Your Own Music

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Your Own Music

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:50 pm

[Split from Theme of the Fortnight] If you've written any of your own music before, or played live somewhere, discuss it or post it here!

- - - - - -

Not much of an authority on ambient skalpel but I liked your effort. <gent> Have you written alot and is ambient your thang, composing wise?

The Satie piece is class!

Mifune - can't go wrong with a bit of Tindersticks! <ok>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Theme of the Fortnight

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Not much of an authority on ambient skalpel but I liked your effort. <gent> Have you written alot and is ambient your thang, composing wise?

Satie <awe>.

I'm not sure, really. I've never actually released any of the ambient music I wrote, but I certainly wrote more of it than anything else. I wrote and recorded jazz which gained some actual publicity and use (and a miniscule but dedicated fan base <roll>), and can be found easily around the internet now. So I guess that's my 'thing' when it comes to writing music.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Not much of an authority on ambient skalpel but I liked your effort. <gent> Have you written alot and is ambient your thang, composing wise?

Satie <awe>.

I'm not sure, really. I've never actually released any of the ambient music I wrote, but I certainly wrote more of it than anything else. I wrote and recorded jazz which gained some actual publicity and use (and a miniscule but dedicated fan base <roll>), and can be found easily around the internet now. So I guess that's my 'thing' when it comes to writing music.
What is your jazz stage name? Be interested in listening to some if I can find it. :)

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:What is your jazz stage name? Be interested in listening to some if I can find it. :)
Somnambulist Quintet (oddly fitting with the theme of the fortnight).

You'll find loads online posted up by fans (<smug>) and a lot of it is mislabelled stuff, some of it garbage that I wrote with other projects or wrote years earlier. But I'm still quite pleased with the last release from 2010 though, which is called The Big Sleep. Here's two tracks from that: Aon, Blackfriars. Feel free to google more. If you're not a fan of jazz (which I seem to remember you aren't) then you might struggle with the first half of Aon, which is pretty avant-garde.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:31 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:What is your jazz stage name? Be interested in listening to some if I can find it. :)

You'll find loads online posted up by fans (<smug>) and a lot of it is mislabelled stuff, some of it garbage that I wrote with other projects or wrote years earlier. But I'm still quite pleased with the last release from 2010 though, which is called The Big Sleep. Here's two tracks from that: Aon, Blackfriars. Feel free to google more. If you're not a fan of jazz (which I seem to remember you aren't) then you might struggle with the first half of Aon, which is pretty avant-garde.
Next time you are in the north, you should come play parr jazz in Liverpool http://www.parrjazz.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <awe>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:Next time you are in the north, you should come play parr jazz in Liverpool http://www.parrjazz.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <awe>
Looks like a great venue, got their Listen page running now and they clearly get some good bands in there. I'll have to drop in and check it out when I'm next in Liverpool <awe>.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:45 pm

skalpel wrote:
Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:Next time you are in the north, you should come play parr jazz in Liverpool http://www.parrjazz.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <awe>
Looks like a great venue, got their Listen page running now and they clearly get some good bands in there. I'll have to drop in and check it out when I'm next in Liverpool <awe>.
I liked to old venue better, but it's decent still. The quality and genre of acts is very variable. Some of the newer 'cool' jazz acts can be woeful, but there's been some brilliant acts I've never heard of.
After the two headline sets there's a jam where some of the regulars play, either with the house band or the guests. Can be really good.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
skalpel wrote:
I liked to old venue better, but it's decent still. The quality and genre of acts is very variable. Some of the newer 'cool' jazz acts can be woeful, but there's been some brilliant acts I've never heard of.
After the two headline sets there's a jam where some of the regulars play, either with the house band or the guests. Can be really good.
Fantastic. There was a similar sort setup in my favourite place in Prague too. Band setlist followed by jam with whoever happened to have brought an instrument with them. I'll definitely go there, it seems like the best place I've heard of in the city.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

skalpel wrote:

Brilliant skalps! <applause>

You are right i'm not a fan of free jazz but if your recall when you introduced me to the band who stole your name I found that I liked their brand of acid jazz. And I can see strong similarities with your music. I can see why you liked skalpel enough to pick it as your name on here.

Blackfriars is fantastic. Loved the sort of warped sound that came in at about 1.50 (almost like it reverses on itself) which became the centre of a sort of building rhythm, lovely sax joining in from 2.30 and then building in a slow crescendo only to suddenly stop, gentle piano, solo double bass (loved that bit) and then drum beat to join it to a finish. Class! <gent>

Aon was good too. You are right there were a few bits in the first half which were a bit too flighty for my taste but it settled more into my sort of thang as it progressed.

