Music Listening Gear

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Music Listening Gear

Post by ScholarlySloth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Couldn't think of a better title.

Has anyone here got a set up they like to use for listening to music? Any audiophiles here?

To start;

I have a Sennheiser HD598 pair of headphones that are connected to a PC via a FiiO E17 Amp+DAC. I use Foobar2000 with WASAPI to play the files.
Lurker

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Music Listening Gear

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Panasonic RP-HTF600s, PC, Winamp. Got a FiiO lying around but don't use it.

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Cal wrote:Panasonic RP-HTF600s, PC, Winamp. Got a FiiO lying around but don't use it.
How do you find the headphones? I went from a Siberia V2 gaming headset and the higher sound quality was just immense.
Lurker

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm

They're my first pair of circumaurals, so can't give a proper comparison on those grounds, but much prefer them to the AKG K581DJs that preceded them. I'm not enough of an audiophile to spend more than £50 on a piece of audio equipment, especially as a good chunk of my collection is <200kbps.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:41 am

<backout>
REQUIEM

The Situation
No Thanks, I'm Full
No Thanks, I'm Full

Post by The Situation » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 am

Anyone recommend a good pair of headphones between £0-£40 that don't look ridiculous wearing outside?Got some Sennheiser headphones that I only wear inside, but only cheap phillips earphones for walking about with.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 am

The Situation wrote:Anyone recommend a good pair of headphones between £0-£40 that don't look ridiculous wearing outside?Got some Sennheiser headphones that I only wear inside, but only cheap phillips earphones for walking about with.
There's no such thing as headphones that don't look ridiculous when worn out and about...
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 am

The Situation wrote:Anyone recommend a good pair of headphones between £0-£40 that don't look ridiculous wearing outside?Got some Sennheiser headphones that I only wear inside, but only cheap phillips earphones for walking about with.
Perhaps the sennheiser 228s?
Lurker

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 am

My favourites are the Sennheiser 428HDs that I've had for a couple of years now and they're pretty great. Sound isolation is superb, frequency range is better than I thought it would be and they're more comfortable than any other Sennheisers I've had before.

I'm not an audiophile or gearhead at all, I think it gets pretty pointless beyond a certain point, but some music really does need the best frequency range and equalisation that you can work out to be enjoyed or created at its best. I guess sort of like a fine wine can be even better enjoyed when stored and prepared properly <roll>.

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 pm

skalpel wrote:My favourites are the Sennheiser 428HDs that I've had for a couple of years now and they're pretty great. Sound isolation is superb, frequency range is better than I thought it would be and they're more comfortable than any other Sennheisers I've had before.

I'm not an audiophile or gearhead at all, I think it gets pretty pointless beyond a certain point, but some music really does need the best frequency range and equalisation that you can work out to be enjoyed or created at its best. I guess sort of like a fine wine can be even better enjoyed when stored and prepared properly <roll>.
How do you find closed back headphones? I didn't know if I could deal with a smaller soundstage as that was a semi decent point of my old siberia's so didn't want to go backwards, so to speak.
Lurker

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Depends on what I'm listening to really. I use a set of speakers or my stereo system more than headphones for general listening, but if I need to work on music here in the city then closed back are really necessary. I've been writing mostly thick, bassy, lo-fi ambient over the last year too so the sort of immersion these give is perfect. Plus if I'm gonna wear headphones for general usage it's usually because I want to blow my head off with sound, so obviously that's a winner.

Bik
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Bik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Not audiophile equipment, but I've got a few Sonos Play:3s scattered around the house connected with one of their Bridge devices. Very convenient and OK sound.

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Dr Dre. Beatzzzz* <laugh>

*I do not own these
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

ScholarlySloth
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by ScholarlySloth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm

KingoStarr wrote:Dr Dre. Beatzzzz* <laugh>

*I do not own these
<disgrace>
Lurker

Paco
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by Paco » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:13 pm

As far as speaker systems go, I don't own one but the 50w Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin Air is amazing!

We have one playing at work and wow <awe>

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I have some Sennheisers with amazing sound, but the cord is really way too long, and the thing keeping it together always goes missing, so I tend to use Apple earphones, or my fake Beats earphones from Bangkok (I would never buy these for more than 10 quid, but they sound great)

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I have some Sennheisers with amazing sound, but the cord is really way too long, and the thing keeping it together always goes missing, so I tend to use Apple earphones, or my fake Beats earphones from Bangkok (I would never buy these for more than 10 quid, but they sound great)