Films everyone seems to like but you dont...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Re: Films everyone seems to like but you dont...

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
Pull the Arfa One wrote:Pretty sure most people hate Steve Martin movies
Recently he's been in some rubbish but The Jerk / Planes, Trains and Automobiles are canny
This.

The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid were both quite good as well. His later stuff awful though. The Pink Panther remake was a crime against cinema.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote: Recently he's been in some rubbish but The Jerk / Planes, Trains and Automobiles are canny
This.

The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid were both quite good as well. His later stuff awful though. The Pink Panther remake was a crime against cinema.
Oh God I'd forgotten about that <disgrace>
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote: Recently he's been in some rubbish but The Jerk / Planes, Trains and Automobiles are canny
This.

I tend to think that all remakes are a crime against cinema.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:23 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:
This.

Absolutely. Struggling to think of a remake that was better than or even close to being as good as original? <scratch>

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Gravity <wenger>
Braveheart as well

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:05 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
overseasTOON wrote:
Absolutely. Struggling to think of a remake that was better than or even close to being as good as original? <scratch>
Scarface <ok>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 pm

I tend to give more leeway to remakes across languages if they have some impenetrable cultural differences that can be removed, but aren't key to the plot. Then again there's the Let the Right One In/Let Me In type remakes that are just shot for shot. Just read the damn subtitles man!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:26 pm

District 9, KickAss - both s****.

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:07 am

Just watched The Departed after a few recommendations on here. Got very confusing at some points. Spoiler question regarding the ending coming up:
SpoilerShow
The whole end bit is a mess of people getting shot, I found it all very confusing, especially when Wahlberg appears in Damon's room and puts a bullet in his head. Is it safe to assume that what Di Caprio gave the bird was the evidence needed to implicate Damon as the rat, and she was to take this to Wahlberg if anything ever happened to Di Caprio? And if so, why did Wahlberg choose to kill Damon, rather than arrest him?
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Cheik the room wrote:Just watched The Departed after a few recommendations on here. Got very confusing at some points. Spoiler question regarding the ending coming up:
SpoilerShow
The whole end bit is a mess of people getting shot, I found it all very confusing, especially when Wahlberg appears in Damon's room and puts a bullet in his head. Is it safe to assume that what Di Caprio gave the bird was the evidence needed to implicate Damon as the rat, and she was to take this to Wahlberg if anything ever happened to Di Caprio? And if so, why did Wahlberg choose to kill Damon, rather than arrest him?
SpoilerShow
The Evidence wouldn't be usable in court, especially in a corrupt town? I thought that basically Wahlberg's character wanted revenge and a mole in the police department warrants an execution

Cheik the room
Banned
Banned

Post by Cheik the room » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Cisse's Overheating Torso wrote:
Cheik the room wrote:Just watched The Departed after a few recommendations on here. Got very confusing at some points. Spoiler question regarding the ending coming up:
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
The Evidence wouldn't be usable in court, especially in a corrupt town? I thought that basically Wahlberg's character wanted revenge and a mole in the police department warrants an execution
SpoilerShow
That makes sense I just figured at the time with Wahlberg being this "total cop" who has worked for years to bring this case to a conclusion, it seemed out of character for him to murder Damon.
"Yeah, because when they shout go, go, go, go, take him on, take him on, you know, you, you can fly, you go and you try because it's a joy to play in front of our supporters."

Scottish_in_the_Toon
Wood's Touch

Post by Scottish_in_the_Toon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:24 am

TSI wrote:Gravity <wenger>
Braveheart as well

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Inception, seriously we get it, you can enter peoples subconscious/dreams, you dont have to repeat it a million times. its a great premise that's completely over done to the point it became pretentious nonsense.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Cabella The Redeemer wrote:Inception, seriously we get it, you can enter peoples subconscious/dreams, you dont have to repeat it a million times. its a great premise that's completely over done to the point it became pretentious nonsense.
<awe>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:33 am

Cabella The Redeemer wrote:Inception, seriously we get it, you can enter peoples subconscious/dreams, you dont have to repeat it a million times. its a great premise that's completely over done to the point it became pretentious nonsense.
I was annoyed by the hype around it too, "it's a total ****, you won't understand it the first time, the ending is like wooooaaah". Nope. It's very clearly (too clearly imo) laid out by Ellen Page's character. She reminds me of Basil Exposition from Austin Powers, just there to ask the audience questions.
Like all Nolan's films I've seen it's a shame, because it looks brilliant and the score is well done too.
SpoilerShow