is simply song-for-song the greatest album ever. Each song could have easily been number 1 in my opinion. It deserves every accolade its ever got. An album this good, for me, cannot be overrated. I was tempted to put Definitely Maybe and the Masterplan on this list as I rate them extremely highly too, but refrained for variety. And a backlash.
One can dislike the Gallaghers and still like Oasis music. This was the first album I bought and I still love it. It's OTT and some of the lyrics are silly (nonsense to make it rhyme), but I like it nontheless.
Plenty of people hate Bono and love U2 also.

You even like She's Electric? I thought I was the only person...
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012