Sherlock (BBC)

beardface
Shola-esque
Shola-esque

Re: Sherlock (BBC)

Post by beardface » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 am

AbsolutelyGlorious wrote:
SpoilerShow
I doubt Moriarty's back, it was probably set up by Sherlock because he knew it was the only way he could get away with murder. He knew he had to kill Magnussen because he made sure Watson had that gun in his jacket before they left.
That'd be another massive cop out by Moffat & Co. <awe>
SpoilerShow
Not that I want Moriarty back. To have him back after just 1 season out seems ridiculous to me.

Southern Mag
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Southern Mag » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:31 pm

AG I think you're spot on there
'He who enlists a man's mind wields a power even greater than the sword or the scepter' - Heilbroner, Robert L.

tdw92
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by tdw92 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Has anything been released to suggest when the next series will be on? I hope its not another two years! Can't wait that long again!

Southern Mag
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Southern Mag » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 pm

tdw92 wrote:Has anything been released to suggest when the next series will be on? I hope its not another two years! Can't wait that long again!
Read somewhere that they want to start filming as soon as Martin & Bennedict are finished with the Hobbit
'He who enlists a man's mind wields a power even greater than the sword or the scepter' - Heilbroner, Robert L.

DarrasHallStalker
Wood's Touch

Post by DarrasHallStalker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Do yourselves a favour and read the books. Sherlock holmes as a best man, i nearly shat meself. Preposterous.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:13 pm

DarrasHallStalker wrote:Do yourselves a favour and read the books. Sherlock holmes as a best man, i nearly shat meself. Preposterous.
From the first episode they've taken liberties, it's not trying to be Sherlock Holmes from the book. It's more loosely based upon that. His character is very different. In the books he's completely different, and has considerably more social skills when he chooses to.
I had the first custom w***

DarrasHallStalker
Wood's Touch

Post by DarrasHallStalker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes pal, writing on the wall when they called the first one 'study in pink' in case your average square eyes didn't know what scarlet is. Still gets people interested.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Recently watched all of series one and series two on the constant encouragement of a friend. I liked a few of the modern takes of the old stories, but it seemed gimmicky most of the time. Loads of modern detective shows replicate old Holmes stories anyway, so I'm not entirely sure why a show set in the 21st century about an autistic jester and his grey flunky has to be called Sherlock Holmes when it has next to nothing else in common with the books. Rename the characters and they'd have gotten away with an unrelated title without many complaints.

On its own merit though it still doesn't even seem as good as, say, Luther. I can't see what all the fuss is about <worried>.

B4E
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by B4E » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:30 pm

I just like it because it's not a series that relies on a binge watch. You can watch one episode and feel content, whereas most series want you to basically watch a whole season in one go.
RIP

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:46 am

You should still watch series three though skalps

(Just because I want to hear your critique <roll>)

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 am

It's fun light hearted Shlock that is sometimes thinks it's more clever than it is. People rave on about it too much but I enjoy it
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 am

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:It's fun light hearted Shlock that is sometimes thinks it's more clever than it is. People rave on about it too much but I enjoy it
Heh, nice.

Yeah I basically agree with this. It's not a grossly offensive show, and it's interesting that the episodes are about film length. But Cumberbatch's performance is annoying, particularly the repetitive hyper-fast cold reading and subsequent verbal blowjob by everyone in earshot wore very thin after episode one. And, as you say, it's not as clever as its swaggering would have us believe.
Beatski wrote:You should still watch series three though skalps

(Just because I want to hear your critique <roll>)
I refuse <fist>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 am

I actually thought the Guy Richie film tried to do something more original and interesting than this TV show. Focussing on the parts of the book where it says Sherlock overpowered people, without saying how. The idea many people had of Sherlock, the uppity stoic gent was from the 60s and 70s tv versions, was ambitious to challenge this. Again it was a silly bit of fun, but enjoyable
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012