Ten Albums

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Ten Albums

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:53 pm

List ten albums (in no order) that your life would be worse off without. Feel free to do twenty, or fifty or one hundred if you're high on caffeine and feeling adventurous.

Don't go out of your way to show off anything obscure or portray an image of your overall taste, we're all aware that this place has a lot of folk with very varied tastes in music so this is just a way of seeing what music is most important to people here, rather than how eclectic their collection is. Feel free to add multiple albums by the same artist if that is the case.

I'll do mine in a bit, just wanted to see if this thread takes off first! <parrot>

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Ten Albums

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
We Are Scientists - With Love And Squalor
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
Zwan - Mary Star Of The Sea
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Airplane Over The Sea
Elliott Smith - XO
Black Keys - Every Album - The Big Come Up, Rubber Factory, Thickfreakness, Magic Potion, Attack and Release, Brothers, El Camino.
Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid
The Darkness - Permission To Land
Pixies - Doolittle

This is pretty much everything important to me at the moment. Some will always be important (Black Keys, Liam Finn, We Are Scientists, The Darkness) but the rest are just what I'm loving most at the moment.

Also, great idea! <ok>

I'm going to be editing this so much as I realise I've missed out so many obvious albums <disgrace>
Last edited by Lidl on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Great idea for a thread. My post is going to be more in-depth than necessary and likely few will even read it or care, but I'll get to work on it now. <gent>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:13 pm

Cal wrote:Great idea for a thread. My post is going to be more in-depth than necessary and likely few will even read it or care, but I'll get to work on it now. <gent>
<laugh> I certainly will! Though I know what you mean entirely, I'll probably spend an abnormal amount of time on mine too and even 'Preview' it before hitting enter as though anybody will give a toss.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age
We Are Scientists - With Love And Squalor
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
Zwan - Mary Star Of The Sea
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Airplane Over The Sea
Elliott Smith - XO
Black Keys - Every Album - The Big Come Up, Rubber Factory, Thickfreakness, Magic Potion, Attack and Release, Brothers, El Camino.
Dan Auerbach - Keep It Hid

This is pretty much everything important to me at the moment. Some will always be important (Black Keys, Liam Finn, We Are Scientists) but the rest are just what I'm loving most at the moment.

Also, great idea! <ok>
I only have one thing by the Black Keys and it's the collaboration they did with Ol' Dirty Bastard, Ludacris, Mos Def etc. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Since you've listed all of them there ( <laugh> ), which would be good to start with?

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 pm

skalpel wrote:I only have one thing by the Black Keys and it's the collaboration they did with Ol' Dirty Bastard, Ludacris, Mos Def etc. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Since you've listed all of them there ( <laugh> ), which would be good to start with?
That'll be Blakroc that you heard!

I'd say it's best to start at the beginning (considering you're not a fan of pop and their recent stuff is going dangerously close to it) so The Big Come Up is what I'd suggest. Probably my favourite is Thickfreakness though. It's got a great cover of Have Love Will Travel and is a great hard blues album (if that's even a genre <laugh> )
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Radiohead - Kid A, this is my number one album, by far!
City & Colour - Bring Me Your Love
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works: 85-92
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Blur - Parklife
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
Burial - Street Halo EP
The Cure - Disintegration

That was harder than I first thought <erk>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 pm

T.N.T. - AC/DC
Violator - Depeche Mode
Sweet Oblivion - Screaming Trees
Songs for the Deaf - Queens of The Stone Age
Doolittle - The Pixies
The Real Thing - Faith No More
52nd Street - Billy Joel
Broken - Nine Inch Nails
Tapestry - Carole King
American Fool - John Mellencamp
Permanent Shade of Blue - Roachford

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm

overseasTOON wrote:T.N.T. - AC/DC
Violator - Depeche Mode
Doolittle - The Pixies
52nd Street - Billy Joel
Broken - Nine Inch Nails
Tapestry - Carole King
<applause>

I was so close to putting that in my list, but I haven't really loved the album for that long.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I only realised quite how different this is from "list your favourite albums" when I started doing it. Some of these albums I don't listen to any more, but certainly listened the s*** out of them at one point or other and life would be worse off without them for various reasons, so in they went <diva>. Also, I'm apparently high on caffeine so did 20 <diva>.

