The Walking Dead.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Re: The Walking Dead.

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:51 pm

I enjoyed last season, in fact Ive enjoyed them all. It just seems to get better and better. Can't wait for the next episode tomorrow <awe>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 pm

I only started watching this a few weeks ago and have just finished series 3. I'm enjoying it but can't help feeling i'd like it more if I could buy the basic premise of the zombie takeover.

Unlike the WWZ or 28 days later zombies I don't find these shambling, slow moving creatures credible as something that could take over like this. Even kids and non-combatant women can take them out pretty easily so how are we supposed to believe they could take down national armed forces.

I'm just having to suspend belief more than I would like really. Still well worth watching though.

Lidl
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by Lidl » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:I only started watching this a few weeks ago and have just finished series 3. I'm enjoying it but can't help feeling i'd like it more if I could buy the basic premise of the zombie takeover.

Unlike the WWZ or 28 days later zombies I don't find these shambling, slow moving creatures credible as something that could take over like this. Even kids and non-combatant women can take them out pretty easily so how are we supposed to believe they could take down national armed forces.

I'm just having to suspend belief more than I would like really. Still well worth watching though.
The amount of silent ninja zombies is ridiculous as well. Because they made them slow that's pretty much the only way anybody dies, despite the fact the zombies are generally quite loud.
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:35 pm

SpoilerShow
On the show its been said literally everyone in the world is infected by the "zombie virus" you become a zombie when you die unless you have been shot in the head decapitated ect, being bitten just speeds up the process, take into account how many people die due to natural causes and other ways the numbers add up, people wouldnt have that much time to figure out what to do, the military would have to deal with mass panic as well as the threat.

Also im not 100% but im sure its also implied some people died because of the virus and their body not being able to cope with the 1st phase, which would be the initial infection.

Also season 4 spoiler
SpoilerShow
there is a flu outbreak and coupled with the zombie virus already present in everyone the flu has a high mortality rate and decimates over half the survivors
Edit* Apparently in USA there are 6000 deaths a day normally with out an epidemic take into account deaths by zombies and it adds up fast.

Also Its pretty interesting to read up on, some disease organisations they have done studies into a virus outbreak conforming to similar rules of zombie transmission and it pretty scary how quickly a pandemic virus like that can spread.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:31 am

I've spoilered your whole post, considering that the thing you open with and use as your base is a big reveal.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 am

Cabella The Redeemer wrote: Edit* Apparently in USA there are 6000 deaths a day normally with out an epidemic take into account deaths by zombies and it adds up fast.

Also Its pretty interesting to read up on, some disease organisations they have done studies into a virus outbreak conforming to similar rules of zombie transmission and it pretty scary how quickly a pandemic virus like that can spread.
We're about to find out with Ebola <worried>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am

Cal wrote:I've spoilered your whole post, considering that the thing you open with and use as your base is a big reveal.
Okies, i was gonna spoiler it but i was certain it was season 1 which it was revealed.
Micky Quim wrote:
Cabella The Redeemer wrote: Edit* Apparently in USA there are 6000 deaths a day normally with out an epidemic take into account deaths by zombies and it adds up fast.

We're about to find out with Ebola <worried>
not to be a conspiracy theory nut, but i wouldn't put it past governments to hype up an outbreak in USA and Europe, just like they did with bird flu and swine flu, fear is a great control method.

ThrillerinAsprilla
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by ThrillerinAsprilla » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:19 am

SpoilerShow
Morgan's Alive!!!!

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:49 pm

Cabella The Redeemer wrote: not to be a conspiracy theory nut, but i wouldn't put it past governments to hype up an outbreak in USA and Europe, just like they did with bird flu and swine flu, fear is a great control method.
Eh?! Ha ha ha! Are you joking?? <worried>

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:58 pm

ThrillerinAsprilla wrote:
SpoilerShow
Morgan's Alive!!!!
SpoilerShow
Genuinely don't remember who that guy is. <erk>

Edit - Figured it out. The guy from the beginning who went insane.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:21 pm

SpoilerShow
So they spend pretty much half a season building up Terminus as if it is going to be a major event, to have it resolved in one episode. <urgh>
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Dr. Bishop wrote:
SpoilerShow
So they spend pretty much half a season building up Terminus as if it is going to be a major event, to have it resolved in one episode. <urgh>
SpoilerShow
I doubt its resolved, i think its highly likely the crazy woman and guy are still alive and will come back at the group, they are basically ricks group in terms of determination but their experiences have turned them into brutal psychopaths, my prediction is this will carry on till mid season then next half will be all about DC and the cure.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Cabella The Redeemer wrote:
SpoilerShow
On the show its been said literally everyone in the world is infected by the "zombie virus" you become a zombie when you die unless you have been shot in the head decapitated ect, being bitten just speeds up the process, take into account how many people die due to natural causes and other ways the numbers add up, people wouldnt have that much time to figure out what to do, the military would have to deal with mass panic as well as the threat.