Gonna listen to some more now. You have a fan called Milo Zabal who has loaded loads of your pieces on youtube. <laugh>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Brilliant skalps! <applause>

You are right i'm not a fan of free jazz but if your recall when you introduced me to the band who stole your name I found that I liked their brand of acid jazz. And I can see strong similarities with your music. I can see why you liked skalpel enough to pick it as your name on here.

Blackfriars is fantastic. Loved the sort of warped sound that came in at about 1.50 (almost like it reverses on itself) which became the centre of a sort of building rhythm, lovely sax joining in from 2.30 and then building in a slow crescendo only to suddenly stop, gentle piano, solo double bass (loved that bit) and then drum beat to join it to a finish. Class! <gent>

Aon was good too. You are right there were a few bits in the first half which were a bit too flighty for my taste but it settled more into my sort of thang as it progressed.

Gonna listen to some more now. You have a fan called Milo Zabal who has loaded loads of your pieces on youtube. <laugh>
Thanks very much <awe>. Yeah I was pretty pleased with the execution of the second half of Blackfriars, I've always fancied performing it live at some point but never have.

And yeah, this stuff seems to mostly have a following in Eastern Europe and especially Russia which is cool. They have more of a taste for that sort of music there I guess. Incidentally, Skalpel were Polish so I guess that makes sense.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:07 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Brilliant skalps! <applause>

Thanks very much <awe>. Yeah I was pretty pleased with the execution of the second half of Blackfriars, I've always fancied performing it live at some point but never have.

And yeah, this stuff seems to mostly have a following in Eastern Europe and especially Russia which is cool. They have more of a taste for that sort of music there I guess. Incidentally, Skalpel were Polish so I guess that makes sense.
Got good taste obviously those Eastern Europeans. Indeed I know skalpel quite well now, have their eponymous and Konfusion albums and play them a fair bit.

Not just saying this but I think Blackfriars is better than anything I have heard on either of their albums. You still writing?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:Got good taste obviously those Eastern Europeans. Indeed I know skalpel quite well now, have their eponymous and Konfusion albums and play them a fair bit.

Not just saying this but I think Blackfriars is better than anything I have heard on either of their albums. You still writing?
Thanks very much, that's a very big compliment. I've not written any music in years now, but I've still got loads of unreleased stuff knocking about the place, some finished and some unfinished. The reason I stopped writing SQ stuff is because I felt I'd taken the idea as far as it could go with the last release. In 2011 I moved to work on ambient, intending to release a double album. I got a label offer for it, but in the end I sort of broke away from music for some reason and I've only have sporadic bursts here and there since.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:31 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Got good taste obviously those Eastern Europeans. Indeed I know skalpel quite well now, have their eponymous and Konfusion albums and play them a fair bit.

Thanks very much, that's a very big compliment. I've not written any music in years now, but I've still got loads of unreleased stuff knocking about the place, some finished and some unfinished. The reason I stopped writing SQ stuff is because I felt I'd taken the idea as far as it could go with the last release. In 2011 I moved to work on ambient, intending to release a double album. I got a label offer for it, but in the end I sort of broke away from music for some reason and I've only have sporadic bursts here and there since.
Good enough reason. I have no talent for music but if I did i'd want to try different genres rather than sticking with one type/genre.

A cousin of mine did the same thing. Was in a few bands that almost got there or were semi-successful but then just got fed up with it when it felt like just another job instead of a hobby. He just does DJ'ing now.

Edit: Torchlight, Dead Air and Preparation Waltz all <diva> btw. Still going through them all.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:53 pm

Haha, awesome <awe>. Some of it is amateurish garbage though. Someone somehow got hold of some really old unreleased stuff/mess abouts and shoved it under the SQ name and it spread around the internet, much to my chagrin.

Yeah, I can sympathise with your cousin. Once expectations weigh down (mostly your own self expectation) and you find making your music is becoming a workmanlike sort of process, it's time to try something new and get the pleasure back.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Re: Your Own Music

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Making a thread just for us to praise you <disgrace>

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:03 pm

I think you'll find I both saved one thread and opened a new one to celebrate everyone's music <wenger>

<kray>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:16 pm

What a t***
REQUIEM

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)