Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Instruments

Post by skalpel » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Whitchester Mag wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Me too!
Nice one! Play much jazz?

great instrument.
I do indeed play jazz. Though less so with the trombone, I played trombone in a few groups/ensembles as a teen but haven't really kept that instrument going all that much.

ToonSi
Bruno's Bleached Tips

Post by ToonSi » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:19 am

I play guitar; acoustic and electric, bass, piano, bit of drums, synthesiser (yes it is different to piano), bongos (discovered a talent on the bongos & congos at Uni when doing music for television & we had nature/wildlife) and a little bit on the accordion. I also do a lot of sound synthesis and experimentation on Max/MSP & can record, mix & master (and produce) to professional standard (even have my own home studio that I've started to cover in acoustic padding). I also DJ!
For guitars I have a Ovation Semi, Yamaha Pacific & an Ibanez RG370DX.
I have a microkorg synth, but then have a shed load of VSTs/AUs of synths that I use as well & hoping to invest in an Aturia MiniBrute soon.
Also looking to invest in some Roland e-drums at some point soon.
I've been in a fair few bands in the past to the point where I find it better now on my own as you get to choose your own musical direction & have much more control over your music, production & overall sound. It also helps you become much more of a multi instrumentalist too!
“Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives... and to the "good life", whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.”

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Anyone got any good metally (Yes I know that's not a word) songs to play on the guitar, I'm getting a bit bored of the ones I'm playing at the minute. Preferably Ozzy Era Black Sabbath-esque
REQUIEM

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:52 pm

acid hippo wrote:
cabluigi wrote:Played Piano for about 8 years. Took up guitar properly 3 or 4 years ago and am currently in a band (although we haven't gigged in a couple of months due to an absent drummer).

I'm really not all that bothered about gear etc, I just play. I swore long ago that I wouldn't grow up to be a lonely 40 year old man, locked in the basement still trying to find the "perfect guitar tone" ;)
We found drummers an absolute nightmare to find <scratch> Came to Manchester thinking they'd all just appear, but after a year we still hadn't found a single one! Then we got offers from about 5 of them, and we still are! They're like bloody buses.

I'm nothing to do with sitting and finding the 'perfect guitar tone', I just think guitars look cool and I like them as things.

So spill, what've you got <diva>
Very late reply, but yeah, we have had about 7 drummers turn up to play in the last year! About 2 have been rubbish and unable to keep a beat, 3 have been half-arsed and flaky, and only one could gig and practice regularly, but he also was on a marine engineering course, so ended up leaving on a ship for America last month. Dunno what it is with drummers, but you couldn't make it up! <doh>

I have an SG and I love it dearly, a Fender Frontman Amp and a Zoom GNX1 Pedal, and that's about it :) Sometimes I borrow my Dad's Korean Fender Strat, but I've been converted to the way of the SG!
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Ramone wrote:Anyone got any good metally (Yes I know that's not a word) songs to play on the guitar, I'm getting a bit bored of the ones I'm playing at the minute. Preferably Ozzy Era Black Sabbath-esque
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try shredding that from 1:30+ ! :)
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

Kyle?
Banned
Banned

Post by Kyle? » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 am

cabluigi wrote:
Ramone wrote:Anyone got any good metally (Yes I know that's not a word) songs to play on the guitar, I'm getting a bit bored of the ones I'm playing at the minute. Preferably Ozzy Era Black Sabbath-esque
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try shredding that from 1:30+ ! :)
Pah, thats easy <whistle>
Gazidis Out!

Forget Giroud, sign Lewandowski

Kyle?
Banned
Banned

Post by Kyle? » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 am

acid hippo wrote:
cabluigi wrote:Played Piano for about 8 years. Took up guitar properly 3 or 4 years ago and am currently in a band (although we haven't gigged in a couple of months due to an absent drummer).

I'm really not all that bothered about gear etc, I just play. I swore long ago that I wouldn't grow up to be a lonely 40 year old man, locked in the basement still trying to find the "perfect guitar tone" ;)
We found drummers an absolute nightmare to find <scratch> Came to Manchester thinking they'd all just appear, but after a year we still hadn't found a single one! Then we got offers from about 5 of them, and we still are! They're like bloody buses.

I'm nothing to do with sitting and finding the 'perfect guitar tone', I just think guitars look cool and I like them as things.

Is your band the modern day Spinal tap? Does your amp go up to 11?
Gazidis Out!

Forget Giroud, sign Lewandowski

cabluigi
Botman's Cowl

Post by cabluigi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 pm

Kyle? wrote:
acid hippo wrote:

Is your band the modern day Spinal tap? Does your amp go up to 11?
None of them have exploded yet, it's probably a matter of time though <whistle>
I love the Gouff.

@cabluigi

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

I want to get a Rhodes piano. <scratch>

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Sun May 06, 2012 8:09 pm

This, except mine is more cream than white.

And an Epiphone Les Paul and EJ200.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon May 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Anyone own a Cello? If so, how much space do they take up. I plan to get one in the near future to learn how to play but I don't have much space.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon May 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Ammy wrote:Anyone own a Cello? If so, how much space do they take up. I plan to get one in the near future to learn how to play but I don't have much space.
With a carry case, a fair bit of space. But without a carry case then not all that much more than an acoustic guitar, maybe two acoustic guitars.

Here's some carry cases in a room for a rough size idea:

And a cello without carry case in a room:

You may be recommended to go for a 3/4 sized one for a beginner, but it's obviously up to you to choose what you want.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Mon May 07, 2012 9:27 pm

That size should be fine, cheers!

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Tue May 08, 2012 11:15 pm

I've always wanted a double bass. Probably something for the future though. Currently saving up for my next amp!
<monster>

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

I know someone who plays double bass in a band is fairly cool and removes the need for a bassist

I plan on one day mastering the Violin so I can be like Boyd Tinsley
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.

Henry Hoover
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Henry Hoover » Tue May 15, 2012 8:49 pm

[youtube]CVOKvdUO-ek[/youtube]

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Bought a really old electric guitar today <laugh>, i fell in love with it soon as i saw it, its a red Marlin Sidewinder, fantastic condition considering its 26/27 years old, i have high hopes it actually works, gotta try it out tonight, i cant play guitar yet but im trying to force myself into learning, set me back £15, so not a huge gamble if it doesn't work out, plus its heavy as f*** so i can save on a gym membership <laugh>

Acid Hippo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Acid Hippo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Papisto wrote:Bought a really old electric guitar today <laugh>, i fell in love with it soon as i saw it, its a red Marlin Sidewinder, fantastic condition considering its 26/27 years old, i have high hopes it actually works, gotta try it out tonight, i cant play guitar yet but im trying to force myself into learning, set me back £15, so not a huge gamble if it doesn't work out, plus its heavy as f*** so i can save on a gym membership <laugh>
while they're not exactly the best quality guitars, they're meant to be pretty much indestructible, or so I've heard, so Im sure it probably will work! 15 quid is a great price really. i hardly ever see them about anymore.
<monster>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Hooked it up today, SHE LIVES!!!!!! <divadance>