Also im not 100% but im sure its also implied some people died because of the virus and their body not being able to cope with the 1st phase, which would be the initial infection.

Also season 4 spoiler
SpoilerShow
there is a flu outbreak and coupled with the zombie virus already present in everyone the flu has a high mortality rate and decimates over half the survivors
Edit* Apparently in USA there are 6000 deaths a day normally with out an epidemic take into account deaths by zombies and it adds up fast.

Sorry for slow reply CtR been away for a few days.
SpoilerShow
I'd picked up on the virus killing many as well. My issue is more that at some point in series 2 Shane (I think?) tells Rick that about half the population were lost to the initial outbreak. Which I admit would have caused massive problems for the other half. But judging by the main group's survival record I struggle to see how even that size of an outbreak couldn't have been contained. I haven't worked it out but going by the first 3 series I reckon (off the top of my head) that the survivors have killed more than 50 walkers for each survivor and lost no more than half their number.

Assuming that their group is fairly representative I see no reason why the 50% walkers wouldn't be dealt with quite easily, after all technically each survivor only has to kill one walker to keep the numbers even and they are killing way more than that. And having learned the lesson the remaining survivors would know how to deal with anybody who dies of natural causes so few new ones should arise.

Added to that, look at the damage done to the walkers in the prison field by the HMG on top of the Humvee when the Governor attacked. Imagine an Armoured Division of US Soldiers all armed to the teeth, driving around in those humvee's and tanks with attack helicopter and jet fighter support. Division's have between 15 and 20 thousand soldiers depending on the country. No way an infantry division could be defeated by those slow moving zombies, even accounting for having to deal with half their number becoming zombies themselves.

Just can't buy the threat of a zombie which is such an ineffective hunter it would effectively be at the bottom of the food chain. Even the domestic dogs who now need food would be forming packs and hunting them down. And the zombies would be incapable of feeding off of wildlife because they have no chance of catching anything. Once they have finished domestic farm stock (cows/sheep etc) who would be the only animals they could likely sneak up on they would be on a slow spiral into starvation and body failure. Even zombies must need some form of energy to run on.

Sorry to take it to anal levels, but I just don't find it credible. But my suspension of disbelief is functioning highly enough that i'm enjoying watching it anyway.

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Dr. Bishop wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
I doubt its resolved, i think its highly likely the crazy woman and guy are still alive and will come back at the group, they are basically ricks group in terms of determination but their experiences have turned them into brutal psychopaths, my prediction is this will carry on till mid season then next half will be all about DC and the cure.
SpoilerShow
Even if it isn't resolved fully, I still think the episode was ruined by the fact nothing within the group has changed. You build up Terminus for half a season and then end the season with the group being captured, only for every single one of them to get out unscathed during the culmination of that build up. Really? Hell it didn't even need anyone of the group dying, there could have been another survivor who joined the group. Anything to change the dynamics.

DT talks about how the slow mundane zombies lack credibility, but I think the biggest problem with the show is that the living 'bad guys' lack credibility and that a core group of actors just seem to have the most ridiculous luck ever. How many main characters within the group have died at the hands of a 'bad guy'? Only Herschel springs to mind, with the Governor beheading him.
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:05 pm

Is it worth watching the new season?