Artur Rubinstein - 19 Chopin Nocturnes
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Kronos Quartet - Complete Schnittke String Quartets
Caravan - In The Land of Grey & Pink
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Bonobo - Animal Magic
Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic
John Coltrane - Impressions
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Claudio Arrau - Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas
Comus - First Utterance
Martha Argerich w/ Riccardo Chailly - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 3
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Dungen - Ta Det Lungt
Fela Kuti - No Agreement

I'll probably have missed something and will weep over its exclusion, despite the fact that nobody else will read this list besides myself <gent>.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Livin' Davide Loca wrote:
skalpel wrote:I only have one thing by the Black Keys and it's the collaboration they did with Ol' Dirty Bastard, Ludacris, Mos Def etc. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Since you've listed all of them there ( <laugh> ), which would be good to start with?
That'll be Blakroc that you heard!

I'd say it's best to start at the beginning (considering you're not a fan of pop and their recent stuff is going dangerously close to it) so The Big Come Up is what I'd suggest. Probably my favourite is Thickfreakness though. It's got a great cover of Have Love Will Travel and is a great hard blues album (if that's even a genre <laugh> )
Cheers <ok>!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Ryan wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:T.N.T. - AC/DC
Violator - Depeche Mode
Doolittle - The Pixies
52nd Street - Billy Joel
Broken - Nine Inch Nails
Tapestry - Carole King
<applause>

I was so close to putting that in my list, but I haven't really loved the album for that long.
It was that album that really inspired me to give the band malarkey a go even though I'd never sung before and was generally a shy and quiet person. Setting up a band basically changed my life and helped me get to grips with my shyness to make me a far more outgoing individual.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Ryan wrote:
<applause>

It was that album that really inspired me to give the band malarkey a go even though I'd never sung before and was generally a shy and quiet person. Setting up a band basically changed my life and helped me get to grips with my shyness to make me a far more outgoing individual.
Weird, it made me start a band recently too <worried>

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

In no particular order....

1. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
2. Kyte - Dead Waves
3. The Twilight Sad - Forget The Night Ahead
4. Radiohead - Kid A
5. The Cure - Disintegration
6. Longview - Mercury
7. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
8. New Order - Technique
9. Above & Beyond - Tri-state
10. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
11. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85 - 92
12. Brian Eno - Music for Airports
13. Portishead - Dummy
14. Nine Black Alps - Everything Is
15. The Jesus and The Mary Chain - Psycho Candy

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Eno <roll>.

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:35 pm

skalpel wrote:Eno <roll>.
<love>

s***, Skalpel!!!

I just remembered, I still gotta review an album for you!!!

Do me a favour, send me the link again, let me relisten to it, and I can review.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm

P.T.N wrote:
skalpel wrote:Eno <roll>.
<love>

s***, Skalpel!!!

Do me a favour, send me the link again, let me relisten to it, and I can review.
Oh yeah, s***. I totally forgot to review yours too. Can I get you it later on? I'm about to dash out!

P.T.N
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue
Piss Me Off & I Will Sue

Post by P.T.N » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:40 pm

skalpel wrote:
P.T.N wrote:
<love>

s***, Skalpel!!!

Oh yeah, s***. I totally forgot to review yours too. Can I get you it later on? I'm about to dash out!
Yeah no worries, and sod the album I gave you. I've got another one I've thought about which I you might like. Which made me remember, I still owed you a review. I'll give you all the details later!

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Since this is albums that my "life would be worse off without", these aren't necessarily going to be my favourites (I dislike a few of them now), but more albums which shaped my taste in music.
Eminem - The Eminem Show (2002)
The album which got me into rap. This would also be the start of a 3-4 year fairly focussed musical obsession with Eminem and D12.

