Dexter

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Re: Dexter

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am

Why can't this just be crazy like it looked like it would be in the transition between seasons? <wah> <grr>

Also stop trying to humanise people, and why is the new guy trying to be a comic relief character. <mob>
SpoilerShow
Well I guess that twist is a touch more interesting. No doubt they'll ruin it too.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah this season is getting increasingly disappointing after what promised to be an explosive finale :(.
SpoilerShow
At least the annoying kid is dead <diva>

Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Little Lion Man » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:14 am

That was probably the best episode for a while :)
SpoilerShow
Although I knew the brain surgeon (or whatever he/she is called) would be back. Hopefully it might start to pick up and give the show a worthy ending!

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Le wilde un » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 am

I just can't believe how bad this is.

In a corner? Cut to ghost dad. It's exposition central and I couldn't care less about ANY of the characters. What do the writers want us to want? It's difficult to know, and that just shows how bad this is.

It's been obvious since the start that
SpoilerShow
Vogel is the Brain Surgeon
and the only reason I'm still watching is to see how badly they manage to mess everything up.

What the hell happened to this show?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2jP9OMVI8

"Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay."

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:02 am

SpoilerShow
Looks like we're going to a slightly different cliché than it looked to be going to.

Also I want magic software than in seconds turns a photo of a kid x years older with one click hair colour changes and facial hair, which then can match as 97% likely to be the same person as a contemporary photo. <awe>

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Le wilde un » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm

I actually did some looking and found http://www.aprilage.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you have to pay for it though, so sod that.
SpoilerShow
It's getting even worse as the weeks and episodes go on. It's a chore to watch it.

"Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay."

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:00 am

A nice summary of how people expected/hoped this season would be compared to how it has gone so far.
SpoilerShow
At the end of last season, I thought Deb murdering LaGuerta was the 'Hank on the toilet' moment of Dexter and it was all going to be a rollercoaster from there on out. I thought this season was going to consist of:

• Miami Metro freaking out about the murder of LaGuerta and doing a thorough investigation, complete with suspensful episodes where Deb and Dexter almost and maybe eventually get caught, maybe even just Deb taking the fall
• Batista coming out of retirement and getting all Deathwish trying to find LaGuerta's murderer
• Deb and Dexter meltdowns and paranoia, maybe an eventual sex scene
• The unwinding of Dexter leading to a satisfying, powerful conclusion

Instead, the following far-fetched shark-jumping scooby doo **** has ensued:

• Batista is back at Metro for no real reason and Deb quit and is now Deb the bounty hunter, and she's doing coke now and banging the guy she's hunting until Dexter just straight up kills him while Harrison's in the car.
• Meanwhile, there's another new serial killer in Miami who does artsy s*** with corpses. This brings us Vogel, who they introduce at Miami Metro just so you'll think she's a threat to Dexter for a minute, but really she just needs his help killing the Brain Surgeon, who she doesn't know is actually her own son who faked his own death a long time ago.
• The Brain Surgeon has traveled back to America in his mid 40's and is killing his mom's old patients and leaving her brain chunk valentines instead of just calling her.
• Dexter can't find the Brain Surgeon, but kills 2 of her old patients along the way, one of whom is a cannibal and the other one is a serial killer got so mad that Dexter was following him, he kidnapped Vogel and almost cut her toes off but luckily Dexter killed him with his mattress spear right in front of Deb and Vogel. He also had a f***ing scar on his head that matched the Brain Surgeon head cut thing. Why not.
• Quinn's still around, but now he's banging Batista's sister. He's also on the hunt for a new murderer in Miami, this time it's a mini Dexter and also happens to be one of Vogel's patients, Zach Hamilton.
• Deb spirals out of control and drives Dexter and herself into a lake and decides to save him. We never see any consequence for this action.
• Dexter starts hunting Zach at the same time as Quinn, and they even catch each other stalking him at the same time. Dexter is about to kill Zach but then decides instead of killing him, he'll teach him his f***ing code and they'll be little killers together. He spends about 7 minutes a year with his real son, but why not take on this little Zach guy. It'll be a fun little side project.
• There is also a multiple episode arc where Masuka has a long lost daughter from donating sperm and he does a background check on her, she finds out, he sees her t***, she calls him 'dad' and he gives her a job in the lab.
• Deb and Dex reconcile, and eat some food together. Food that has been poisoned at some point by Hannah McKay.
• Hannah is back in Miami, she wants to make sure Dexter won't turn her in, and needs Dexter's help but instead of using words, she drugs Dexter and Deb and dumps him on the side of the road, naturally.
• In one episode, we learn that Hannah is now not only out of prison, but married to a millionaire. She kills him in the same episode and Dexter helps her dump the body. Oh and Deb saw them.
• Back to the Brain Surgeon, Vogel's son. He's been stalking Vogel and Dexter, in whatever free time he has from working and trying to seriously date Dexter's neighbor Cassie only to end up killing her. Someone also took the time of putting Zach Hamilton's blood under her nails which they collected from his door handle.
• Dexter and Hannah are now totally in love again even though she wasn't really mentioned in any of the first 6 episodes. They go on a little getaway to find Zach. It turns out Zach's innocent.
• Deb followed them on that journey to arrest Hannah. She finds them in a plastic covered room with Zach Hamilton. Hannah tells Deb, who she poisoned a few days ago to go away because she loves Dex. Deb just decides 'f*** it' and bails.
• Dexter, Hannah and Zach go have dinner with Vogel. Dexter takes Hannah home, bangs her in his socks and then returns to his apartment where he finds Zach minus some of his head. Vogel's son did this in keeping with his "saw off part of my mom's patients' heads" gag that he does. He left the corpse in Dexter's apartment because he hates Dexter for some reason.
• Hannah and Deb are BFF's now and Hannah is hiding in Deb's apartment of all places while Deb's boss is hunting for Hannah. Makes sense.
• Whenever the Brain Surgeon came to kill Zach, during the struggle Zach managed to somehow meticulously place a large chunk of DNA right under his desk. Dexter places the DNA in his computer, types 'enhance' and we find out that the Brain Surgeon is Vogel's son. Now Vogel doesn't want to kill him, she wants to meet up with him and hang.
• Dexter decides he wants to move away with Harrison and Hannah, but he's gonna kill Oliver Daniel Saxon Vogel first, who is chilling at home with Vogel now.
It's insanity. I didn't think this far into the show, he'd still be walking into work and carrying on normally. There's so many reasons for s*** to be hitting the fan and it's not happening in any way we should care about. My favorite moments in Dexter were always when it seemed like he might get caught, like when he was watching the news about the Bay Harbor Butcher, or when Quinn or Doakes would be tracking him, etc. I was thinking this season would be filled with that kind of thing. But he's clubbing with Zach Hamilton and walking around in pastel colors with his fugitive girlfriend whose millionaire husband was just murdered. It's a bummer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Dexter/comments ... ne/cbwmb82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also a season 7 spoiler about a cut plot line that might have actually been interesting.
SpoilerShow
Louis Greene, the programmer lab intern who stole evidence, was intended to become a copycat killer, but the actor wanted out and Michael C. Hall didn't think it would be believable to have two serial killers in the department so used his power to help kill it off.