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Post by beardface » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Dr. Bishop wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
Even if it isn't resolved fully, I still think the episode was ruined by the fact nothing within the group has changed. You build up Terminus for half a season and then end the season with the group being captured, only for every single one of them to get out unscathed during the culmination of that build up. Really? Hell it didn't even need anyone of the group dying, there could have been another survivor who joined the group. Anything to change the dynamics.
SpoilerShow
This. The reason I was excited for the new season was to see them locked in Terminus. <urgh>

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:14 pm

SpoilerShow
Personally I'm glad they're not stuck in Terminus for a while. They could've dragged it out similar to the prison or Herschel's farm and that would've been boring.
REQUIEM

TheLittleGeordie
Incestuous Banter Runner Up
Incestuous Banter Runner Up

Post by TheLittleGeordie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Cal wrote:Is it worth watching the new season?
The opening episode was one of the best they've ever done i think
Like a seahorse in the night, he rides with haste to his beloved's domain.

He is the silent guardian, the practical idealist, the man of peace prepared for war.

He is a Mackem.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 am

Dr. Bishop wrote:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

DT talks about how the slow mundane zombies lack credibility, but I think the biggest problem with the show is that the living 'bad guys' lack credibility and that a core group of actors just seem to have the most ridiculous luck ever. How many main characters within the group have died at the hands of a 'bad guy'? Only Herschel springs to mind, with the Governor beheading him.
SpoilerShow
Terminus survivors will play a big part if the story is going where i think it is, also the army guys got added last season, you cant have too many main survivors around at the same time, also you have to remember this is the first episode, its literally following straight on from last season so there isnt really any realistic progression they can make with the group, also its easy to forget, the soldier group havent met half the survivors properly so that will progress over the next few episodes.

on your second point, a lot of deaths have been caused by the bad guys, the prisoner who lured the walkers in, gov left Andrea to die, shot the last prison survivor during the assault, so far the only main bad guy we have had is the governor, i cant say too much without a spoiler but i think the terminus survivors will for another group that is from the comics, also there is supposed to be another bad guy coming in and is hinted at by the church scenes in the trailers, cant go into it too much without it being future spoilers
Donkey Toon wrote:
SpoilerShow

Also season 4 spoiler
SpoilerShow

Sorry for slow reply CtR been away for a few days.
SpoilerShow
I'd picked up on the virus killing many as well. My issue is more that at some point in series 2 Shane (I think?) tells Rick that about half the population were lost to the initial outbreak. Which I admit would have caused massive problems for the other half. But judging by the main group's survival record I struggle to see how even that size of an outbreak couldn't have been contained. I haven't worked it out but going by the first 3 series I reckon (off the top of my head) that the survivors have killed more than 50 walkers for each survivor and lost no more than half their number.

Assuming that their group is fairly representative I see no reason why the 50% walkers wouldn't be dealt with quite easily, after all technically each survivor only has to kill one walker to keep the numbers even and they are killing way more than that. And having learned the lesson the remaining survivors would know how to deal with anybody who dies of natural causes so few new ones should arise.

Added to that, look at the damage done to the walkers in the prison field by the HMG on top of the Humvee when the Governor attacked. Imagine an Armoured Division of US Soldiers all armed to the teeth, driving around in those humvee's and tanks with attack helicopter and jet fighter support. Division's have between 15 and 20 thousand soldiers depending on the country. No way an infantry division could be defeated by those slow moving zombies, even accounting for having to deal with half their number becoming zombies themselves.

Just can't buy the threat of a zombie which is such an ineffective hunter it would effectively be at the bottom of the food chain. Even the domestic dogs who now need food would be forming packs and hunting them down. And the zombies would be incapable of feeding off of wildlife because they have no chance of catching anything. Once they have finished domestic farm stock (cows/sheep etc) who would be the only animals they could likely sneak up on they would be on a slow spiral into starvation and body failure. Even zombies must need some form of energy to run on.

Sorry to take it to anal levels, but I just don't find it credible. But my suspension of disbelief is functioning highly enough that i'm enjoying watching it anyway.
SpoilerShow
The survivors have the benefit of surviving and having t he chance to learn how to fight them, the initial outbreak happened over a short period, basically during ricks coma in season 1, the military would have had a hard job on their hands suddenly having to fight half the population, and to be fair its shown the military are still out there, there was a group that was ambushed by the governors group and im sure jets bombed Atlanta around season one time period also there was a helicopter that crashed in season 3. another point is that we only see a small area of america, the survivors are still pretty close to atlanta though its not made clear, (you can find maps online of the walking dead world so far)

ThrillerinAsprilla
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by ThrillerinAsprilla » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

SpoilerShow
The story will progress with Gabriel and i'm sure we'll see the return of Beth in the next few episodes