2Pac - Loyal to the Game (2004)
Following Eminem's 'retirement' I quickly found myself needing a new fix of hip-hop. Ghetto Gospel was blaring from every radio at this time, and despite initial hostility, prolonged exposure drew me in to explore the depths of Pac's discography. Despite being a horrible album in which Eminem absolutely desecrates the original recordings of Pac, I can't thank this album enough for beginning my love of West Coast hip-hop and Pac.

Tech N9ne - Killer (2008)
After 3-4 years of listening almost solely to 2Pac material and being increasingly disillusioned with the way his recordings were being ruined on posthumous releases, I decided it was time to branch out again. One track from a massive album of Pac leaks and features stood out to me, a DJ One remix of 187 On A Hook, which featured a rapper with a flow I'd never heard anything near before, Tech N9ne. At this time he'd just released a new album, Killer, and I was away from home for 2 weeks with not much to do and new headphones. I was hooked. Shame that within 3 years he'd all but sell out.

Prozak - Tales from the Sick (2008)
Tech N9ne's independent label, Strange Music, at this time proved to have a wealth of treasures. The stand-out gems being Prozak and his duo with Mike E. Clark, Project: Deadman. Possibly my favourite album of all time. His ability to weave a story through rhyme is almost unrivalled, and he introduced me to darker, political rap.

Murs - 3:16: The 9th Edition (2004)
Another great discovery thanks to Tech N9ne. They were touring together in 2009. I decided to give him a try and I'm glad I did. An amazing West Coast rapped who shuns the gangster side of things and can craft an amazing story, as in Walk Like A Man, and tackles issues largely ignored by hip-hop, such as homophobia (the latter not on this album). Every single track on this album is a classic.

ILL BILL - The Hour of Reprisal (2008)
Yet another discovery thanks to Tech N9ne, who features on a track on this album. This is the album which got me into New York / New England underground hip-hop, and probably takes second in my list of favourite albums. An hour of perfection.

Jedi Mind Tricks - Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell (2004)
Gave this a try due to the collab track with ILL BILL, Heavy Metal Kings (which would later spawn a metal influenced rap album by the same name). Despite the lyrics at times going straying into ignorance or close-minded hatred, the overall sound and content of this album spoke to me and started yet another music love. Another thing I have to thank this album for is getting me into the supergroup Army of the Pharaohs, which is basically a collection of amazing underground rappers.

Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (1988)
Whilst browsing the tracklist for the, then upcoming, DJ Hero game I found Children's Story, which I'd somehow either never heard or paid attention to before. I was struck by its quaintness, and then drew in further once I started listening seriously and was drawn in by the seemingly effortless slick storytelling and delved into the rest of the album and then discography. The at times almost misogynistic themes and Teenage Love in particular were appreciated thanks to a break-up around that time. <roll> This helped me get into smoother rap from the 80s and 90s.

Gang Starr - Step in the Arena (1991)
Already a fan of Premier thanks to his work with several rappers I like, especially ILL BILL/Non Phixion, and given my appreciation for smooth NY/New England 90s rap, I felt it best to delve into the Gang Starr discography, which further bolstered my love of this era.

Celph Titled & Buckwild - Nineteen Ninety Now (2010)
What do you get when you cross one of the greatest punchline rappers and wordsmiths around and a crate of 90s beats? Pure excellence. I Miss Those Days.

Abdominal - Escape from the Pigeon Hole (2007)
Smooth but rapid delivery, atypical topics and a way with words that exceeds many of the so called greatest emcees out there. A very unique artist. I recommend anyone who can be arsed to read this gives him a go, and then chuck a few dollars his way http://www.indiegogo.com/abs-broken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I've gone way over the top, so will just list a few more and be done.

La Coka Nostra - A Brand You Can Trust (2010)
Everlast - White Trash Beautiful (2004)
Apathy - Honkey Kong (2011)
7L & Esoteric - Dangerous Connection (2004)
Slaine - A World With No Skies 2.0 (2011)
Non Phixion - The Future is Now (2002)
Critical Bill - Downtown the World (2007)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Hell yeah, that was an interesting read. I might redo my post to be more like that.