If that was slowly developed through season 7 and he became the big bad of season 8 and potentially Dexter's downfall, that could have actually been interesting.

It also turns out that Isaac Sirko's plotline was cut short because the actor had a schedule conflict with upcoming films. <neg>

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Le wilde un » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 am

Schedule conflicts happen a lot more than you think. It's surprising how often an actor has to leave a show earlier than intended.

It's no excuse. The writers take the blame for this travesty.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:41 am

SpoilerShow
One less annoying 'character'. <divadance> And the threads are coming together, even if in the most ungratifying ways possible, plus yet another 'Dexter surely must go crazy now' cliff hanger! <diva>

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 pm

It feels like just the end of a season, rather than the end of the series :(.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 am

SpoilerShow
Finally some s*** goes down even if in silly circumstances. One more episode and it's all over, at long last.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm

SpoilerShow
Who the f*** did the Marshal not know what a known futigide looked like <wenger>. Apart from that it was a decent episode. If this had been just a normal season then it would of been pretty good, but because it is the very last season it has been a bit of a disappointment.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Mifune wrote:
SpoilerShow
Who the f*** did the Marshal not know what a known futigide looked like <wenger>. Apart from that it was a decent episode. If this had been just a normal season then it would of been pretty good, but because it is the very last season it has been a bit of a disappointment.
It's been s****.

Little Lion Man
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Little Lion Man » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 pm

SpoilerShow
Best episode of the season - although that isn't saying much. As serial killer-ish as it sounds, I much preferred Dexter when he wasn't 'in love' & actually killed people instead of just stopping halfway <disgrace>
I managed to avoid the stupid teaser they do at the end of the episode which normally makes it quite obvious what is going to happen next <grr>

Le wilde un
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Le wilde un » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:19 am

I'm running out of ways to describe how AWFUL this show is. Can't believe that these are the same writers who wrote 1,2 and 4. The problem is that they love Dexter and that they've stretched a five series run over eight.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:33 am

I guess that means the showrunner/writer who ran from halfway through season 1 to the end of 4 made a lot of difference. He did an AMA on reddit the other day - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1mkv67/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:27 am

Well, thank f*** that's over.

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:13 pm

What a s*** ending <laugh>

Clyde Phillips (season 1-4 guy who did the AMA) alternate ending sounds better :
SpoilerShow
"In the very last scene of the series, Dexter wakes up," Phillips explained. "And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream', and then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realise, 'No, it's not a dream'.

"Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery, and in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed."

Phillips revealed that many of Dexter's direct and indirect victims - including the Trinity Killer (John Lithgow), Doakes (Erik King) and LaGuerta - would all return to haunt him.

"Everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies," he said.

"Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

However, Phillips - who left Dexter after season four - added that he thought the current production team "did a good job with the final episode".

"I chose not to stay with the show, and so everybody did what they did, and I had no problem with that," he insisted.

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Post by Mifune » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 pm

SpoilerShow
I thought the ending was good considering what the rest of this season has been like. I was pretty pissed off when they Dark Knight Rises it, but I think the very last shot was really really good and saved it. I also really liked how his last kill (that we know of) was Deb, that was very well done, and sad <cry>. I do like Clyde Phillips' ending better though because that is how I really wanted it to end all along.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Started watching last week on Netflix <awe>

Best show I've got into in ages so far. I'm only at the end of season 1 though
Last edited by Duke on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dunno